Unenumerated Rights (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:09:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Unenumerated Rights (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Are there are any unenumerated rights protected by the Constitution?
Yes, there are many

Yes, but only a few

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 32

Author Topic: Unenumerated Rights  (Read 15590 times)
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« on: July 15, 2005, 03:42:51 PM »

There are no unenumerated rights, and as a matter of practicality there cannot be as the Constitution lays out no objective standard for discerning these rights.  Unless there is an objective standard for what the 9th Amendment protects, then the "loose constructionist" position allows judges to determine that anything they like is protected.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2005, 06:08:46 PM »

No, you're wrong. The unenumerated rights are all those areas over which Congress has no jurisdiction.

There are no unenumerated rights...
Then what is the point of the Ninth Amendment?

These are not "rights" per se.  The states can still regulate these things, but the Federal government can't.  The Ninth Amendment, in my view, states that simply because I don't have a right to wear a yellow T-shirt doesn't mean congress can restrict my right to wear a yellow T-shrt.  Congress doesn't have the authority to do this, and just because my protections aren't spelled out, the limits on Congress certainly are.  This does not mean that I have a "right" to these things.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies