Democrats hurt by lack of Sanders?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:55:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Democrats hurt by lack of Sanders?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Democrats hurt by lack of Sanders?  (Read 811 times)
PAK Man

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 28, 2016, 11:53:02 PM »

Something I've been thinking about ever since the election - are there states where Democrats simply stayed home because Bernie Sanders was not the presidential nominee? And this, in turn, hurt downballot Democrats?

I really believe this is why Democrats utterly collapsed in Iowa on election night. Sanders was extremely popular here, especially among the younger crowd. Heck, Clinton just BARELY won the caucuses, and even that's been disputed since some of her caucus locations were won by a coin toss. Many of my friends who supporter Sanders absolutely refused to back Clinton. And I have one friend who only voted for her because he saw how close the election was getting and was afraid Trump would win. Many of them voted for Gary Johnson. I think this is part of the reason why Monica Vernon lost by such a big margin to Rod Blum, even though he looked like a goner a year before the election.

Could the same thing have happened in states like Wisconsin? Sanders easily won the state, but with him not at the top of the ticket, did his supporters simply stay home or vote third party? And did that cause a drag on Feingold, whose loss was probably the most shocking on election night?

Any thoughts?
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2016, 07:20:18 PM »

Yeah, for some reason Iowa hates Clinton.

I feel that Sanders could have at least kept Iowa close, if not outright winning. He definitely would have won Michigan and Wisconsin, dragging Feingold over the line.

Basically, he would have been significantly stronger in the midwest, although an anti-sanders person might argue he could have been weaker in VA,NC, and FL. I would say that overall, he would have done better than Clinton on election night, and would have over performed the polls because of his millennial base
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2016, 04:53:31 PM »

Sanders certainly wouldn't have lost Essex County, Vermont.

I don't think he would have won Iowa, but it would have been closer.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2016, 09:28:59 PM »

I think Sanders would have won with the Obama 272 EV firewall map, but the national PV would have been substantially closer as urban CA did not like him.  VA would be gone with Sanders, and CO would be closer.
I don't think suburban DC would have gone for Sanders like it did for Clinton and Obama.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2016, 09:32:41 PM »

I think Sanders would have won with the Obama 272 EV firewall map, but the national PV would have been substantially closer as urban CA did not like him.  VA would be gone with Sanders, and CO would be closer.
LOL no. Hippie potheads would have boosted the D margins there.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2016, 10:01:48 PM »

Sanders might have been able to carry McGinty, Van Ostern, and Feingold to victory. He definitely could have made Bayh, Gregg, Gray, Bullock, Kander, Koster, Cooper, and Ross perform better, and probably made Ross, Gregg, Kander, and Koster win. Sanders might even have been able to carry Bayh to victory.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2016, 10:04:35 PM »

Sanders might have been able to carry McGinty, Van Ostern, and Feingold to victory. He definitely could have made Bayh, Gregg, Gray, Bullock, Kander, Koster, Cooper, and Ross perform better, and probably made Ross, Gregg, Kander, and Koster win. Sanders might even have been able to carry Bayh to victory.
Nah, Bayh's baggage brought him down, and to finish him, Pence pulled Young across to victory. But I do agree 100% with you on all the others.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2016, 10:08:47 PM »

Nah, Bayh's baggage brought him down, and to finish him, Pence pulled Young across to victory. But I do agree 100% with you on all the others.
I have to imagine many Sanders/Trump voters voted for Young, the Republican candidate, or the libertarian nominee Lucy Brenton.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2016, 10:33:51 PM »

Can we please stop with the Sanders thing. He would've lost worse than Clinton. Half his primary voters were to the right of Clinton. Most people just thought "nice old honest guy who isn't Clinton". People in the general would've rejected him once they learned how far left he was.
Cynthia
ueutyi
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -3.63

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2016, 04:45:12 AM »

Can we please stop with the Sanders thing. He would've lost worse than Clinton. Half his primary voters were to the right of Clinton. Most people just thought "nice old honest guy who isn't Clinton". People in the general would've rejected him once they learned how far left he was.

It has nothing to do with left/right divide, but establishment/outsider divide. A generic R wouldn't win this way against Clinton even with more moderate policies.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2016, 07:02:01 PM »

My post was referring to him mounting an absolutely massive campaign for fellow Democrats when he wasn't the nominee.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies