OH: More Money Stuff (August)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:49:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  OH: More Money Stuff (August)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 79
Author Topic: OH: More Money Stuff (August)  (Read 184956 times)
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #400 on: April 14, 2017, 01:10:15 PM »

I actually think way too many people give credit to gerrymandering, it's a factor, but it's rarely as egregious as everyone claims it is (Illinois congressional is, and Ohio's is bad, but it's also what congressional Ds wanted at the time to dump Kucinich). I honestly feel the democrats complete inaction on recruiting good candidates has been their downfall for some time, let's not forget they had the house not that long ago. And it's an epidemic that has trended statewide, David Pepper, Mary O'shaugnessy, Kevin Boyce, Nina Turner, Ed Fitzgerald, have all been pretty awful recruits for statewide races.

David Pepper wasn't bad a bad recruit for Auditor in 2010 by any stretch of the imagination.
Rjjr77
« Reply #401 on: April 14, 2017, 01:13:30 PM »

I actually think way too many people give credit to gerrymandering, it's a factor, but it's rarely as egregious as everyone claims it is (Illinois congressional is, and Ohio's is bad, but it's also what congressional Ds wanted at the time to dump Kucinich). I honestly feel the democrats complete inaction on recruiting good candidates has been their downfall for some time, let's not forget they had the house not that long ago. And it's an epidemic that has trended statewide, David Pepper, Mary O'shaugnessy, Kevin Boyce, Nina Turner, Ed Fitzgerald, have all been pretty awful recruits for statewide races.

David Pepper wasn't bad a bad recruit for Auditor in 2010 by any stretch of the imagination.

Yes, local elected officials are almost always bad recruits, it's a reward for being from a family of massive donors, rather than courting someone with experience at a state level. They had better candidates, plenty of them.

They basically recruited him to be a cash cow for the rest of the ticket.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #402 on: April 14, 2017, 01:16:32 PM »

2016 was obviously a sh**t year for Democrats around the nation. I don't think Pepper's been around enough to really deserve blame. Though we'll see how '18 goes.

Not the Dayton piece, but there were roughly 20 competitive elections last year, according to the Dispatch. Certainly, we need more Lou Gentiles.

Pepper wasn't the best candidate from 2014 (dark horse vote for Carney, not Pillich), but the wasn't the worst by any means. You're not wrong about him being on the ticket to help raise money, but that doesn't mean down ticket office holders are bad candidates. Hamilton County was purple when Pepper got on the Board of Commissioners.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #403 on: April 14, 2017, 01:17:44 PM »

2016 was obviously a sh**t year for Democrats around the nation. I don't think Pepper's been around enough to really deserve blame. Though we'll see how '18 goes.

Not the Dayton piece, but there were roughly 20 competitive elections last year, according to the Dispatch. Certainly, we need more Lou Gentiles.

Pepper wasn't the best candidate from 2014 (dark horse vote for Carney, not Pillich), but the wasn't the worst by any means. You're not wrong about him being on the ticket to help raise money, but that doesn't mean down ticket office holders are bad candidates. Hamilton County was purple when Pepper got on the Board of Commissioners.

I was referring to when Pepper ran in 2010.  He wasn't nearly as strong a recruit in 2014 although he wasn't awful either.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #404 on: April 14, 2017, 01:22:37 PM »
« Edited: April 14, 2017, 01:26:35 PM by BuckeyeNut »

Worse attempts, maybe. But worse recruit?

1: 2014 was a worse year than 2010, especially in Ohio.
2: David Yost was an easier man to beat than Mike DeWine.

Rjjr77
« Reply #405 on: April 14, 2017, 01:28:40 PM »

By my count there's been 4 statewide elected officials in 40 years who ran from a local office state wide and won. In general they tend to be bad choices.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #406 on: April 14, 2017, 01:36:23 PM »
« Edited: April 14, 2017, 01:41:34 PM by BuckeyeNut »

By my count there's been 4 statewide elected officials in 40 years who ran from a local office state wide and won. In general they tend to be bad choices.
Qualify "local" office? Husted was in the state legislature and when Mary Taylor was elected Auditor, she was also a state representative. Yost was a County Prosecutor. Cordray was County Treasurer. Jennette B. Bradley launched from Columbus City Council. And Joe Deters was also a County Prosecutor. That's at least 4 in the last decade and a half. That can't be it.
Rjjr77
« Reply #407 on: April 14, 2017, 01:50:35 PM »

Qualify "local" office? Husted was in the state legislature and when Mary Taylor was elected Auditor, she was also a state representative. Yost was a County Prosecutor. Cordray was County Treasurer. Jennette B. Bradley launched from Columbus City Council. And Joe Deters was also a County Prosecutor. That's at least 4 in the last decade and a half. That can't be it.

Local office qualifies as county or city level positions with no prior experience at a state or federal level. (I should have been clearer about this part)

Yost, Deters, Brunner, and withrow are the only four I can think of.

I don't count LGs as we all know they aren't elected on their own in Ohio.
Rjjr77
« Reply #408 on: April 14, 2017, 03:51:16 PM »

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/politics/elections/2017/04/14/jim-renacci-fires-campaign-manager-after-less-than-a-month/100467516/
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #409 on: April 14, 2017, 04:08:58 PM »

The link doesn't work Tongue
Rjjr77
« Reply #410 on: April 14, 2017, 04:17:11 PM »

Works for me... You have Adblock on?
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #411 on: April 14, 2017, 04:48:30 PM »

I do, and it still worked... Pretty surprised he hired the guy behind Greitens win.
Rjjr77
« Reply #412 on: April 14, 2017, 04:53:58 PM »

and fired him
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #413 on: April 14, 2017, 05:01:51 PM »

Gosh, I'm on auto-pilot today. That's what I meant.
Rjjr77
« Reply #414 on: April 14, 2017, 05:09:11 PM »

It's cool I'm in a weird mood today too. Happens to the best of us
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #415 on: April 15, 2017, 02:32:03 PM »

Butler County area State Rep. Candice Keller compared Planned Parenthood to the Holocaust last night on her Facebook and backlash is building fast.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #416 on: April 17, 2017, 07:20:41 AM »

Politico feature on Cordray & the race
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #417 on: April 17, 2017, 08:11:00 AM »

Another benefit to Cordrey running would be that at least some folks like Schiavoni, Sutton, Pillich, etc would probably drop down to row offices (although the Treasurer nomination is probably Leland's *if* he wants it). 

On a different note, the ODP needs to find a new a AG candidate.  Much as I hate to admit it, I was wrong about Diettelbach.  He got off to a very promising start extremely early, but he seems to have already fizzled out.  However, Dave Yost is a decidedly "meh" Republican recruit and as a result, OH AG remains a great pickup opportunity if we can recruit a solid candidate.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #418 on: April 17, 2017, 12:27:27 PM »

Another benefit to Cordrey running would be that at least some folks like Schiavoni, Sutton, Pillich, etc would probably drop down to row offices (although the Treasurer nomination is probably Leland's *if* he wants it). 

On a different note, the ODP needs to find a new a AG candidate.  Much as I hate to admit it, I was wrong about Diettelbach.  He got off to a very promising start extremely early, but he seems to have already fizzled out.  However, Dave Yost is a decidedly "meh" Republican recruit and as a result, OH AG remains a great pickup opportunity if we can recruit a solid candidate.

What makes you say this? If you ask him if he's in, he'll tell you, but it technically isn't official yet.

Speaking of the Governor's race, though: If one googles "Nan Whaley" the first result to come up is an ad from her political committee that encourages visitors to respond to a survey that Whaley is needed in state level politics and should run for governor. When asked about the ad, Whaley said a decision was coming "soon."
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #419 on: April 17, 2017, 01:11:40 PM »

What makes you say this? If you ask him if he's in, he'll tell you, but it technically isn't official yet.

Speaking of the Governor's race, though: If one googles "Nan Whaley" the first result to come up is an ad from her political committee that encourages visitors to respond to a survey that Whaley is needed in state level politics and should run for governor. When asked about the ad, Whaley said a decision was coming "soon."

Do you mean Diettelbach or Cordrey?
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #420 on: April 17, 2017, 01:33:18 PM »

Do you mean Diettelbach or Cordrey?

Dettelbach.
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #421 on: April 17, 2017, 04:34:30 PM »

I think he should go for it. At the end of the day, Trump is going to get to name his successor at the CFPB regardless. If he misses the governor race, he'll have to wait until 2022 to have another shot at that or a Senate seat, and circumstances by then might even preclude that.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #422 on: April 17, 2017, 05:39:09 PM »

I think he should go for it. At the end of the day, Trump is going to get to name his successor at the CFPB regardless. If he misses the governor race, he'll have to wait until 2022 to have another shot at that or a Senate seat, and circumstances by then might even preclude that.

Agreed. It's time for Cordray to accept his destiny and become the governor of Ohio and make his way to the White House in 2024.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #423 on: April 17, 2017, 05:47:48 PM »

Agreed. It's time for Cordray to accept his destiny and become the governor of Ohio and make his way to the White House in 2024.

Is Mr. Cordray charismatic enough to win the 2024 Democratic presidential nomination? Is he too white? Maybe. A Cordray-Ossoff ticket in 2024 would be good or a Warren-Cordray ticket, but it would be too "intellectual" for the same white working class voters Cordray is trying to court as Ohio governor in 2018.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #424 on: April 17, 2017, 07:31:23 PM »
« Edited: April 17, 2017, 07:42:45 PM by Technocratic Timmy »

Is Mr. Cordray charismatic enough to win the 2024 Democratic presidential nomination? Is he too white? Maybe. A Cordray-Ossoff ticket in 2024 would be good or a Warren-Cordray ticket, but it would be too "intellectual" for the same white working class voters Cordray is trying to court as Ohio governor in 2018.

Charisma comes in different forms and can be learned to a certisn extent.

Too white? Most Democratic leaders are white and white people make up a majority of Democrats and people who lean Democrat. (Source.)
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies