OH: More Money Stuff (August)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:13:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  OH: More Money Stuff (August)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 76 77 78 [79]
Author Topic: OH: More Money Stuff (August)  (Read 186135 times)
Ohioguy29

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1950 on: October 29, 2018, 11:59:23 AM »

Buckeyenut is right that Hamilton County has absolutely no loyalty to DeWine. He has no "home base" advantage in Cincinnati.

For the record, the voters I talked to seemed more like they disliked Cordray than like they liked DeWine (they may have been planning to leave that part of the ballot blank for all I know.) This is very anecdotal though, I didn't phone bank for very long. I think what it comes down to is that Cordray is pretty much a "typical politician," while people see Aftab and Sherrod Brown as beautiful, flawless angels. He's also just less well known; everyone I talked to knew who Aftab was and most knew Sherrod Brown, but some people hadn't heard of Cordray or didn't know much.
Ohioguy29

« Reply #1951 on: October 29, 2018, 12:03:52 PM »

More anecdotal observations (not from phone banking): there's a lot of pissy Republicans/conservatives /single issue gun voters planning to vote for Travis Irvine. Libertarians will easily get the 3% needed to retain ballot access in 2020.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1952 on: October 29, 2018, 12:07:22 PM »

Buckeyenut is right that Hamilton County has absolutely no loyalty to DeWine. He has no "home base" advantage in Cincinnati.

For the record, the voters I talked to seemed more like they disliked Cordray than like they liked DeWine (they may have been planning to leave that part of the ballot blank for all I know.) This is very anecdotal though, I didn't phone bank for very long. I think what it comes down to is that Cordray is pretty much a "typical politician," while people see Aftab and Sherrod Brown as beautiful, flawless angels. He's also just less well known; everyone I talked to knew who Aftab was and most knew Sherrod Brown, but some people hadn't heard of Cordray or didn't know much.

I mean...did anyone ever like DeWine?
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #1953 on: October 29, 2018, 03:35:45 PM »

More anecdotal observations (not from phone banking): there's a lot of pissy Republicans/conservatives /single issue gun voters planning to vote for Travis Irvine. Libertarians will easily get the 3% needed to retain ballot access in 2020.
Excellent news! Takes votes from DeWine so Cordray can win!
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #1954 on: October 29, 2018, 05:54:15 PM »

Single issue gun voters should prefer Cordray to DeWine anyway.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1955 on: October 29, 2018, 06:11:42 PM »

Is DeWine to Cordray’s left on guns?! Surprising!
Ohioguy29

« Reply #1956 on: October 29, 2018, 07:46:55 PM »

DeWine and Feinstein were frequent collaborators on gun legislation in the Senate. He cosponsored AWBs, there was some really extreme gun control bill he sponsored that he couldn't attract any support for, he was the first Senator endorsed by the Brady campaign. DeWine claims to be pro-gun now, but we've seen his true colors. And Kasich's flip flopping on the issue shows that if someone doesn't actually care about gun rights, they'll just go whichever way the political winds are blowing.

Cordray was endorsed by the NRA and Buckeye Firearms Association in his previous statewide runs. He argued in favor of gun rights before the Supreme Court. He defended Ohio's preemption law against gungrabbers in Cleveland, and he pursued concealed carry reciprocity with other states.

Sadly, Cordray moved on guns during the primary and didn't pivot for the general. If he had, I think he could've gotten more gun people. Nevertheless, there's only one major candidate who has never supported an AWB and that's Rich Cordray. As someone who cares about gun rights, I trust Cordray on this issue more than DeWine. I can tell he actually values the second amendment, unlike his opponent.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #1957 on: October 29, 2018, 08:58:53 PM »

DeWine and Feinstein were frequent collaborators on gun legislation in the Senate. He cosponsored AWBs, there was some really extreme gun control bill he sponsored that he couldn't attract any support for, he was the first Senator endorsed by the Brady campaign. DeWine claims to be pro-gun now, but we've seen his true colors. And Kasich's flip flopping on the issue shows that if someone doesn't actually care about gun rights, they'll just go whichever way the political winds are blowing.

Cordray was endorsed by the NRA and Buckeye Firearms Association in his previous statewide runs. He argued in favor of gun rights before the Supreme Court. He defended Ohio's preemption law against gungrabbers in Cleveland, and he pursued concealed carry reciprocity with other states.

Sadly, Cordray moved on guns during the primary and didn't pivot for the general. If he had, I think he could've gotten more gun people. Nevertheless, there's only one major candidate who has never supported an AWB and that's Rich Cordray. As someone who cares about gun rights, I trust Cordray on this issue more than DeWine. I can tell he actually values the second amendment, unlike his opponent.

As someone who would happily support a new AWB, Cordray really didn't shift on guns during the primary, so I'm not sure where that perception comes from. Seems like a bit of a lose-lose, though. Pro-gun control Democrats aren't happy with him for remaining conservative on the issue, and pro-gun Democrats are under some mistake impression he "evolved."
Ohioguy29

« Reply #1958 on: October 29, 2018, 09:46:03 PM »
« Edited: October 29, 2018, 09:50:30 PM by Ohioguy29 »

As someone who would happily support a new AWB, Cordray really didn't shift on guns during the primary, so I'm not sure where that perception comes from. Seems like a bit of a lose-lose, though. Pro-gun control Democrats aren't happy with him for remaining conservative on the issue, and pro-gun Democrats are under some mistake impression he "evolved."

He never supported a mag limit or raising the age of gun ownership before, and I disagree with both of those even though I don't think it's the end of the world. The mag limit is the main thing that irritates the pro-gun side from what I've seen. He never supported banning bump stocks before either or said much of anything about background checks, but anyone who has a major problem with those is an unreachable nut imo.

Altogether I was impressed with how he didn't cave even in the face of extreme pressure. People really wanted him to support an AWB and he didn't back down. It's very clear to me that he supports gun rights not just as a matter of political expediency, but as a deeply held principle. I think he needed to adjust his rhetoric for the general moreso than his policy. During debate questions about guns, why did he not call Mike DeWine out for his past? Why not run nasty ads in southeast Ohio about how DeWine is a gun grabber? He portrays himself as the less pro-gun candidate for some reason, even though he isn't.
Ohioguy29

« Reply #1959 on: October 29, 2018, 09:51:44 PM »

Anecdote time yet again: some super right wing Ohioan I follow on twitter still seems to be planning to vote for Cordray because of the gun issue last time I checked. So at least there's that.
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 76 77 78 [79]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies