OH: More Money Stuff (August)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:24:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  OH: More Money Stuff (August)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 79
Author Topic: OH: More Money Stuff (August)  (Read 183365 times)
mds32
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: January 16, 2017, 03:00:25 PM »

True as that may be, Borges did get half the votes. It'll be interesting to see the breakdown as it progresses.

ION: Dettelbach now raising money for an AG race and "Dettelbach for Ohio" has been registered by the Ruppert Co.

This might be an office the Democrats in Ohio could pick up. He seems to be a strong candidate on paper. However, going up against a competent State Auditor could be difficult.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #76 on: January 16, 2017, 03:06:35 PM »

Frank LaRose and Mike Duffey might run for statewide office. I would like to see one of them end up as a Governor or Senator eventually.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #77 on: January 16, 2017, 04:03:07 PM »

True as that may be, Borges did get half the votes. It'll be interesting to see the breakdown as it progresses.

ION: Dettelbach now raising money for an AG race and "Dettelbach for Ohio" has been registered by the Ruppert Co.

This might be an office the Democrats in Ohio could pick up. He seems to be a strong candidate on paper. However, going up against a competent State Auditor could be difficult.

I very briefly got to meet Dettelbach, recently. He's got a commanding (positive) presence.

Is there any definitive statement or reason that would explain why Kasich himself isn't going to run for Senate?

The pre-Nov. 8th answer was, "he wants to run for POTUS again in '20, and the Senate would be a major distraction."

The new answer is, "his brand has taken a major hit in Ohio with his non-support of Trumpkins hurting him internally." If he did run, I'm sure Trump would get involved in the primary.
rpryor03
Bahamas

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #78 on: January 16, 2017, 05:29:15 PM »

Frank LaRose and Mike Duffey might run for statewide office. I would like to see one of them end up as a Governor or Senator eventually.

My OHGOP friends are telling me that LaRose for SecState is almost a done deal.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #79 on: January 16, 2017, 05:48:18 PM »

I told you that might happen here:
I would guess:

Governor: Mike DeWine
Lieutenant Governor: Frank LaRose
Secretary of State: Mike Duffey

Mandel is term limited out. LaRose and Duffey could switch positions. LaRose IIRC has introduced two election reform bills, while Duffey doesn't seem to have much of a record on election bills.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #80 on: January 17, 2017, 12:07:08 AM »

I would guess:

Mandel is term limited out. LaRose and Duffey could switch positions. LaRose IIRC has introduced two election reform bills, while Duffey doesn't seem to have much of a record on election bills.

And I told y'all it might happen in the OP. Tongue

All kidding aside, I'm not sure what makes LaRose such a lock other than his great personal wealth.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #81 on: January 17, 2017, 07:55:27 AM »

I would guess:

And I told y'all it might happen in the OP. Tongue

All kidding aside, I'm not sure what makes LaRose such a lock other than his great personal wealth.

He's not a lock, I think it's more that it's early and he's clearly interested in SoS.
Rjjr77
« Reply #82 on: January 18, 2017, 12:27:34 AM »

Yeah, there's no real "Kasich Candidate" anymore. Kasich and Husted have always been at odds, DeWine and Kasich haven't been that friendly, and now Kasich and Taylor are at odds. Pat Tiberi is maybe Kasich's only ally right now.
Dewine is clearly the Kasich candidate, and probably always has been. Follow the staffers, all the Kasich people are working for Dewine campaign.
Rjjr77
« Reply #83 on: January 18, 2017, 12:29:48 AM »

Is there any definitive statement or reason that would explain why Kasich himself isn't going to run for Senate?
Kasich can't win a GOP primary in Ohio at this point, and state funds don't carry over to federal funds so he'd have to declare tomorrow.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #84 on: January 18, 2017, 10:31:46 PM »

I've heard it second hand from a reliable source than Kucinich is going to announce a Gubernatorial run within the next week. Not sure I by it, since I can't find it substantiated anywhere in speculation, but ... it's fun, so I thought I'd throw it out there.
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #85 on: January 19, 2017, 02:38:54 AM »

I've heard it second hand from a reliable source than Kucinich is going to announce a Gubernatorial run within the next week. Not sure I by it, since I can't find it substantiated anywhere in speculation, but ... it's fun, so I thought I'd throw it out there.
I thought Kucinich moved to Washington?
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #86 on: January 19, 2017, 11:58:48 AM »

I thought Kucinich moved to Washington?
Perhaps. I'm sure he still has residency and votes in Ohio.

In other news: Rep. Renacci is launching a statewide ad-buy this weekend, indicating he's serious about running for higher office of some kind; while State Sen. (and rumored SOS candidate) LaRose is going to D.C. to help out with the logistics of Trump's inauguration.
houseonaboat
Rookie
« Reply #87 on: January 19, 2017, 12:34:06 PM »

I thought he'd be really old but the man's only 70.

Either way, he went to Syria with Tulsi Gabbard this week, his recent tweets called the Russia election interference claims "BS," and he seems to be mostly focused on antiwar activism. Which is fine, but I don't think it'd play well for a governor's run.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #88 on: January 20, 2017, 11:33:55 AM »

State Rep. and potential-SOS candidate Kathleen Clyde (D-Kent) has travelled to DC to take part in the Women's March.
Rjjr77
« Reply #89 on: January 24, 2017, 04:23:15 PM »

Auditor Dave Yost made his AG race official today. Rumors are Rep. Renacci will declare for governor within a month
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #90 on: January 24, 2017, 04:58:57 PM »

Renacci vs. Kucinich would be the damnedest thing.
Rjjr77
« Reply #91 on: January 24, 2017, 05:58:55 PM »

Renacci vs. Kucinich would be the damnedest thing.
It would be interesting, Renacci is going to have a hard time with name ID in the primary, Dewine is still the odds on favorite but Renacci probably ends Taylor's chances. Husted still a very strong candidate as well.

Kucinich will have the name but the party will do everything in their power to promote a different democrat
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #92 on: January 24, 2017, 06:14:04 PM »

oh god the terror
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #93 on: January 25, 2017, 03:02:29 PM »

oh god the terror

Don't worry, he'll get killed in the primary.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #94 on: January 25, 2017, 05:04:37 PM »

oh god the terror

Don't worry, he'll get killed in the primary.
He's certainly making a pitch to Trump voters. It's also now past the one-week timetable I mentioned previously, though my source did actually say two weeks. It would still be a surprise if he did run.

Auditor Dave Yost made his AG race official today. Rumors are Rep. Renacci will declare for governor within a month
Yost is probably the least known of the row officers, and the worst campaigner. Pillich got a little lucky with Mandel, given how hated he was, but John Patrick Carney put up a good fight in '14. Even if we lose the Governor's race, I'm hopeful we can take back the AG-post.
Rjjr77
« Reply #95 on: January 25, 2017, 09:19:49 PM »

Yost is probably the least known of the row officers, and the worst campaigner. Pillich got a little lucky with Mandel, given how hated he was, but John Patrick Carney put up a good fight in '14. Even if we lose the Governor's race, I'm hopeful we can take back the AG-post.
[/quote]

Yost was the least known, but no one the democrats have ID'd as a possibility is better known or even as known, throw in Yost's big cash on hand number he declared with, it will be an uphill battle. Democrats have better shot at Auditor and Treasurer where name ID and money will be a much level playing field.

If I were to rank the Ohio races(as of today) in order of likelihood of switching parties (from most to least likely) I'd go:
Auditor
Treasurer
Secretary of State
Attorney General
US Senate
Governor
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #96 on: January 26, 2017, 12:45:12 PM »

Yost was the least known, but no one the democrats have ID'd as a possibility is better known or even as known, throw in Yost's big cash on hand number he declared with, it will be an uphill battle. Democrats have better shot at Auditor and Treasurer where name ID and money will be a much level playing field.

If I were to rank the Ohio races(as of today) in order of likelihood of switching parties (from most to least likely) I'd go:
Auditor
Treasurer
Secretary of State
Attorney General
US Senate
Governor
Yost is better known now, but he's still not well known, by any means. Money's the bigger problem, but Dettelbach should be able to play the fundraising network well--he and Obama played basketball together at Harvard. Also, Auditor will be a much harder race to win, even with its low name ID/monetary expectations given Faber is likely running. But maybe he'll challenge Yost. Still too early to say.

Meanwhile, The Plain Dealer has taken an interesting look at the ramifications of Taylor's betrayal, and this year's Cleveland mayoral election could get ugly with the SEUI making its first ever endorsement in the race. Also, while with Gabbard in the Middle East, Kucinich met with Assad.
Rjjr77
« Reply #97 on: January 26, 2017, 02:01:40 PM »

Auditor
Treasurer
Secretary of State
Attorney General
US Senate
Governor
Yost is better known now, but he's still not well known, by any means. Money's the bigger problem, but Dettelbach should be able to play the fundraising network well--he and Obama played basketball together at Harvard. Also, Auditor will be a much harder race to win, even with its low name ID/monetary expectations given Faber is likely running. But maybe he'll challenge Yost. Still too early to say.

Meanwhile, The Plain Dealer has taken an interesting look at the ramifications of Taylor's betrayal, and this year's Cleveland mayoral election could get ugly with the SEUI making its first ever endorsement in the race. Also, while with Gabbard in the Middle East, Kucinich met with Assad.
Dettelbach may not even be the candidate (I think it will be schiavoni who is the better one)

All the rumors I'm hearing is that Faber is not running for auditor as money players are trying to clear the GOP field for Mingo, and Faber may be angling for the speaker slot. Faber is also much lesser known than even Yost and won't have the money. With the thin bench on the D side I think AG and Governor are uphill battles, but treasurer and auditor are wide open. SOS is a different animal, if Alicia Reese or Kathleen Clyde face off against LaRose both will probably lose, against Pelanda they both could win.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #98 on: January 26, 2017, 02:12:08 PM »

Auditor
Treasurer
Secretary of State
Attorney General
US Senate
Governor

Dettelbach may not even be the candidate (I think it will be schiavoni who is the better one)

All the rumors I'm hearing is that Faber is not running for auditor as money players are trying to clear the GOP field for Mingo, and Faber may be angling for the speaker slot. Faber is also much lesser known than even Yost and won't have the money. With the thin bench on the D side I think AG and Governor are uphill battles, but treasurer and auditor are wide open. SOS is a different animal, if Alicia Reese or Kathleen Clyde face off against LaRose both will probably lose, against Pelanda they both could win.
Most everything is speculative at this point, but being the first one in will be a boon. It's hard to read Ryan, but at this point, I doubt he'll actually jump in. His action in challenging Pelosi shows some fire has been lit under him, but he's always on the fence about running for higher office. At this juncture, early as it is, I find it likely he's gunning for high House leadership in the future, and Schiavoni will actually wind up running for Governor.

Mingo could make a run for Auditor, I suppose, but he's only one of the two county-wide Republicans down in Franklin County, and the OHGOP might be reluctant to give that up. That said, Speaker Rosenberger will be term-limited out of the State House in '19 (at the tender age of 38, no less), so Faber certainly has the option.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #99 on: January 26, 2017, 03:36:12 PM »

Auditor
Treasurer
Secretary of State
Attorney General
US Senate
Governor

Hold on, they can't really be stupid enough to run Mingo statewide, can they?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies