PEOTUS Wants to strip citizenship or jail Flag Burners (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:42:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  PEOTUS Wants to strip citizenship or jail Flag Burners (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: PEOTUS Wants to strip citizenship or jail Flag Burners  (Read 1723 times)
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« on: November 29, 2016, 12:16:45 PM »

Europe hates freedom, lets not copy them thankyouverymuch.

Flag burning is a protest.  As long as it's not a stolen flag and fire safety is followed, people should be able to burn whatever the hell they want.  Holy books, flags, draft cards, bras, etc.

Yep.  My sister studied in Germany last year, and the disconnect between your average European and average American on freedom of expression was almost unbelievable.  They would very understandably say, "Well, given our history, we are very weary of hate speech" ... but I don't buy it.  If anything, the Nazi era should have strengthened resolve for being able to stand up and say whatever you believe without fear of retribution from your government.

However, I know that is the inherent liberty-lovin' ignoramus in me.  The rest of the world has thought of us as a bunch of liberty-above-all lunatic hicks since the Revolution, and I'm fine with that. Smiley
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 12:38:50 AM »

Europe hates freedom, lets not copy them thankyouverymuch.

Flag burning is a protest.  As long as it's not a stolen flag and fire safety is followed, people should be able to burn whatever the hell they want.  Holy books, flags, draft cards, bras, etc.

Yep.  My sister studied in Germany last year, and the disconnect between your average European and average American on freedom of expression was almost unbelievable.  They would very understandably say, "Well, given our history, we are very weary of hate speech" ... but I don't buy it.  If anything, the Nazi era should have strengthened resolve for being able to stand up and say whatever you believe without fear of retribution from your government.

However, I know that is the inherent liberty-lovin' ignoramus in me.  The rest of the world has thought of us as a bunch of liberty-above-all lunatic hicks since the Revolution, and I'm fine with that. Smiley

They have valid reasoning for opposing legalized hate speech. It's considerably more difficult to use demagogic politics and incite hate when such remarks are punishable by law. This protects the vulnerable from the freedom of the priviliged to mistreat them and construct a sociopolitical atmosphere of abuse.

That's a debate for another time, but Americans (IMO thankfully) have historically valued liberty and freedom from government censorship of dissenting political thought - no matter how much it offends the majority - too much to ever go down that path of restricting free speech that much.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies