OH: More Money Stuff (August)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 11:34:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  OH: More Money Stuff (August)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 79
Author Topic: OH: More Money Stuff (August)  (Read 184402 times)
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #475 on: May 10, 2017, 07:15:35 PM »

Sorry to all fans of TD, but Cordray ain't running.
Is he out officially?
Can't find anything to confirm, so no.
Rjjr77
« Reply #476 on: May 10, 2017, 08:42:43 PM »

Is he out officially?
Can't find anything to confirm, so no.
I assume he's out as well but I thought he'd said something
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #477 on: May 10, 2017, 10:02:59 PM »

No, sorry, I was just prognosticating.

It's long been reported he'd have to get in by May to clear things up.
Rjjr77
« Reply #478 on: May 10, 2017, 11:24:34 PM »

No, sorry, I was just prognosticating.

It's long been reported he'd have to get in by May to clear things up.
June 8th at the latest I'd say.
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #479 on: May 11, 2017, 02:41:46 PM »
« Edited: May 11, 2017, 02:54:51 PM by Chris B »

FWIW, the hearing for the PHH v. CFPB case before the full DC Court of Appeals is on the 24th. I'm guessing we wont hear anything on the Cordray front until after that.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #480 on: May 11, 2017, 03:24:40 PM »

I don't know who he is, but this makes my Cordray!  Smiley  (Sorry)
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #481 on: May 12, 2017, 01:09:28 PM »

Pillich made a very strange campaign promise to not send members of the Ohio National guard to into any military action not authorized by Congress.

The Youbgstown Vindicator is calling Sutton the early Democratic front runner, which isn't good news for Schiavoni, since the local paper should be for him. If primaries were won on Facebook likes, Sutton would be dead last with Schiavoni and Whaley tied for first. This might indicate Sutton's popular with older Democrats, which would be logical. Schiavoni and Whaley are both fairly young.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #482 on: May 12, 2017, 08:57:38 PM »

Don't make hasty predictions.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #483 on: May 12, 2017, 10:22:56 PM »

If Cordray gets in I will, as they say, eat my hat.

It would be funny watching everyone else scramble to get out/down the ticket. I could see Sutton staying in, though, and that would be unfortunate.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #484 on: May 12, 2017, 10:43:28 PM »

If Cordray gets in I will, as they say, eat my hat.

It would be funny watching everyone else scramble to get out/down the ticket. I could see Sutton staying in, though, and that would be unfortunate.

Be careful there. Me and a friend are gonna eat a bug if Ossoff wins, and I'm feeling a little nervous about that rn.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #485 on: May 12, 2017, 10:48:26 PM »

Is Cordray strong? I thought he was a little damaged goods. Definitely think he has less crossover support than Generic Democrat (D).
Rjjr77
« Reply #486 on: May 13, 2017, 07:06:59 AM »

Is Cordray strong? I thought he was a little damaged goods. Definitely think he has less crossover support than Generic Democrat (D).
He has his flaws (who doesn't) but none of the other candidates are very strong. He immediately becomes candidate 1A for democrats if he gets in (early enough). The worst thing for democrats might be if he gets in, but too late. That would jumble the field and leave him hurting for cash.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #487 on: May 13, 2017, 10:23:07 AM »

Mike DeWine killed a Fair Redistricting amendment yesterday. Republicans in the State poll as favoring fair districts, so this may bite him.

Interestingly, his main opponent Husted has been a frequent and vocal supporter of redistricting reform for some time.

Fully independent or just with strong guidelines, a la Iowa?

I think the bill he put forward several time was for at least one member of the minority party on the apportionment board had to approve the map.

Better than nothing I suppose. Still think the Iowa method is the best.

I attended a republican dinner a couple years back where Senate leader, and now likely future auditor, Keith Faber was the keynote speaker. It was when the last redistricting amendment was on the ballot. It passed overwhelmingly with bipartisan support. It's weak as dishwater. He openly stated the reason the Republican party was behind it was that it would hopefully preempt more "liberal"--read "worth a damn" measures like those in Arizona from getting passed.

Also keep in mind that in the last election after redistricting in 2012 Republican congressional candidates Statewide took 52% of the vote, but won three quarters of the seats.

Put these two analogies together and he will quickly determine how committed the Ohio Republican party is to actual redistricting reform. Any moves they take are merely to preempt something worse comma because Ohio is so badly gerrymandered get that has such a reasonably strong Democratic voting days that it's one of the few States where districting reform is developing Broad Grassroots bipartisan support
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #488 on: May 13, 2017, 12:38:29 PM »

Who's the alternative in Ohio? Cordray would be able rally progressives, is pro 2nd amendment, very well liked in the state, and plays strongly in southeastern Ohio.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #489 on: May 13, 2017, 04:03:35 PM »

Who's the alternative in Ohio? Cordray would be able rally progressives, is pro 2nd amendment, very well liked in the state, and plays strongly in southeastern Ohio.

Schiavoni's a good candidate.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #490 on: May 16, 2017, 10:48:02 AM »
« Edited: May 16, 2017, 11:14:23 AM by Rust Belt or Die »

Kathleen Clyde is officially in for Secretary of State.

EDIT: Also, the idea Cordray would play well in SE Ohio is garbage. Strickland tanked in Appalachia, and he was still something of a folk legend in his old Congressional District. Some of that might be about his flip on the 2nd Amendment, but I wouldn't count on Cordray's gun position not also having "evolved."
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #491 on: May 16, 2017, 11:57:43 AM »

EDIT: Also, the idea Cordray would play well in SE Ohio is garbage. Strickland tanked in Appalachia, and he was still something of a folk legend in his old Congressional District. Some of that might be about his flip on the 2nd Amendment, but I wouldn't count on Cordray's gun position not also having "evolved."

That was during the Tea Party wave of 2010...something tells me that's not gonna happen in 2018 and if anything the Democrats are much more likely to be in a favorable environment.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #492 on: May 16, 2017, 12:49:36 PM »

That was during the Tea Party wave of 2010...something tells me that's not gonna happen in 2018 and if anything the Democrats are much more likely to be in a favorable environment.

Pretty sure he was talking about the 2016 Senate campaign.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #493 on: May 16, 2017, 01:47:23 PM »

Pretty sure he was talking about the 2016 Senate campaign.

I am. Very few Dems can get those sort of numbers out of Appalachia still, even in a good year.

Strickland did fine in Appalachia in 2010. People forget Kasich barely won with 2% that year.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #494 on: May 17, 2017, 10:53:34 AM »

I suppose it's worth noting that Clyde is the only down-ticket Dem officially in. Dettelbach and others' ambitions may be transparent, as Clyde was, but none of them are official. Though speaking about the AG, Athens County Prosecutor Keller Blackburn has been stirring up some noise.

Also, the Cincinnati Enquirer is reporting a rumor Pillich might drop out to challenge the lone Republican remaining on the Hamilton County Board of Commissioners.

Republican Ohio Supreme Justice Sharon Kennedy is being sued for speaking to a Right to Life group in Toledo, an alleged violation of ethics rules. Doubt this has legs, but would be great to see her go.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #495 on: May 18, 2017, 10:55:05 AM »

State Senator Frank LaRose is officially running for Secretary of State, creating what will likely be an ugly Republican primary for the office as he faces off against House Majority Leader, Dorothy Pelanda.
Rjjr77
« Reply #496 on: May 18, 2017, 02:59:27 PM »

State Senator Frank LaRose is officially running for Secretary of State, creating what will likely be an ugly Republican primary for the office as he faces off against House Majority Leader, Dorothy Pelanda.

I expect LaRose to win there and beat Clyde, Clyde should be hoping for a Pelanda win.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #497 on: May 18, 2017, 03:15:48 PM »

I expect LaRose to win there and beat Clyde, Clyde should be hoping for a Pelanda win.
That primary is going to be u-g-l-y. Whoever emerges will be battered.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #498 on: May 18, 2017, 04:21:44 PM »

LaRose is pretty moderate, no?
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #499 on: May 18, 2017, 09:17:59 PM »

By some standards, maybe. But the Ohio legislature is the 8th most conservative in the country.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies