Unenumerated Rights
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:00:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Unenumerated Rights
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Are there are any unenumerated rights protected by the Constitution?
Yes, there are many

Yes, but only a few

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 32

Author Topic: Unenumerated Rights  (Read 15442 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2005, 09:20:16 PM »

See, I simply interpret that post differently:

Of course you do, and that is the point.  And it is our differences that make privacy so important!

A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2005, 09:23:37 PM »

There is no constitutional right to privacy, so it's irrelevant.
I would say that there is indeed a right to privacy. Such a deduction is supported, in my view, by the penumbra (sorry that I have to resort to this word) of the Fourth Amendment.

Hah, 'penumbra.' That's a neat way of admitting it's not actually part of the fourth amendment.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2005, 09:24:31 PM »

There is no constitutional right to privacy, so it's irrelevant.
I would say that there is indeed a right to privacy. Such a deduction is supported, in my view, by the penumbra (sorry that I have to resort to this word) of the Fourth Amendment.

Hah, 'penumbra.' That's a neat way of admitting it's not actually part of the fourth amendment.

But as you yourself said, congress has no powers not specifically given to it.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2005, 09:29:15 PM »

Of course, but you can violate a valid federal law in private. The things you care about - abortion, drugs, and prostitution - can not be regulated by Congress, except in DC and other federal territories, in which Congress is permuted to act as a full legislature.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2005, 09:34:03 PM »

Of course, but you can violate a valid federal law in private. The things you care about - abortion, drugs, and prostitution - can not be regulated by Congress, except in DC and other federal territories, in which Congress is permuted to act as a full legislature.

The regulations states apply to these things are clearly in violation of the right to privacy found in the constitution, and should be ruled as such.  Perhaps one day..
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2005, 09:38:06 PM »

The states are not bound to the enumerated powers of Congress. There is no generic right to privacy applicable against every form of government.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2005, 09:40:28 PM »

The states are not bound to the enumerated powers of Congress. There is no generic right to privacy applicable against every form of government.

Apparentely it is in the fourth amendment.  Or at the very least the spirit of the document.  The point is, philip, it is preferable to interpret the old document that way rather than let states inhabited by religious intolerants run roughshod over Americans freedoms.   
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2005, 09:40:47 PM »

I will openly admit that it's not a part of the Fourth Amendment. I'm arguing that the right to privacy is an unenumerated right. My reference to the Fourth Amendment is to provide the basis for my assertion that there is indeed a right to privacy.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2005, 09:41:43 PM »

Apparentely it is in the fourth amendment.  Or at the very least the spirit of the document.  The point is, philip, it is preferable to interpret the old document that way rather than let states inhabited by religious intolerants run roughshod over Americans freedoms.   
Hmm, I'm not exactly comfortable with interpreting the Constitution inappropriately merely for convenience.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2005, 09:43:23 PM »

Hmm, I'm not exactly comfortable with interpreting the Constitution inappropriately merely for convenience.

They are.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2005, 03:42:51 PM »

There are no unenumerated rights, and as a matter of practicality there cannot be as the Constitution lays out no objective standard for discerning these rights.  Unless there is an objective standard for what the 9th Amendment protects, then the "loose constructionist" position allows judges to determine that anything they like is protected.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2005, 03:47:01 PM »

No, you're wrong. The unenumerated rights are all those areas over which Congress has no jurisdiction.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2005, 03:51:38 PM »

There are no unenumerated rights...
Then what is the point of the Ninth Amendment?
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2005, 06:08:46 PM »

No, you're wrong. The unenumerated rights are all those areas over which Congress has no jurisdiction.

There are no unenumerated rights...
Then what is the point of the Ninth Amendment?

These are not "rights" per se.  The states can still regulate these things, but the Federal government can't.  The Ninth Amendment, in my view, states that simply because I don't have a right to wear a yellow T-shirt doesn't mean congress can restrict my right to wear a yellow T-shrt.  Congress doesn't have the authority to do this, and just because my protections aren't spelled out, the limits on Congress certainly are.  This does not mean that I have a "right" to these things.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies