OH: More Money Stuff (August)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:37:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  OH: More Money Stuff (August)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 79
Author Topic: OH: More Money Stuff (August)  (Read 183357 times)
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: February 28, 2017, 11:31:54 AM »

I'm sticking with what my gut has been telling me for some time now: it's going to be Schiavoni. Cordray really seems to prefer being a bureaucrat to being an elected.
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -7.22

« Reply #201 on: February 28, 2017, 11:38:59 AM »

I will give you major kudos if it ends up being him Tongue
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #202 on: February 28, 2017, 11:43:56 AM »

Let's be honest he also isn't running because he wants to be a future speaker of the house
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #203 on: February 28, 2017, 11:52:40 AM »

Let's be honest he also isn't running because he wants to be a future speaker of the house

Was about to say, this is really the first major announcement of the 2018 Minority Leader contest.

Or hey, could be Speaker! Who hecking knows?
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #204 on: February 28, 2017, 12:01:32 PM »

Was about to say, this is really the first major announcement of the 2018 Minority Leader contest.

Personally I think it will be speaker, GOP is over streched, Trump is going full steam ahead on Obamacare repeal while also possiblely putting boots in the ground in Syria, and I just don't see were else the Bernie energy will go other than taking over the dems ala tea party
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #205 on: February 28, 2017, 01:18:32 PM »

Personally I think it will be speaker, GOP is over streched, Trump is going full steam ahead on Obamacare repeal while also possiblely putting boots in the ground in Syria, and I just don't see were else the Bernie energy will go other than taking over the dems ala tea party

Why would Ds choose him over someone like Joe Crowley who has widespread support from the caucus?
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #206 on: February 28, 2017, 01:20:55 PM »

Just wish we had more Cory Gardners in the party, pols who aren't cowards and actually willing to sacrifice something in order to run.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #207 on: February 28, 2017, 01:25:37 PM »

Why would Ds choose him over someone like Joe Crowley who has widespread support from the caucus?
I'm a NYer but Trump, Chuck, and Joe would be NY overkill
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -7.22

« Reply #208 on: February 28, 2017, 01:36:03 PM »

I'm a NYer but Trump, Chuck, and Joe would be NY overkill

Nah man let's take it a step further. Trump, Chuck Schumer, Joe Crowley leading Dems, Peter King leading Rs, Cuomo as NGA Chair, Maloney as DCCC chair, Collins as NRCC chair, the national animal becomes NY Pizza, national anthem becomes a song from Hamilton, the county changes its name to Greater New York. NY TAKEOVER!!!!

(okay Im done)
JMT

« Reply #209 on: February 28, 2017, 02:14:16 PM »

What do you guys think of Betty Sutton? Says she's considering. If she runs, is it likely she becomes the nominee (assuming Cordray stays out?)
Rjjr77
« Reply #210 on: February 28, 2017, 02:15:35 PM »

I'm sticking with what my gut has been telling me for some time now: it's going to be Schiavoni. Cordray really seems to prefer being a bureaucrat to being an elected.

I don't think Cordray is in, and never have, even if he gets fired it will most likely be very late to make a run. I think the D's will nominate Sutton, who did leave her federal gig
Rjjr77
« Reply #211 on: February 28, 2017, 02:18:31 PM »

What do you guys think of Betty Sutton? Says she's considering. If she runs, is it likely she becomes the nominee (assuming Cordray stays out?)

Sutton is most likely the best candidate for the dems at this juncture, she's got a bit of a rep as a lazy campaigner though.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #212 on: February 28, 2017, 02:27:31 PM »

Lazy campaigner is ... not the worst Dems think of Sutton. Also, you've presented a major false equivalency, RJ. Cordray can't choose to leave his job, even if he wants to. Not that I'd be surprised if she ran, given her resignation.

Crowley's a good 11 years older than Ryan. They can both be minority leader/Speaker.

Just wish we had more Cory Gardners in the party, pols who aren't cowards and actually willing to sacrifice something in order to run.
Cory Gardner isn't in the party, period, thank God.

ION: Schiavoni to officially announce tomorrow.
Rjjr77
« Reply #213 on: February 28, 2017, 02:38:35 PM »

Lazy campaigner is ... not the worst Dems think of Sutton. Also, you've presented a major false equivalency, RJ. Cordray can't choose to leave his job, even if he wants to. Not that I'd be surprised if she ran, given her resignation.

Crowley's a good 11 years older than Ryan. They can both be minority leader/Speaker.

Not to be a jerk, but why couldn't Cordray resign to run for office? It's a job not indentured servitude. If Cordray decided tomorrow he wanted to quit and come back and run for governor what is stopping him?

Sutton has her issues, but if she's in she's going to be ahead of Schiavoni or O'Neill as the favored candidate.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #214 on: February 28, 2017, 02:50:29 PM »

Not to be a jerk, but why couldn't Cordray resign to run for office? It's a job not indentured servitude. If Cordray decided tomorrow he wanted to quit and come back and run for governor what is stopping him?

Sutton has her issues, but if she's in she's going to be ahead of Schiavoni or O'Neill as the favored candidate.

I misinterpreted some information about the nature of CFPB Director. It would still be in Cordray's best interest, if he wants to run for Governor, to be fired for standing up to Wall Street and the Trump administration than to resign.

I'm not sure where the lazy campaigner charge comes from. She won a very competitive Democratic primary in '06, and did very well against Renacci in a badly gerrymandered district in '12. However, she had the highest House staff turnover rate for a reason. If she runs, she might honestly have trouble maintaining a campaign apparatus.
Rjjr77
« Reply #215 on: February 28, 2017, 03:00:17 PM »

I misinterpreted some information about the nature of CFPB Director. It would still be in Cordray's best interest, if he wants to run for Governor, to be fired for standing up to Wall Street and the Trump administration than to resign.

I'm not sure where the lazy campaigner charge comes from. She won a very competitive Democratic primary in '06, and did very well against Renacci in a badly gerrymandered district in '12. However, she had the highest House staff turnover rate for a reason. If she runs, she might honestly have trouble maintaining a campaign apparatus.

Most of the talk about her as a campaigner comes from 10 when operatives I knew were furious about her laziness and felt they had to spend more money to protect her against Ganley, money that would have been better served fighting for Driehaus, Wilson, and even Kilroy.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #216 on: February 28, 2017, 03:06:55 PM »

A has-been that never was and a weak candidate to boot.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #217 on: March 01, 2017, 07:13:27 AM »

Sutton to make her intentions known next week.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #218 on: March 01, 2017, 09:57:16 AM »

Hate to double post. But Palenda now officially in for SOS. This could get ugly, as Senator LaRose comes from an independently wealthy family. That said, he was scheduled to have fundraiser in D.C. tonight with Sean Spicer headlining, and Spicer was allegedly made to drop the event from his schedule due to LaRose being so critical of Trump early on. Palenda can probably play on that, regardless.
Rjjr77
« Reply #219 on: March 01, 2017, 12:43:24 PM »

I'm hearing she's in
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #220 on: March 01, 2017, 03:07:23 PM »

Gross
Rjjr77
« Reply #221 on: March 01, 2017, 06:28:49 PM »

She's easily the dem front runner, Husted and Renacci beat her, She beats Taylor, Dewine is a toss up
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #222 on: March 01, 2017, 06:38:11 PM »

How is she easily the Dem front runner over Schiavoni? She's been invisible since 2012.
Rjjr77
« Reply #223 on: March 01, 2017, 06:42:27 PM »
« Edited: March 01, 2017, 06:44:14 PM by Rjjr77 »

How is she easily the Dem front runner over Schiavoni? She's been invisible since 2012.

Schiavoni is invisible to 95% of the state, she represented a larger territory, will be better funded, will have more connections through the county party apparatus, and will have Obama administration connections.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #224 on: March 01, 2017, 06:43:05 PM »

Hate to double post. But Palenda now officially in for SOS. This could get ugly, as Senator LaRose comes from an independently wealthy family. That said, he was scheduled to have fundraiser in D.C. tonight with Sean Spicer headlining, and Spicer was allegedly made to drop the event from his schedule due to LaRose being so critical of Trump early on. Palenda can probably play on that, regardless.

This'll be a fascinating dynamic - Trump deep-sixing potential rising stars like LaRose over their initial critiques of him. I think it could hurt the GOP in a lot of races
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies