OH: More Money Stuff (August)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:08:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  OH: More Money Stuff (August)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 79
Author Topic: OH: More Money Stuff (August)  (Read 184506 times)
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 29, 2016, 08:35:52 AM »
« edited: September 06, 2018, 03:28:21 PM by THE BuckeyeNut »

I know there used to be one of these, and I have a very specific interest in my state, so why not revive it. This we'll be a space to discuss not only the Governor's race, but the row officers and the state legislature as well.

What we know right now.

Governor

Republicans

All three of the top row officers are top prospects here.

Attorney General and former Senator Mike DeWine is officially in, although he isn't actively campaigning; and Lt. Governor Mary Taylor is finally official, having made a statement before quickly retracting it

Secretary of State John Husted has made a lot of statements to the effect he will run; and Congressman Jim Renacci has been looking at a run, having commissioned a poll. With Renacci or without, this is going to be a crowded primary with big players that could leave the nominee battered and bruised.

Democrats

Prospects here are much more scattered, though there are many.

Youngstown area politician, Senate Minority Leader Joe Schiavoni, is officially in, and the first candidate to announce, thanks to Ryan declining a run. Former Akron-area Congresswoman Betty Sutton has announced a run. Former Cincinnati-area State Representative and failed '14 statewide candidate, Connie Pillich, has also announced and so far is the only candidate with a website. In between Sutton and Pillich former no-name Wayne County Commissioner Dave Kiefer made an announcement, though no one paid any attention at the time.

CFPB Director and former Attorney General Richard Cordray will likely be out of a job soon, and Republicans are already on the attack in case he does announce; State Supreme Court Justice Bill O'Neill will be aged out of office in '18 and he's mulling a run unless Cordray or former Secretary of State Jennifer Brunner jump in; and Dayton Mayor Nan Whaley is "considering" a run.

Cincinnati Mayor John Cranley; former State Senator and failed Secretary of State candidate Nina Turner; and Assistant Secretary of Commerce and former Mayor of Youngstown Jay Williams have all been mentioned as potential candidates, although they're less likely.

Congressman Tim Ryan, after much teasing, is out.

Lt. Governor

I'm not going to speculate on Lt. Governor since it's not something people actively run for.

Attorney General

Republicans

Current Auditor Dave Yost is in.

Democrats

Steve Dettelbach, who resigned as the U.S. Attorney for Northern Ohio in February, is in.

Secretary of State

Republicans

State Representative Dorothy Pelanda is in. State Senator Frank LaRose is also thought to be angling for the job. This could be a down-ballot Kasich v. Trump proxy battle.

Democrats

State Representative Kathleen Clyde seems to be the only Democrat angling for this position. She'd pushed voting rights-related legislation during her tenure, and as the Representative of Kent, has made inroads with various college groups.

Treasurer

Republicans

State Representative Robert Sprauge of Findlay is officially in, having previously served as a County Auditor and Treasurer.

Democrats

State Representative and former ODP Chairman David Leland is rumored to be in the mix.

Auditor

Republicans

Former Senate President Faber has passed on challenging Yost for Attorney General and has declared his intentions to run for Auditor.

Democrats

Lorain Mayor Chase Ritenauer is considering a run.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2016, 08:05:50 PM »

This election automatically begins at Lean R given massive Trump win in Ohio, the popular governorship of John Kasich, and the fact that Democrats don't appear to have a strong bench, while Republicans do.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2016, 08:22:22 PM »

No chance of an Ed FitzGerald comeback, I presume?
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 09:06:56 PM »

For downballot offices, I suspect Frank LaRose, Steve Austria, and Mike Duffey will run.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 10:12:16 PM »

For downballot offices, I suspect Frank LaRose, Steve Austria, and Mike Duffey will run.

Why would Steve Austria be a contender for anything?  He's a has-been that never was, at best.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2016, 10:20:57 PM »

Why would Steve Austria be a contender for anything?  He's a has-been that never was, at best.

because all Kingpoleon does is google names.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2016, 10:54:17 PM »

because all Kingpoleon does is google names.
Kingpoleon is one of the best on Atlas when it comes to benches for downballot races. Austria seems to remain very active in local politics, and I can easily see him becoming Treasurer. LaRose and Duffey  are likely to run for Lt. Gov/Secretary of State/Auditor, IMO.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2016, 11:10:35 PM »

"Just cause dude wear a kufi don't mean that he bright
Just cause you don't understand him don't mean that he nice
It just means you don't understand all the BS that he write"

- Jay-Z, writing about Kingpoleon
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2016, 11:26:13 PM »
« Edited: November 29, 2016, 11:41:19 PM by BuckeyeNut »

Updated the OP with some thoughts on Lt. Governor and Attorney General candidates.

To be fair to Kingpoleon, Austria has evidently stayed pretty involved in the OH GOP. Treasurer would be a significant step down from Congressman, but if a former Senator can make himself content as Attorney General...

No chance of an Ed FitzGerald comeback, I presume?
And absolutely not.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2016, 12:46:08 PM »
« Edited: November 30, 2016, 01:02:56 PM by BuckeyeNut »

Even though he lost his bid against Pelosi, I'm now of the opinion any exposure is good exposure for Tim Ryan. I know some people think he's a paper tiger, but I'd be more worried of that being true of Cordray who has lost just about as many races as he's won.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2016, 08:47:17 PM »

Even though he lost his bid against Pelosi, I'm now of the opinion any exposure is good exposure for Tim Ryan. I know some people think he's a paper tiger, but I'd be more worried of that being true of Cordray who has lost just about as many races as he's won.
I'm of the opinion that Ryan's whole run against Pelosi was partially based on giving him anti-Pelosi bonafides in a gubernatorial general election.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2016, 10:09:51 PM »

I'm of the opinion that Ryan's whole run against Pelosi was partially based on giving him anti-Pelosi bonafides in a gubernatorial general election.
Definitely could be.

But a small wrench in that scheme now, as Senate Minority Leader Joe Schiavoni has all but announced he's running in '18. Schiavoni, like Ryan, hails from Youngstown, and it would be very hard for him to run in a primary with Ryan. This may indicate Ryan isn't going to run for Governor and plans on sticking in the House, as if he were to retire Schiavoni would be a natural candidate to replace him.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2016, 02:46:56 PM »

Worth noting that Ohio's legislative districts are drawn by a commission consisting of the governor, auditor, secretary of state, and four appointees from the legislature, while (as in most other states) the the governor and legislature draw the Congressional lines. So some of these statewide races are really important.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2016, 05:23:43 PM »

So Jay Williams, Tim Ryan, and Joe Schiavoni all three come from Youngstown? Interesting...
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2016, 08:47:32 PM »

So Jay Williams, Tim Ryan, and Joe Schiavoni all three come from Youngstown? Interesting...
Yes, though Williams has said if Ryan gets in, he won't.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2016, 08:53:38 PM »

If Ryan gets in, I could easily see Schiavoni just running for his House seat.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2016, 10:58:17 PM »

Am I the only who can see Nina Turner if she runs on a "Im a Bernie guy who told Hillary not to ignore you guys" platform?
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2016, 11:11:45 PM »

Am I the only who can see Nina Turner if she runs on a "Im a Bernie guy who told Hillary not to ignore you guys" platform?

As winning or as running?

I could definitely see her running, but winning? Not so much. And I say that as a proud Bernie partisan.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2016, 11:20:03 PM »

If Ryan gets in, I could easily see Schiavoni just running for his House seat.
It's definitely possible Schiavoni is just trying to smoke Ryan's true intentions out.

As winning or as running?

I could definitely see her running, but winning? Not so much. And I say that as a proud Bernie partisan.
Turner would get crushed in a state wide race, though there's definitely a movement to draft her.  Her political future lies in Cleveland, if anywhere.
rpryor03
Bahamas

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2016, 08:39:06 PM »

State Representative Kathleen Clyde seems to be the only Democrat angling for this position. She'd pushed voting rights-related legislation during her tenure, and as the Representative of Kent, has made inroads with various college groups.

Please, no. She's pretty bad. Also, where do y'all think Mandel will end up?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2016, 08:41:17 PM »

Clyde seems pretty good to me.  Hopefully Mandel will end up in an unemployment line where he belongs (he's all-but-declared his candidacy for Senate).
rpryor03
Bahamas

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2016, 08:43:53 PM »

Clyde seems pretty good to me.  Hopefully Mandel will end up in an unemployment line where he belongs (he's all-but-declared his candidacy for Senate).

Can we have Tiberi, please? Or Huffman? Or anyone but Mandel?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2016, 08:50:18 PM »

How about we just keep Sherrod Brown since he's easily one of the best Senators in the country Tongue
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2016, 08:52:07 PM »

Sherrod really is tops.

What do you have against Clyde?

And like Malcolm X, I'm fairly certain Mandel will run against Brown again. He put out an ad with Urban Meyer this summer that, while ostensibly for the Treasury, was totally made to just build up his profile. Could get ugly with Tiberi in the primary as Kasich's guy.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2016, 09:26:18 PM »

How about we just keep Sherrod Brown since he's easily one of the best Senators in the country Tongue

Yep. Brown has far and away the best voting record of any swing state senator, among other things.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies