The Iron Throne, the V ASOIAF Game (Sign Up - Rules Thread) (Turn Open)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:17:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  The Iron Throne, the V ASOIAF Game (Sign Up - Rules Thread) (Turn Open)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 30
Author Topic: The Iron Throne, the V ASOIAF Game (Sign Up - Rules Thread) (Turn Open)  (Read 48997 times)
ASPN
Dr_Novella

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: February 05, 2017, 10:23:00 PM »

I might of died, but at least the Starks look bad now.
leonardothered
United States

« Reply #251 on: February 05, 2017, 10:28:54 PM »

And Balon proved a much wiser king than in canon.
ASPN
Dr_Novella

« Reply #252 on: February 05, 2017, 11:08:56 PM »

And Balon proved a much wiser king than in canon.

Canon Balon also did better, taking large chunks of the North.
Dereich
YaBB God

« Reply #253 on: February 05, 2017, 11:15:51 PM »

I've always disliked the Greyjoys in these games and thought they are essentially traps for aspiring players. Once you get the role you realize you have no potential allies (because nobody SERIOUSLY wants to allow the realm to split up), too few military resources to have a critical impact on the war, but a strong enough navy to make invasion highly unlikely. Garlan is the only one who came close to a significant impact and that's because that game was pre-Wot5k and independence wasn't the only option.
ASPN
Dr_Novella

« Reply #254 on: February 05, 2017, 11:35:20 PM »

I've always disliked the Greyjoys in these games and thought they are essentially traps for aspiring players. Once you get the role you realize you have no potential allies (because nobody SERIOUSLY wants to allow the realm to split up), too few military resources to have a critical impact on the war, but a strong enough navy to make invasion highly unlikely. Garlan is the only one who came close to a significant impact and that's because that game was pre-Wot5k and independence wasn't the only option.

Yeah, whole time I played I thought. "It don't really matter who I side with, they gonna back stab me anyways." Was banking on the Targaryan deciding I wasn't worth the trouble of retaking.
leonardothered
United States

« Reply #255 on: February 05, 2017, 11:45:00 PM »

Yeah, whole time I played I thought. "It don't really matter who I side with, they gonna back stab me anyways." Was banking on the Targaryan deciding I wasn't worth the trouble of retaking.

Yeah my thinking was "trusting a Greyjoy seems really foolish" and that's show prejudice lol

Paid off for Viserys and would have made a great asset. I disagree though Dereich, the importance of naval powers cannot be underestimated. They can only be challenged by one of the other real navies and therefore you rule the best form of travel in the game.
Dereich
YaBB God

« Reply #256 on: February 05, 2017, 11:50:46 PM »

Yeah my thinking was "trusting a Greyjoy seems really foolish" and that's show prejudice lol

Paid off for Viserys and would have made a great asset. I disagree though Dereich, the importance of naval powers cannot be underestimated. They can only be challenged by one of the other real navies and therefore you rule the best form of travel in the game.

Sure, but travel for what? The Greyjoys don't have the manpower to seriously stand against any of the other Lords Paramount on Westerosi soil. Using the Iron Fleet to raid is well and good in the short-term but it does no good in securing allies or Ironborn independence. Choosing the Greyjoys gives a great and rare resource in a navy...but that's really ALL it gives you. The Tyrells, Essosi, and Stannis also have navies with the added benefit of significant land resources or allies as well.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #257 on: February 05, 2017, 11:53:34 PM »

I don't think we should rush into general rules, this game does show that a lot of what can happen is far from inevitable and a result of player's decisions more than anything.

For the record, there's quite a few surprises I've left in the game waiting to be discovered, which can significantly alter the balance. Garlan, for example, figured on its own the eggs could be hatched and came up with a solution. There's other things out there as well, some of which I might unleash on my own if the game grows too unbalanced or too boring.
leonardothered
United States

« Reply #258 on: February 06, 2017, 12:05:55 AM »

Agreed just fun to debate the various distinctions of each house/major power

I personally would have chosen Greyjoy over Dorne for example, but playing as them makes me value them a lot more
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #259 on: February 06, 2017, 12:07:30 AM »

I'm beginning to see a pattern. One turn is good for me, and then one turn is bad for me. This game is an emotional rollercoaster.
ASPN
Dr_Novella

« Reply #260 on: February 06, 2017, 12:18:48 AM »

At any rate, I am game for rejoining. Maybe not as a Greyjoy though.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #261 on: February 06, 2017, 12:23:08 AM »

At any rate, I am game for rejoining. Maybe not as a Greyjoy though.

That would be nice!

Some available characters (other than Victarion, Euron and Asha) are:

The High Sparrow (yes, the book + show one)
Randyll Tarly, Lord of Horn Hill
Leyton Hightower, Lord of Oldtown
Yohn Royce, Lord of Runestone
Roose Bolton, Lord of the Dreadfort
Wyman Manderly, Lord of White Harbor
leonardothered
United States

« Reply #262 on: February 06, 2017, 01:17:52 AM »

High sparrow could be quite fun though Greyjoy will be necessary after they get done with their potential kingsmoot
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #263 on: February 06, 2017, 06:38:01 AM »

I'm less busy so I can be back if you all want.
Garlan Gunter
United Kingdom

« Reply #264 on: February 06, 2017, 11:51:13 AM »

I absolutely loved playing the Greyjoys - ships, crazy cast of various characters, risk-taking, madness, unpredictability, etc. And I think one of the fun things about this games is (at least ideally) that everyone has endless potential beyond their apparent resources - as I hope Ramsay Snow and Aurane Waters have both in their time proved...!

So Dr_Novella don't abandon the squiddies unless you really want to - not speaking from self interest here! If Vissy got copped I would definitely consider reentering as Asha or Euron
Emmon Frey
Elmo
Rookie
« Reply #265 on: February 06, 2017, 12:04:04 PM »

I would definitely consider reentering Asha

FTFY
Swedge
Rookie
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #266 on: February 06, 2017, 12:25:23 PM »

You know the old saying, what is dead may never die!
leonardothered
United States

« Reply #267 on: February 06, 2017, 01:08:12 PM »

So can I start with diplomacy even though crises aren't up?
Emmon Frey
Elmo
Rookie
« Reply #268 on: February 06, 2017, 02:57:20 PM »

I dare say the diplomacy never ends.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #269 on: February 06, 2017, 03:34:55 PM »

Hats off to Lumine for another cracker turn
ASPN
Dr_Novella

« Reply #270 on: February 06, 2017, 05:09:52 PM »

I absolutely loved playing the Greyjoys - ships, crazy cast of various characters, risk-taking, madness, unpredictability, etc. And I think one of the fun things about this games is (at least ideally) that everyone has endless potential beyond their apparent resources - as I hope Ramsay Snow and Aurane Waters have both in their time proved...!

So Dr_Novella don't abandon the squiddies unless you really want to - not speaking from self interest here! If Vissy got copped I would definitely consider reentering as Asha or Euron

Maybe. Though going by kingsmoot, Vicarion would probably get it. Didn't send Asha to do anything and I don't remember if Euron has the horn yet.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #271 on: February 06, 2017, 05:29:24 PM »

Ideally not, I want the crises up before getting the PM barrages.
leonardothered
United States

« Reply #272 on: February 06, 2017, 05:30:48 PM »

Ideally not, I want the crises up before getting the PM barrages.

Roger that, everyone barrage Lumine Wink
ASPN
Dr_Novella

« Reply #273 on: February 06, 2017, 08:31:50 PM »

Hm...Maybe we could say with the other candidates ether too far away or held by Starks, that Asha strong arms her way to being the next ruler? I'd rejoin as a Greyjoy for that. (Otherwise the High Sparrow is tempting)
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #274 on: February 06, 2017, 09:36:16 PM »

Hm...Maybe we could say with the other candidates ether too far away or held by Starks, that Asha strong arms her way to being the next ruler? I'd rejoin as a Greyjoy for that. (Otherwise the High Sparrow is tempting)

Isn't he dead?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 30  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies