PEOTUS Wants to strip citizenship or jail Flag Burners
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:34:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  PEOTUS Wants to strip citizenship or jail Flag Burners
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: PEOTUS Wants to strip citizenship or jail Flag Burners  (Read 1667 times)
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2016, 06:23:01 PM »

in 2005 when social values were so far to the right of where they are today on just about every issue, and Hillary didn't want to revoke people's citizenship over it.

A bad idea is a bad idea regardless of who proposes it.
AtorBoltox

« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2016, 07:03:54 PM »

Donald Trump will be President of the United States in less than two months, Hillary Clinton is a has been politician who will never hold public office again. The election is over, you can't keep crying 'BUT HILLARY!' every single time Trump does something stupid.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2016, 07:11:30 PM »

This guy is supposed to make America great again?
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2016, 07:13:52 PM »

This creature is a total loon.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2016, 09:34:56 PM »

Damn boi

Politics1.com ‏@Politics1com  4m4 minutes ago
Flag burning "is a first amendment right, but you do it in front of me, I’m going to beat the hell out of you" - US Sen Joe Manchin (D-WV)

Pathetic attempt to look tough
What a lame, watered down, PC misquotation of Johnny Cash.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2016, 12:21:11 AM »

Europe hates freedom, lets not copy them thankyouverymuch.

Flag burning is a protest.  As long as it's not a stolen flag and fire safety is followed, people should be able to burn whatever the hell they want.  Holy books, flags, draft cards, bras, etc.

Yep.  My sister studied in Germany last year, and the disconnect between your average European and average American on freedom of expression was almost unbelievable.  They would very understandably say, "Well, given our history, we are very weary of hate speech" ... but I don't buy it.  If anything, the Nazi era should have strengthened resolve for being able to stand up and say whatever you believe without fear of retribution from your government.

However, I know that is the inherent liberty-lovin' ignoramus in me.  The rest of the world has thought of us as a bunch of liberty-above-all lunatic hicks since the Revolution, and I'm fine with that. Smiley

They have valid reasoning for opposing legalized hate speech. It's considerably more difficult to use demagogic politics and incite hate when such remarks are punishable by law. This protects the vulnerable from the freedom of the priviliged to mistreat them and construct a sociopolitical atmosphere of abuse.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2016, 12:21:30 AM »

Flag burning is a protest.  As long as it's not a stolen flag and fire safety is followed, people should be able to burn whatever the hell they want.  Holy books, flags, draft cards, bras, etc.

Yep.  My sister studied in Germany last year, and the disconnect between your average European and average American on freedom of expression was almost unbelievable.  They would very understandably say, "Well, given our history, we are very weary of hate speech" ... but I don't buy it.  If anything, the Nazi era should have strengthened resolve for being able to stand up and say whatever you believe without fear of retribution from your government.

However, I know that is the inherent liberty-lovin' ignoramus in me.  The rest of the world has thought of us as a bunch of liberty-above-all lunatic hicks since the Revolution, and I'm fine with that. Smiley

They have valid reasoning for opposing legalized hate speech. It's considerably more difficult to use demagogic politics and incite hate when such remarks are punishable by law. This protects the vulnerable from the freedom of the priviliged to mistreat them and construct a sociopolitical atmosphere of abuse.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2016, 09:00:41 AM »

Donald Trump will be President of the United States in less than two months, Hillary Clinton is a has been politician who will never hold public office again. The election is over, you can't keep crying 'BUT HILLARY!' every single time Trump does something stupid.

Just pointing out the constant double standard that permeates this place.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2016, 09:23:57 AM »

One was 10 years ago, and the other is the future president yesterday. 
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2016, 09:26:22 AM »

So did Hillary change her view since then or was she pandering back then, or is it just convenient to focus on Trump since he won without even acknowledging a President Hillary would feel the same way Trump does?
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2016, 09:44:29 AM »

So did Hillary change her view since then or was she pandering back then, or is it just convenient to focus on Trump since he won without even acknowledging a President Hillary would feel the same way Trump does?

Sure she probably would feel the same way. The thing is, she's not going to be President and has zero power. Her opinion is irrelevant and it's a straw man.

Donald J. Trump's opinion matter. The Left also historically, at the base, tends to support flag burning as a first amendment right. Not that they approve; that they believe it's a constitutional right.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2016, 09:51:40 AM »

Sure she probably would feel the same way. The thing is, she's not going to be President and has zero power. Her opinion is irrelevant and it's a straw man.

Donald J. Trump's opinion matter. The Left also historically, at the base, tends to support flag burning as a first amendment right. Not that they approve; that they believe it's a constitutional right.

You and Jerry Arkansas are making my point on double standards.  Hillary lovers don't care she feels the same way Trump does only because she didn't win.  Thanks!  Smiley
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2016, 10:18:09 AM »

Bad proposals, and stripping away citizenship is most likely unconstitutional. Burning the flag is very disrespectful, and I strongly disavow it, but should be freedom of opinion. I wouldn’t punish flag burning with anything, but personally strongly oppose it.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2016, 10:26:22 AM »

You and Jerry Arkansas are making my point on double standards.  Hillary lovers don't care she feels the same way Trump does only because she didn't win.  Thanks!  Smiley

Uh, yeah. If Hillary were PE and proposed this, I'm fairly sure we'd all oppose it too. But she's not, Trump is.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2016, 12:48:11 PM »

Grumps I know it hard for you to understand this but sh**t changes over time.  This statement was made two days ago.  Sorry the man you supported is a rapist, racist, racist and plain dumb.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2016, 05:22:02 PM »

It would be fun to watch him try. Impressed if he does pull citizenships. Do we get sent to Nauru or the Ecudorian Embassy?

Nauru is already full Spicy.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2016, 12:38:50 AM »

That's a debate for another time, but Americans (IMO thankfully) have historically valued liberty and freedom from government censorship of dissenting political thought - no matter how much it offends the majority - too much to ever go down that path of restricting free speech that much.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2016, 12:51:27 AM »

Good news guys. This is bigly unconstitutional so he can't do this and won't do this. But it sure is fun to talk about.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2016, 02:07:30 PM »

Not at all. I mean yes, he IS insane. But it's the insanity of a rabid, obese wolverine. This sudden interest in protective vexillology didn't come from nowhere. It's an attempt at cunning and a threat display or promise.

First it's trying to distract from his DISQUALIFYING business interests. As a distraction, it failed. Thus the promised (hahah) divorce from his business interests.

But it also does more spadework for his pet idea of revoking citizenship, moving the Overton Window.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2016, 02:17:31 PM »

Good news guys. This is bigly unconstitutional so he can't do this and won't do this. But it sure is fun to talk about.
we all know, after all, that the government has never done anything unconstitutional before
Downnice
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.64, S: -7.86

« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2016, 02:21:14 PM »

won't happen
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2016, 02:26:28 PM »

@reactionary......where is that bad-ass scalia thing from? xD

in other news....if anybody cares....january 2015 trump called burning flags a sign of free speech.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2016, 04:53:35 PM »

Is the fact that the President-elect shows a lack of even a basic understanding of the Constitution not a bit concerning to you?
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2016, 07:01:20 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies