OH: More Money Stuff (August)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:35:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  OH: More Money Stuff (August)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 79
Author Topic: OH: More Money Stuff (August)  (Read 184754 times)
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: March 07, 2017, 09:34:12 PM »

still better than Beautiful but with lots of Flaws Purple heart Purple heart Purple heart Ed Fitzgerald, I suppose.
Rjjr77
« Reply #276 on: March 07, 2017, 09:38:08 PM »

Schiavoni's money problem is deceptive. He may not have a lot in the bank himself, but that's because he was doing a lot of fundraising for the Senate Democrats. People like Lou Gentile and Cathy Johnson. He's got good contacts.
And the senate hasn't been fundraising powers.

But more importantly, he has contacts but not the level of Sutton, who will tap into DC, State, and Obama network contacts better

Actually, I'd argue Schiavoni has better contacts than Sutton, at least among Ohio Democrats.
I'd argue that's definitely not the case, she's raised more money, has more contacts in Cleveland and Akron and has been around the game longer, she also matches Schiavoni in labor times with her long time as a labor lawyer. Schiavoni knows more people in cap square but those folks haven't been giving to dems recently.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #277 on: March 07, 2017, 09:57:42 PM »

Schiavoni's money problem is deceptive. He may not have a lot in the bank himself, but that's because he was doing a lot of fundraising for the Senate Democrats. People like Lou Gentile and Cathy Johnson. He's got good contacts.

But more importantly, he has contacts but not the level of Sutton, who will tap into DC, State, and Obama network contacts better

Actually, I'd argue Schiavoni has better contacts than Sutton, at least among Ohio Democrats.
I'd argue that's definitely not the case, she's raised more money, has more contacts in Cleveland and Akron and has been around the game longer, she also matches Schiavoni in labor times with her long time as a labor lawyer. Schiavoni knows more people in cap square but those folks haven't been giving to dems recently.
I'm with X. Schiavoni knows more people across the state, period. Sutton benefits from more national contacts, but the last thing people want now is a beltway insider.
Rjjr77
« Reply #278 on: March 07, 2017, 10:03:29 PM »

I'm with X. Schiavoni knows more people across the state, period. Sutton benefits from more national contacts, but the last thing people want now is a beltway insider.

I disagree that he knows more people across the state, his name ID is tiny and while Sutton is a weak campaigner she's been a strong fundraiser. If Schiavoni was raising Tom Patton level funds as a state senator I'd consider you guys more right, but he isn't.  In fact his numbers have been pretty low every cycle, he's raised a lot less in 8 years than Husted or Dewine raise in a quarter
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #279 on: March 07, 2017, 10:12:41 PM »

Who'd be stronger: Schiavoni or Whaley?
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #280 on: March 08, 2017, 07:03:29 AM »

Endorsed
Rjjr77
« Reply #281 on: March 08, 2017, 06:01:16 PM »

Schiavoni, Whaley is a bit of a loose cannon
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #282 on: March 08, 2017, 06:38:29 PM »

Loose cannons are en vogue these days.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #283 on: March 08, 2017, 07:00:30 PM »

Bon Jovi is going to help Renacci fundraise. He's also hired Greitens deputy campaign manager.
Rjjr77
« Reply #284 on: March 08, 2017, 07:28:26 PM »

Loose cannons are en vogue these days.

Not if you are a 40 year old white lady.
Rjjr77
« Reply #285 on: March 08, 2017, 07:28:59 PM »

Interestingly enough none of that money goes to a state race...
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #286 on: March 13, 2017, 06:46:20 AM »

Connie Pillich will not seek a lower office and is running for governor.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #287 on: March 13, 2017, 10:40:04 AM »

Schiavoni would be a stronger candidate imo, but Pillich would still be a decent enough nominee who won three times in a pretty conservative state house district in suburban Hamilton County before running for OH Treasurer and she'd certainly be much better than Sutton.  In fact, I think if 2014 were even a neutral year, she very well might've beaten Mandel (and if not, she would've barely lost).  But again, Schiavoni is currently the strongest Democrat running (at least on paper, it remains to be seen whether he can improve his fundraising now that he's running in a statewide election).
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #288 on: March 13, 2017, 11:39:14 AM »

Well, Pillich will make a good cross-over appeal. Especially with her military experience. She also adds some geographic diversity, which might be of benefit, since every other statewide Democrat will be from NEOH. Excepting for Leland.

She also has a fundraising lead. She has $435k in the bank right now and raised $3.5 million last cycle running for Treasurer. Sutton meanwhile hasn't been able to fundraise for the last 4 years she was at Saint Lawrence Seaway Development Corporation while Schiavoni still has to prove himself.

And as down as I was on Sutton for being bad to her staff, she's got hustle. Schiavoni's still probably the most dynamic candidate, but I wonder if he can fully commit himself to the Gubernatorial election with two small children at home.
Rjjr77
« Reply #289 on: March 13, 2017, 12:55:13 PM »

Thus begins the end of a promising career.
RIP Pillich
rpryor03
Bahamas

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #290 on: March 13, 2017, 02:07:27 PM »

Connie Pillich? hahahahahahahahaha
catographer
Megameow
United States
« Reply #291 on: March 13, 2017, 02:56:19 PM »

Do Democrats have a chance for statewide office in 2018 in Ohio, a 8-pt Trump state?
Rjjr77
« Reply #292 on: March 13, 2017, 02:59:27 PM »
« Edited: March 13, 2017, 03:26:02 PM by Rjjr77 »

Do Democrats have a chance for statewide office in 2018 in Ohio, a 8-pt Trump state?
Depends on the candidates, republicans have heavyweights for governor and AG and if Frank LaRose wins the SOS primary I expect him to win that seat, auditor and treasurer are open
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #293 on: March 13, 2017, 03:25:10 PM »

Definitely, but it's pretty early.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #294 on: March 13, 2017, 04:16:32 PM »

Depends on the candidates, republicans have heavyweights for governor and AG and if Frank LaRose wins the SOS primary I expect him to win that seat, auditor and treasurer are open
Keith Faber, for auditor, is running and is easily considered a heavyweight. H should clear the primary field, and I imagine Democrats would probably put their eggs in the Treasurer and SOS baskets with regards to downballot offices. Frank LaRose may be picked for LG, or, if Renacci retires, maybe he goes for OH-16, which does not quite include his house, but it does include much of his Senate district, unless someone else runs, and he's more interested in the state level. Didn't some other Republican already announce her intentions for SOS?
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #295 on: March 13, 2017, 04:54:57 PM »

Definitely, but it's pretty early.
Absolutely. Reagan won Ohio by 11 in 1980, and then Dick Celest won the governorship in '82 by a 20 point margin. The situation was a little different, as Jim Rhodes was a lot more unpopular than Kasich is, but the Republican Party was also a lot more unified then. Trump's major swing is not, as of yet, particularly demonstrative of anything other than Clinton being a poor match for the state.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #296 on: March 13, 2017, 05:25:16 PM »

Keith Faber, for auditor, is running and is easily considered a heavyweight. H should clear the primary field, and I imagine Democrats would probably put their eggs in the Treasurer and SOS baskets with regards to downballot offices. Frank LaRose may be picked for LG, or, if Renacci retires, maybe he goes for OH-16, which does not quite include his house, but it does include much of his Senate district, unless someone else runs, and he's more interested in the state level. Didn't some other Republican already announce her intentions for SOS?

The Democrats also have a solid candidate for AG (that and Treasurer are probably the best shots, assuming Leland runs).  LaRose could also very well lose the SoS primary to a weaker, far more right-wing candidate.  Even DeWine is very capable of blowing races if the tide is against him (as we saw in 2006).
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #297 on: March 13, 2017, 05:26:39 PM »

Idk the differences between Schavionni and Pillich, but both seem like they'd be better than Sutton.
Rjjr77
« Reply #298 on: March 13, 2017, 07:36:47 PM »

Faber senate president is a heavyweight Faber as a backbench house member is not. Auditor will be a seat dems could snag.

Pelanda and LaRose look to be the SOS candidates for the Rs LaRose is a top notch general election candidate, Pelanda is solid but no heavy hitter.
Rjjr77
« Reply #299 on: March 13, 2017, 07:38:53 PM »

The Democrats also have a solid candidate for AG (that and Treasurer are probably the best shots, assuming Leland runs).  LaRose could also very well lose the SoS primary to a weaker, far more right-wing candidate.  Even DeWine is very capable of blowing races if the tide is against him (as we saw in 2006).
I don't think Dettlebach? Someone no one has ever heard of matches up to Yost and his war chest. Yost is generally well respected by both parties.

Clyde can beat Pelanda, she can't beat LaRose. Faber and Sprague/Mingo are beatable.

The dems best hope is Pelanda beats LaRose, and Mingo beats sprague. And by some miracle Renacci or Mary Taylor win the Govs. Primary.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies