OH: More Money Stuff (August)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 11:15:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  OH: More Money Stuff (August)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 79
Author Topic: OH: More Money Stuff (August)  (Read 184401 times)
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #500 on: May 18, 2017, 09:41:33 PM »

Indeed. He's on the Kasich-Portman wing, which no current statewide official really is besides those two.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #501 on: May 18, 2017, 11:15:28 PM »

Indeed. He's on the Kasich-Portman wing, which no current statewide official really is besides those two.

So he's a conservative?
Rjjr77
« Reply #502 on: May 18, 2017, 11:33:12 PM »

State Senator Frank LaRose is officially running for Secretary of State, creating what will likely be an ugly Republican primary for the office as he faces off against House Majority Leader, Dorothy Pelanda.

I expect LaRose to win there and beat Clyde, Clyde should be hoping for a Pelanda win.
That primary is going to be u-g-l-y. Whoever emerges will be battered.

Eh... I don't view Pelanda as a heavyweight so I don't know how ugly it gets down to it. I could see Pelanda even slipping to the point of taking someone's LG spot and stepping out in Jan.

If I had to rate the ugliest primaries in OH this cycle
R-OH 16 is going to be an a bloodbath in a slaughterhouse
D- Gov is shaping up to be the second ugliest, with no tier 1 candidate
R- Treasurer has all the hall marks of getting nasty, could be the nastiest one of the bunch in reality.
R- Gov comes in lower simply because it's more tiered
 R SOS rolls in after that
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #503 on: May 18, 2017, 11:45:23 PM »

You don't get to be House Majority Leader without putting in work and making connections. And who else besides Sprauge is even looking at Treasurer?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #504 on: May 19, 2017, 07:45:10 AM »

You don't get to be House Majority Leader without putting in work and making connections. And who else besides Sprauge is even looking at Treasurer?

Mingo is running, but if Sprague has any opposition research team then he'll lose the primary.  Either way, it's probably Leland's if he wants it.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #505 on: May 19, 2017, 08:46:59 AM »

Mingo is running, but if Sprague has any opposition research team then he'll lose the primary.  Either way, it's probably Leland's if he wants it.
Derp. Forgot about Mingo.

I kinda hope Leland runs for Auditor instead. Treasurer's important, but not on the redistricting commission.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #506 on: May 19, 2017, 09:16:56 AM »

I kinda hope Leland runs for Auditor instead. Treasurer's important, but not on the redistricting commission.

I was wondering why there were rumors he was now also considering running for Auditor.  I think Leland would beat Faber too although the latter would be a tougher opponent than Sprague or Mingo.  That said, I think he still runs for Treasurer.  If he runs for Auditor then I could see Pillich dropping down to Treasurer and there have been rumors Zack Space is interested too, but I'd much rather see him run against Bob Gibbs as wave insurance.  I know the Mayor of Lorain was being mentioned as a possible candidate for Auditor, but I haven't heard anything about him lately and I can't imagine he'd run against one man fundraising machine known as Dave Leland Tongue
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #507 on: May 19, 2017, 09:54:06 AM »
« Edited: May 19, 2017, 10:15:36 AM by Rust Belt or Die »

Mingo is running, but if Sprague has any opposition research team then he'll lose the primary.  Either way, it's probably Leland's if he wants it.

I was wondering why there were rumors he was now also considering running for Auditor.  I think Leland would beat Faber too although the latter would be a tougher opponent than Sprague or Mingo.  That said, I think he still runs for Treasurer.  If he runs for Auditor then I could see Pillich dropping down to Treasurer and there have been rumors Zack Space is interested too, but I'd much rather see him run against Bob Gibbs as wave insurance.  I know the Mayor of Lorain was being mentioned as a possible candidate for Auditor, but I haven't heard anything about him lately and I can't imagine he'd run against one man fundraising machine known as Dave Leland Tongue

Seems likely he runs for Treasurer. It has the weakest opposition, and Leland looks like the strongest candidate we have.

I've also heard the Space rumor, which is interesting. It would be a pretty big wave to take out Gibbs, and Space hasn't represented much of the territory in the district as the population base shifted significantly northwards with redistricting. Space is working in Columbus now, anyway.

Chase Ritenauer has a promising future, I think. But I'm doubtful he gets in. Would rather have him around to run in the 33rd Senate district when Gayle Manning is term limited out. Definitely the most winnable state senate seat -- even if the Mannings are fundraising machines.

EDIT: Former Youngstown Mayor, Jay Williams, will not run for Governor, having taken a job in Connecticut.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #508 on: May 19, 2017, 02:50:24 PM »

So he's a conservative?

He's to the left of Taylor, DeWine, Husted, and Mandel. I would call him a moderate.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #509 on: May 19, 2017, 04:10:46 PM »

So he's a conservative?

He's to the left of Taylor, DeWine, Husted, and Mandel. I would call him a moderate.

There are very few moderate Republicans in the Ohio legislature.  The Kasich-Portman wing is A) well to the right of Husted and B) extremely right-wing on economic issues.  Just because a Republican is polite and uses non-threatening language doesn't mean they're a moderate (Patton Oswalt has a great bit on this).
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #510 on: May 19, 2017, 05:27:40 PM »

So he's a conservative?

There are very few moderate Republicans in the Ohio legislature.  The Kasich-Portman wing is A) well to the right of Husted and B) extremely right-wing on economic issues.  Just because a Republican is polite and uses non-threatening language doesn't mean they're a moderate (Patton Oswalt has a great bit on this).

Neither Kasich nor Portman is to the right of Husted.

Furthermore, do you consider any Republican in either house a moderate?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #511 on: May 19, 2017, 08:11:38 PM »

So he's a conservative?

Neither Kasich nor Portman is to the right of Husted.

Furthermore, do you consider any Republican in either house a moderate?

Actually they are, but you don't live here so I guess I'm not surprised you're a bit unfamiliar with the nuances of Ohio politics.
Rjjr77
« Reply #512 on: May 19, 2017, 11:55:03 PM »

So he's a conservative?

Dewine is arguably a moderate himself, staunchly pro-life sure, but voted for a path to citizenship, assault weapons ban, affirmative action, against drilling in Alaska. Dewines no where near as right as you think he must be
Rjjr77
« Reply #513 on: May 20, 2017, 12:01:02 AM »

So he's a conservative?

Depends on what issue, Husted's far right on the 2A but with issues like voter id and redistricting he's been very much in the moderate camp. Kasich and Portman are seen as more moderate than they are (kasichs nice guy BS facade in the presidential, Portman as a pretty upstanding and decently nice person and pro-gay marriage)

I actually consider LaRose more Husted than Kasich
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #514 on: May 20, 2017, 09:27:33 AM »

I really hope DeWine wins the primary, but looking at the financing so far, and Husted's minimal disadvantage in polls despite not being anywhere near as well known, I have my doubts.

Back in 2014, before Fitz blew up, a Dem party operative told me there was no way we could take out Husted because he was too likable and had his name up on everything. It certainly didn't help that Turner was his opponent, but you're not supposed to say that sort of thing.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #515 on: May 20, 2017, 09:41:07 AM »

So he's a conservative?

Dewine is arguably a moderate himself, staunchly pro-life sure, but voted for a path to citizenship, assault weapons ban, affirmative action, against drilling in Alaska. Dewines no where near as right as you think he must be

DeWine has moved quite a bit to the right since re-entered OH politics, IIRC.  He may not be a fire-breathing wingnut, but he's definitely not a moderate either.  He's fiercely pro-life, is horrible on voter's rights, supported Santorum in 2012, and has been a staunch Trump supporter, opposes gay marriage, and is pretty conservative on a number of economic issues.  He's only a "moderate" compared to someone like Josh Mandel or Jim Jordan, as opposed to being an actual moderate.
Rjjr77
« Reply #516 on: May 20, 2017, 10:07:44 AM »

So he's a conservative?

DeWine has moved quite a bit to the right since re-entered OH politics, IIRC.  He may not be a fire-breathing wingnut, but he's definitely not a moderate either.  He's fiercely pro-life, is horrible on voter's rights, supported Santorum in 2012, and has been a staunch Trump supporter, opposes gay marriage, and is pretty conservative on a number of economic issues.  He's only a "moderate" compared to someone like Josh Mandel or Jim Jordan, as opposed to being an actual moderate.

Dewines more like Kasich in that who knows what he actually believes, but there is no way Republicans in ohio think Dewine is conservative
Rjjr77
« Reply #517 on: May 20, 2017, 10:09:30 AM »

I really hope DeWine wins the primary, but looking at the financing so far, and Husted's minimal disadvantage in polls despite not being anywhere near as well known, I have my doubts.

Back in 2014, before Fitz blew up, a Dem party operative told me there was no way we could take out Husted because he was too likable and had his name up on everything. It certainly didn't help that Turner was his opponent, but you're not supposed to say that sort of thing.
I'm a Husted fan and I think he's in the best position.

I figured ds would be hoping for taylor
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #518 on: May 20, 2017, 10:24:30 AM »

I'm a Husted fan and I think he's in the best position.

I figured ds would be hoping for Taylor
Sure. I just doubt it will be her. Or Renacci, for that matter. If it's going to be Husted or DeWine, which I think it will be, I'd prefer DeWine.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #519 on: May 20, 2017, 10:44:35 AM »

So he's a conservative?

Dewines more like Kasich in that who knows what he actually believes, but there is no way Republicans in ohio think Dewine is conservative

Being "moderate" in the context of the Ohio Republican Party doesn't make someone a moderate.  It makes them a socially center-right, economically arch-conservative Republican who uses inoffensive-sounding language even when saying really horrible things.  At this point, the ORP is extremely conservative (especially the legislature) and it's a sign of just how right-wing many Republicans in this state are that someone like Kasich or DeWine could be perceived as a "moderate." 

That said, I don't think most people see DeWine as a moderate.  I think most Ohioans consider DeWine a conservative Republican (albeit a fairly bland and inoffensive one), but the real reason he's never been all that popular with OH Republicans is that he is basically the personification of a generic career politician and thus has never been all that likable (at least imo).  This is especially problematic for him when the Republican Party is dominated by anti-establishment whacktivists who code this as a sign that DeWine is some sort of RINO squish, but again, the real issue is that he's a career politician who often comes across as being utterly unremarkable in just about every way.
Rjjr77
« Reply #520 on: May 20, 2017, 02:16:12 PM »

It's more than career politician, Husted wed all agree fits that role to. It's that Dewine has no belief structure, by all accounts he was a moderate in the senate, now he attempts to style himself a conservative, what does he actually stand for, other than being DeWine. It's the same problem many had with hillary, Kerry and others.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #521 on: May 20, 2017, 02:51:51 PM »

It's more than career politician, Husted wed all agree fits that role to. It's that Dewine has no belief structure, by all accounts he was a moderate in the senate, now he attempts to style himself a conservative, what does he actually stand for, other than being DeWine. It's the same problem many had with hillary, Kerry and others.

Fair enough, although I'd say he was center-right in the Senate (Voinovich was a moderate).  When I say DeWine's a conservative, I'm talking about since being elected AG (and especially in recent years).  Your point about DeWine not standing for anything except his career advancement is spot on though. 
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #522 on: May 23, 2017, 12:34:36 PM »

Dettelbach is inching toward officializing his campaign launch. From what I know, he's been getting around, but mostly on the down-low. I'd wager he's been holding off so he can announce a lot of cash on hand at launch.
Rjjr77
« Reply #523 on: May 24, 2017, 12:59:33 PM »

Dettelbach is inching toward officializing his campaign launch. From what I know, he's been getting around, but mostly on the down-low. I'd wager he's been holding off so he can announce a lot of cash on hand at launch.
Still think it's a mistake. Let's not forget that even his own campaign spelled his name wrong.

In governor news Husted picked up the Ohioans for concealed carry endorsement today.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #524 on: May 24, 2017, 03:39:37 PM »

Still think it's a mistake. Let's not forget that even his own campaign spelled his name wrong.

In governor news Husted picked up the Ohioans for concealed carry endorsement today.

If it's a wave, Yost will lose.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies