OH: More Money Stuff (August)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:47:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  OH: More Money Stuff (August)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 79
Author Topic: OH: More Money Stuff (August)  (Read 184725 times)
Rjjr77
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #575 on: June 10, 2017, 04:52:31 PM »

As far as I'm concerned, the only reason to purge a voter from the rolls is in the rare case of actual voter fraud. Brunner acting in the same way doesn't make me respect Husted more, it makes me respect Brunner less.

I can't disagree on this more, nothing like clogged poll books with hundreds of thousands of duplicates and deceased voters, as well as people who have moved.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #576 on: June 11, 2017, 09:03:55 AM »

As far as I'm concerned, the only reason to purge a voter from the rolls is in the rare case of actual voter fraud. Brunner acting in the same way doesn't make me respect Husted more, it makes me respect Brunner less.

I can't disagree on this more, nothing like clogged poll books with hundreds of thousands of duplicates and deceased voters, as well as people who have moved.

I would be willing to amendment my statement to the only reason to purge a dead voter from the rolls is the rare case of actual voter fraud. But that's about it.

And probably (one of) the difference(s) between me being a pretty left-leaning Democrat and you being you. Smiley
rpryor03
Bahamas

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #577 on: June 13, 2017, 11:07:37 AM »

Eugh, Mary Taylor is a p.o.s.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #578 on: June 13, 2017, 11:19:07 AM »

This is in response to her capitalizing on her sons' addiction?
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #579 on: June 16, 2017, 05:54:57 PM »

Newark City Councilman Jeremy Blake is weighing a run for State Treasurer and has been making rounds across the state while up for re-election this year. I'd say he's a small fry, but his poking around might be indicative Leland isn't running. Or maybe Blake is trying to root out Leland's true intentions. No idea, Leland's not been in the news much recently.

Meanwhile, the Zack Space for Auditor rumor mill grows louder and louder.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #580 on: June 19, 2017, 10:39:55 PM »

ECOT/Charter scandal is growing, with the State Board of Education demanding $60 mil. back, though ECOT claims they can't sustain that kind of financial loss. Accounting for other failing charter schools, this is much more financially significant than Coingate ever was. Not to mention the human cost.

Also, Yost praised ECOT's audits and gave them an award for excellence a while back. Chartergate should get bigger, and I'd be surprised if Dettelbach doesn't work in Yost's ECOT-praise into an ad.
Rjjr77
« Reply #581 on: June 19, 2017, 11:35:34 PM »

ECOT/Charter scandal is growing, with the State Board of Education demanding $60 mil. back, though ECOT claims they can't sustain that kind of financial loss. Accounting for other failing charter schools, this is much more financially significant than Coingate ever was. Not to mention the human cost.

Also, Yost praised ECOT's audits and gave them an award for excellence a while back. Chartergate should get bigger, and I'd be surprised if Dettelbach doesn't work in Yost's ECOT-praise into an ad.

ECOT is not a scandal with any legs right now, because I think most normal people would consider both sides being ridiculous. I'm confident a middle ground will be reached eventually. As for charter schools, they are still a weird issue, that is polarizing and probably is not a real wedge for any large group. Selling it as government waste/corruption seems like a reach to the casual person and may be too hard to sell to voters.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #582 on: June 20, 2017, 07:56:43 AM »

ECOT is not a scandal with any legs right now, because I think most normal people would consider both sides being ridiculous. I'm confident a middle ground will be reached eventually. As for charter schools, they are still a weird issue, that is polarizing and probably is not a real wedge for any large group. Selling it as government waste/corruption seems like a reach to the casual person and may be too hard to sell to voters.

It shouldn't be a reach since, 1) it's pay-to-play politics, 2) more financially irresponsible than Coingate, and 3) is, in the case of schools like ECOT, setting kids' education back years.
Rjjr77
« Reply #583 on: June 20, 2017, 08:20:31 AM »

It shouldn't be a reach since, 1) it's pay-to-play politics, 2) more financially irresponsible than Coingate, and 3) is, in the case of schools like ECOT, setting kids' education back years.
1. Is it, care to explain how in terms that are ready set for an advertisement? You have to get more in the weeds on it than the average person cares to listen
2. See one, coingate was an easy sell, investments went missing.
3. Not really, ECOT is usually a school of last resort, the majority of their students have been dismissed from other schools already, and log in times are not a fair measure of a school like this. Think of your online classes in college, are you logged in for hours? Doesn't mean you aren't completing work. Do they owe some money back? Absolutely. Is that 60 million a ridiculous number? Absolutely. Will this be worked out? Yes.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #584 on: June 20, 2017, 08:39:40 PM »

We'll see if it gets worked out. I'm doubtful Will Lager gets given up by the OH GOP.

There may not be a good ad for, say, Schiavoni or Whaley, but there's a solid ad against Yost. $60 million is just one year of mismanagement, and this likely goes back to 2014 or so. Log in's aren't the biggest issue, it's misreporting enrollment.

(I also never took any online classes in college.)
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #585 on: June 25, 2017, 07:44:01 PM »

Finally.

I really want new fundraising numbers.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #586 on: June 26, 2017, 02:48:05 PM »

Former congressman Zack Space is running for Auditor while failed Cincinnati mayoral candidate Rob Richardson is running for Treasurer. Space is a good get for Democrats, though it unfortunately means Lorain Mayor Ritenauer is probably out. Richardson says he was approached about running, which I hope isn't true because Leland is a MUCH better candidate.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #587 on: June 26, 2017, 03:30:08 PM »

Former congressman Zack Space is running for Auditor while failed Cincinnati mayoral candidate Rob Richardson is running for Treasurer. Space is a good get for Democrats, though it unfortunately means Lorain Mayor Ritenauer is probably out. Richardson says he was approached about running, which I hope isn't true because Leland is a MUCH better candidate.

Always liked Space, glad he's running!
Rjjr77
« Reply #588 on: June 28, 2017, 10:00:23 AM »

Ive been hearing a Sutton/Leland ticket as of late. perhaps thats why?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #589 on: June 28, 2017, 11:00:19 AM »

Ive been hearing a Sutton/Leland ticket as of late. perhaps thats why?

Ugh, please don't let this be a thing.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #590 on: June 28, 2017, 07:42:50 PM »
« Edited: June 28, 2017, 07:50:14 PM by BuckeyeNut »

I'd be disappointed in Leland if that's true, but I've also heard Sutton is behaving better toward her staff and colleagues. Maybe her loss humbled her some? I'm still skeptical. Another thing about Sutton is that she introduced Bernie when he came through Columbus this past weekend. Nothing about Nina Turner being there -- hopefully that means she's out. Though that raises a question as to whether or not Bill O'Neil will get in.

EDIT: O'Neil having said he would unless Turner or Cordray get in.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #591 on: June 30, 2017, 11:13:24 AM »

Pence offered an endorsement of sorts to Renacci when in Cleveland earlier this week. Also, the quarterly finance period end today. We should get an idea of how everyone is doing by the end of next week.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #592 on: July 05, 2017, 11:58:02 AM »

Republicans in the General Assembly are looking to override Governor Kasich's veto and cut 500,000 Ohioans from Medicaid spending. If they are successful, I don't see how this doesn't come back to bite them. Hard.
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #593 on: July 05, 2017, 01:44:48 PM »

BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #594 on: July 05, 2017, 02:08:40 PM »

I wish. Though, it's worth noting Hamilton County's trending D hard enough it's likely gone for the Republicans in a statewide race outside an R-wave. Strickland got 42% of the vote there after he imploded, even though it's Portman's home; Clinton got 52.5% of the vote; and the 1st District actually trended away from Chabot.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #595 on: July 07, 2017, 01:33:33 PM »

Evidently, Mary Taylor wasn't official yet? Whatever, she sucks. If anyone is a dark horse for Governor, it's Renacci who's become something of the default Trump candidate.
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #596 on: July 07, 2017, 02:07:25 PM »

What downballot statewide races are the Ohio dems most likely to win?
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #597 on: July 07, 2017, 02:39:19 PM »

Right now, it's hard to say. We should have mid-year finance reports by the end of the month, and that'll be a good indicator of how people are doing in the absence of polling.

Space is a very good get for Auditor; Dettelbach looks great for AG, but he took a while to get going;  Clyde is the best get Dems have for SOS, not that there's stiff competition; the current Treasurer candidate is a failed candidate for Cinci Mayor and a joke. If State Rep. David Leland, who chaired Strickland's '06 campaign for Governor, runs for Treasurer, that race should easily become the most winnable.
Rjjr77
« Reply #598 on: July 07, 2017, 02:51:13 PM »

Evidently, Mary Taylor wasn't official yet? Whatever, she sucks. If anyone is a dark horse for Governor, it's Renacci who's become something of the default Trump candidate.
Mary Taylor is ahead of all other candidates in times she's officially announced she's running for governor
Rjjr77
« Reply #599 on: July 07, 2017, 02:52:13 PM »

Auditor, less because I think space is strong and more because I think Faber isn't.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies