OH: More Money Stuff (August)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:06:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  OH: More Money Stuff (August)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 79
Author Topic: OH: More Money Stuff (August)  (Read 184830 times)
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: February 03, 2017, 02:13:08 PM »

Based on White House statements about the CFPB, Richard Cordray might be back in Ohio sooner rather than later.
Rjjr77
« Reply #126 on: February 03, 2017, 03:42:43 PM »

Based on White House statements about the CFPB, Richard Cordray might be back in Ohio sooner rather than later.

I wonder if he will get the support, he's easily the best D candidate not named Ryan, will progressives back him with his pro gun record?
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #127 on: February 03, 2017, 04:11:05 PM »

I wonder if he will get the support, he's easily the best D candidate not named Ryan, will progressives back him with his pro gun record?

While that proved to be a problem in this past Senate primary, Cordray never cut an ad on his sportsmanlike appreciation of gun culture and NRA rating; which Strickland did in 2010. That said, he might face backlash in Franklin County due to his tangential alliance with the Scott campaign for Mayor of Columbus.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #128 on: February 03, 2017, 06:13:09 PM »

While that proved to be a problem in this past Senate primary, Cordray never cut an ad on his sportsmanlike appreciation of gun culture and NRA rating; which Strickland did in 2010. That said, he might face backlash in Franklin County due to his tangential alliance with the Scott campaign for Mayor of Columbus.

Cordrey backed Zach Scott?  Gross. 

That's disappointing, to say the least!
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #129 on: February 03, 2017, 08:27:59 PM »

Cordray didn't back Scott, but they share infrastructure (also with Jennifer Brunner). The internal politics of the FCDP are an utter mess.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #130 on: February 03, 2017, 08:49:58 PM »

Cordray didn't back Scott, but they share infrastructure (also with Jennifer Brunner). The internal politics of the FCDP are an utter mess.

Believe me, I know.  I had a front-row seat to this mess back when I worked for the ODP.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #131 on: February 04, 2017, 01:29:58 AM »

Either Cordray or Ryan would be good, although I prefer Ryan because Cordray will be pretty rusty having not have run for office since 2010. We have seen from Feingold, Strickland, Jeb etc. the perils of running rusty pols.
Rjjr77
« Reply #132 on: February 04, 2017, 12:45:58 PM »

Either Cordray or Ryan would be good, although I prefer Ryan because Cordray will be pretty rusty having not have run for office since 2010. We have seen from Feingold, Strickland, Jeb etc. the perils of running rusty pols.
One could make an argument that Tim Ryan hasn't had to run for office in even longer with his district
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #133 on: February 07, 2017, 10:38:37 AM »

State House Majority Leader, Rep. Dorothy Palanda is announcing a run for SOS soon.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #134 on: February 07, 2017, 04:58:02 PM »

LaRose vs. Palanda could get pretty ugly.
Rjjr77
« Reply #135 on: February 07, 2017, 05:00:43 PM »

I expect it will. The D side could get very ugly as well with Alicia Reese and Kathleen Clyde
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #136 on: February 07, 2017, 06:39:18 PM »

I expect it will. The D side could get very ugly as well with Alicia Reese and Kathleen Clyde
I'm still somewhat skeptical Reece will actually jump in.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #137 on: February 07, 2017, 07:57:49 PM »

Let me guess, Tim Ryan is considering but will not run? Smiley
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -7.22

« Reply #138 on: February 07, 2017, 08:05:44 PM »

Let me guess, Tim Ryan is considering but will not run? Smiley

I really hope he takes the plunge this time ._.
Rjjr77
« Reply #139 on: February 07, 2017, 08:16:52 PM »

I'm a bit skeptical too, but she's got no where else to go
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #140 on: February 07, 2017, 09:13:23 PM »

I'm a bit skeptical too, but she's got no where else to go.
State Senate might be an option, and she could always return to Cincinnati City Politics. Previously, Reece did serve as Vice Mayor
Rjjr77
« Reply #141 on: February 07, 2017, 10:52:44 PM »

State Senate might be an option, and she could always return to Cincinnati City Politics. Previously, Reece did serve as Vice Mayor
Cecil Thomas is on his first term. Reece isn't going to step down for the mess that is Cincy local politics. She could go back anyway since local elections would be during '19. If she's ever going to run now is her time and Clyde is not a powerhouse.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #142 on: February 08, 2017, 10:19:08 AM »

Cecil Thomas is on his first term. Reece isn't going to step down for the mess that is Cincy local politics. She could go back anyway since local elections would be during '19. If she's ever going to run now is her time and Clyde is not a powerhouse.
Maybe, maybe not. She could also challenge Chris Monzel for County Commissioner, which is a step up from city politics. Having unilateral control of the Hamilton County Commission would be quite something for Democrats.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #143 on: February 08, 2017, 10:16:36 PM »

What would you rate that?
Rjjr77
« Reply #144 on: February 09, 2017, 11:12:35 AM »

Pelanda v. LaRose on the R side, and Reece v. Clyde on the D side could be the biggest dog fight in Ohio. No friendly feelings on either side
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #145 on: February 09, 2017, 11:32:25 AM »

I think LaRose would ultimately win, but it could become the kind of primary that does some GE damage to whoever wins.  Btw, I really don't see Reece running for SoS, I've heard no talk about that and it'd be a pretty bad career move since (unlike Clyde) she has no chance of wining statewide and most Democrats know it.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #146 on: February 09, 2017, 11:36:40 AM »

It would be a boon to Democrats if we wound up with Pelanda v. LaRose and Klyde just went through to the general unencumbered.

In Other News: Tim Ryan is saying he'll make a decision in the "next couple of weeks" and has been keeping Schiavoni and Williams "in the loop." When asked if he thought his flirting would hurt his future prospects, the Congressman stated, "No. I'm only 43. A lot of people start their political careers when they're 43."

What that all means, I don't know. I think this means he's leaning toward staying in the House. Running for minority leader was the first time Ryan actually did run for higher office, and even if he won't be Speaker for a long time, as Ranking on Appropriations, he's in for a nice gig whenever Democrats finally take the House back. He certainly seems unaffected by Congressman Stivers (R-Upper Arlington) and the NRCC's decision to target his seat.

In Other, Other News: In an anti-sanctuary city event that actually put Kasich in alignment with Trump and Mandel, Kasich stated he would still support Lt. Gov. Taylor in a Gubernatorial primary.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #147 on: February 09, 2017, 01:52:47 PM »

I hope Ryan runs, honestly.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #148 on: February 09, 2017, 02:33:25 PM »

Hasn't Ryan done this in every election cycle?

I really don't see why he'd want to stay in the House. I understand not challenged Kasich in 2014, and Portman would have been tough but he has to eventually give one of the offices a shot right?
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #149 on: February 09, 2017, 03:30:49 PM »

Hasn't Ryan done this in every election cycle?

I really don't see why he'd want to stay in the House. I understand not challenged Kasich in 2014, and Portman would have been tough but he has to eventually give one of the offices a shot right?
Not really. Ryan could easily wind up in the mold of Kaptur, that is to say, a House lifer. He got into a safe Congressional seat at the age of 29, what's his actual incentive to seek statewide office? He will, eventually, be Chairman of the Appropriations Committee if he sticks around, or he could wind up as Speaker.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies