OH: More Money Stuff (August)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:16:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  OH: More Money Stuff (August)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 79
Author Topic: OH: More Money Stuff (August)  (Read 184526 times)
Rjjr77
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #375 on: April 01, 2017, 02:44:02 PM »

Why doesn't Cordray jump into the race?

I know that he's sworn that he wouldn't voluntarily leave the cfpb, but Trump will likely fire him the day after the Ohio filing as a way of ending his political career for good. The GOP doesn't want Cordray to run and they don't like the cfpb so this strategy would be a way of killing two birds with one stone.
Well 1. He may not want to do it, and 2. Primary democrats are going to hit him and say he gave up and caved to trump
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #376 on: April 01, 2017, 02:57:44 PM »

I know that he's sworn that he wouldn't voluntarily leave the cfpb, but Trump will likely fire him the day after the Ohio filing as a way of ending his political career for good. The GOP doesn't want Cordray to run and they don't like the cfpb so this strategy would be a way of killing two birds with one stone.
Well 1. He may not want to do it, and 2. Primary democrats are going to hit him and say he gave up and caved to trump

Are there any credible challengers to him? I've heard that he's very popular in Ohio; especially with the progressive base.
Rjjr77
« Reply #377 on: April 01, 2017, 04:13:09 PM »

Are there any credible challengers to him? I've heard that he's very popular in Ohio; especially with the progressive base.
Betty Sutton, Joe schiavoni, and Connie pillich are already in, plus Cordray is pro-2nd amendment, which could also bite him in a primary. He may decide to sit this cycle out
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #378 on: April 01, 2017, 04:16:22 PM »

Betty Sutton, Joe schiavoni, and Connie pillich are already in, plus Cordray is pro-2nd amendment, which could also bite him in a primary. He may decide to sit this cycle out

Democrats can't be pro gun even in the Ohio primaries?
Rjjr77
« Reply #379 on: April 01, 2017, 04:23:57 PM »

Democrats can't be pro gun even in the Ohio primaries?

Not to the far left. They made Strickland "evolve". And he didn't have a real primary last year.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #380 on: April 01, 2017, 05:18:21 PM »

I feel like Cordray would waltz over a divided primary field, though, and wouldn't need to change his position on guns to win it. He's easily the elephant. Question is, does Trump fire him?

My thoughts as well.

The GOP is probably planning on Trump firing him the day after the Ohio filing deadline.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #381 on: April 01, 2017, 05:48:09 PM »

You definitely should not feel that way.

He has publicly backed Taylor, his LG, in the run up to the race, I dont believe hes formally endorsed, the majority of Kasich's "team" appears to be backing Mike DeWine.
Worth noting that happened after Taylor betrayed Team Kasich when she voted for the new, Trump-approved OH GOP chair, Jane Timken, over long-time Kasich ally, Matt Borges.
In fairness dewines campaign manager is a long time Kasich operative and he was hired prior to that
It's funny, though, given Kasich ran DeWine's people out of OH GOP leadership back in 2010.
Different Dewine. Kevin DeWine was the party chair in 2010, in 2012 Kasich had him ousted, but he wasn't a Mike Dewine loyalist
He's Mike DeWine's second cousin.
Yes... they were hardly politically connected.
You're kidding, right?
Rjjr77
« Reply #382 on: April 01, 2017, 10:47:55 PM »

You definitely should not feel that way.

He has publicly backed Taylor, his LG, in the run up to the race, I dont believe hes formally endorsed, the majority of Kasich's "team" appears to be backing Mike DeWine.
Worth noting that happened after Taylor betrayed Team Kasich when she voted for the new, Trump-approved OH GOP chair, Jane Timken, over long-time Kasich ally, Matt Borges.
In fairness dewines campaign manager is a long time Kasich operative and he was hired prior to that
It's funny, though, given Kasich ran DeWine's people out of OH GOP leadership back in 2010.
Different Dewine. Kevin DeWine was the party chair in 2010, in 2012 Kasich had him ousted, but he wasn't a Mike Dewine loyalist
He's Mike DeWine's second cousin.
Yes... they were hardly politically connected.
You're kidding, right?

No, they were never tied together, during Kevin DeWine's time as a state nor as ORP chairman

in fact Kevin DeWine was considered by all to be connected with Husted not Mike DeWine.

http://www.cleveland.com/open/index.ssf/2011/11/as_elections_near_intraparty_f.html

read this maybe get some background on the whole thing, I doubt you are connected closely with all of your Second cousins (i couldnt even name half of mine)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #383 on: April 03, 2017, 05:35:24 PM »

Should Sutton run for Renacci's seat if she loses the primary? Or is she already, politically, old news?

Welcome to the forum!

Thank you! I feel as if I am but a mere mortal in the realm of political deities but it was about time for me to actually make an account.

No, we are all quite pathetic.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #384 on: April 07, 2017, 01:43:13 PM »

Interesting profile of new OH GOP chairwoman, Jane Timken.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #385 on: April 13, 2017, 11:47:31 AM »

Things have been strangely quiet for the past couple of weeks. I went to an event a while back where both Pillich and Schiavoni spoke. Second time seeing Schiavoni. He's definitely the better speaker, but Pillich is fine. They were both able to get the crowd going. Spoke to some muckety-mucks and they gave Kucinich 80:20 odds on getting in, which is disturbing. Whaley is still quiet, but she certainly seems to be building toward an announcement. Why she's waiting, I don't know. Meanwhile, Jerry Springer is headlining a Democratic dinner in Fremont next week.
Rjjr77
« Reply #386 on: April 13, 2017, 11:58:44 AM »

Things have been strangely quiet for the past couple of weeks. I went to an event a while back where both Pillich and Schiavoni spoke. Second time seeing Schiavoni. He's definitely the better speaker, but Pillich is fine. They were both able to get the crowd going. Spoke to some muckety-mucks and they gave Kucinich 80:20 odds on getting in, which is disturbing. Whaley is still quiet, but she certainly seems to be building toward an announcement. Why she's waiting, I don't know. Meanwhile, Jerry Springer is headlining a Democratic dinner in Fremont next week.

Whaley may be waiting until after the primary, it may have a lot to do with transitioning her campaign committee to a state level one. All I hear is she is in.

Springer will be in Fremont, but he isn't running.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #387 on: April 13, 2017, 07:27:55 PM »

Should Sutton run for Renacci's seat if she loses the primary? Or is she already, politically, old news?

Welcome to the forum!

Thank you! I feel as if I am but a mere mortal in the realm of political deities but it was about time for me to actually make an account.

We are not political deities. Just highly informed political sensationalists.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #388 on: April 13, 2017, 08:39:18 PM »

Welcome to the forum!

We are not political deities. Just highly informed political sensationalists.
Rjjr77
« Reply #389 on: April 14, 2017, 09:48:17 AM »

Jon Husted, who hasn't announced he's running for governor, received an endorsement from the Ohio University College Republicans.

http://www.cleveland.com/open/index.ssf/2017/04/conservative_group_throws_its.html
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #390 on: April 14, 2017, 11:11:47 AM »

Jon Husted, who hasn't announced he's running for governor, received an endorsement from the Ohio University College Republicans.

http://www.cleveland.com/open/index.ssf/2017/04/conservative_group_throws_its.html
If it was the College Republicans of Ohio, that might mean something. But there are probably all of 10  college Republicans at OU. The only school they probably do worse at is Oberlin.
Rjjr77
« Reply #391 on: April 14, 2017, 12:31:11 PM »

If it was the College Republicans of Ohio, that might mean something. But there are probably all of 10  college Republicans at OU. The only school they probably do worse at is Oberlin.

It appears from their Facebook to be a fairly large and active chapter.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #392 on: April 14, 2017, 12:37:15 PM »

Sure. Hyperbole aside, Athens is not a place to look to for predicting Republican success.
Rjjr77
« Reply #393 on: April 14, 2017, 12:38:45 PM »

Sure. Hyperbole aside, Athens is not a place to look to for predicting Republican success.

Rep. Edwards says hi.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #394 on: April 14, 2017, 12:42:20 PM »

Rep. Edwards says hi.
That was a fluke. The Ohio House Democratic Caucus really screwed up interfering in the primary on behalf of Sarah Grace and asking Eddie Smith to step down. Smith would have most likely won.
Rjjr77
« Reply #395 on: April 14, 2017, 12:43:53 PM »

Rep. Edwards says hi.
That was a fluke. The Ohio House Democratic Caucus really screwed up interfering in the primary on behalf of Sarah Grace and asking Eddie Smith to step down. Smith would have most likely won.
I was teasing a bit, fluke? Not with his big margin, she also spent a bit more. Athens is in general a more liberal area, but to call it a flukes a bit premature. They did vote for Jimmy Stewart too in the mid 2000s
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #396 on: April 14, 2017, 12:50:23 PM »

If it was the College Republicans of Ohio, that might mean something. But there are probably all of 10  college Republicans at OU. The only school they probably do worse at is Oberlin.

Rep. Edwards says hi.
I was teasing a bit, fluke? Not with his big margin, she also spent a bit more. Athens is in general a more liberal area, but to call it a flukes a bit premature. They did vote for Jimmy Stewart too in the mid 2000s.
Grace was a terrible speaker and her margins inside the Athens County part of the district were sub-par. Between heavy right wing shifts in most of Appalachia, her ineptitude, and anti-establishmentarianism, maybe Edwards would have won regardless, but it's still not a county to extrapolate Republican headwinds from. The state legislative districts in Ohio are almost as bad as they are at the Congressional level, but if there's a seat to take back in '18, it's the 94th.
Rjjr77
« Reply #397 on: April 14, 2017, 12:55:14 PM »

If it was the College Republicans of Ohio, that might mean something. But there are probably all of 10  college Republicans at OU. The only school they probably do worse at is Oberlin.

Rep. Edwards says hi.
I was teasing a bit, fluke? Not with his big margin, she also spent a bit more. Athens is in general a more liberal area, but to call it a flukes a bit premature. They did vote for Jimmy Stewart too in the mid 2000s.
Grace was a terrible speaker and her margins inside the Athens County part of the district were sub-par. Between heavy right wing shifts in most of Appalachia, her ineptitude, and anti-establishmentarianism, maybe Edwards would have won regardless, but it's still not a county to extrapolate Republican headwinds from. The state legislative districts in Ohio are almost as bad as they are at the Congressional level, but if there's a seat to take back in '18, it's the 94th.

I actually don't agree with you about the state districts being heavily gerrymandered, they are some but not to the level everyone likes to blame them for. Quite a bit of it is bad campaigning and bad candidates (3rd district, 43rd district, 89th, and 37th come to the top of my head where the democrats have run bad candidates in winnable districts, and that's without really looking)

Edwards being a local football star helped as well
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #398 on: April 14, 2017, 01:00:22 PM »

Rep. Edwards says hi.

I actually don't agree with you about the state districts being heavily gerrymandered, they are some but not to the level everyone likes to blame them for. Quite a bit of it is bad campaigning and bad candidates (3rd district, 43rd district, 89th, and 37th come to the top of my head where the democrats have run bad candidates in winnable districts, and that's without really looking)

Edwards being a local football star helped as well.
It certainly did.

Sure, there have been recruiting flubs, but similarly, I don't think you're giving the gerrymander enough credit. I'm trying to find the report, but the Dayton Daily News did a piece back in 2011 or so about the state legislative districts and found a startling lack of competition. I believe it was less than ~30 seats in the state house and less than 10 in the Senate.

I will keep looking for that piece.
Rjjr77
« Reply #399 on: April 14, 2017, 01:08:03 PM »
« Edited: April 14, 2017, 01:10:30 PM by Rjjr77 »

I actually think way too many people give credit to gerrymandering, it's a factor, but it's rarely as egregious as everyone claims it is (Illinois congressional is, and Ohio's is bad, but it's also what congressional Ds wanted at the time to dump Kucinich). I honestly feel the democrats complete inaction on recruiting good candidates has been their downfall for some time, let's not forget they had the house not that long ago. And it's an epidemic that has trended statewide, David Pepper, Mary O'shaugnessy, Kevin Boyce, Nina Turner, Ed Fitzgerald, have all been pretty awful recruits for statewide races.

I'll put it this way, the ODP has under Chris redfern and now David pepper been a dumpster fire due to terrible management from the top.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies