OH: More Money Stuff (August) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 12:50:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  OH: More Money Stuff (August) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: OH: More Money Stuff (August)  (Read 186214 times)
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: January 06, 2017, 05:10:02 PM »

Case study in whether Trumpism is transferable beyond Trump
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 09:00:22 PM »

Because they've traditionally fit the Kasich model?

ION: While she has to seek re-election this year, Dayton Mayor Nan Whaley has expressed serious interest in running for Governor.

Why not just run against Mike What'shisname in Congress?
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 01:38:38 PM »

Montgomery County actually went for Trump in 2016, the first time the county has gone Republican since Reagan. While the district is theoretically one of the most competitive by PVI (though that needs re-calculating), Mike Turner is an incredibly popular incumbent. Unless he does something drastic, it's not a particularly good pick-up opportunity until his retirement.

Additionally, while Whaley has been talked up as potential Congressional candidate in the past, she seems more interested in serving as an executive.

Got it. Thanks!
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 06:43:05 PM »

Hate to double post. But Palenda now officially in for SOS. This could get ugly, as Senator LaRose comes from an independently wealthy family. That said, he was scheduled to have fundraiser in D.C. tonight with Sean Spicer headlining, and Spicer was allegedly made to drop the event from his schedule due to LaRose being so critical of Trump early on. Palenda can probably play on that, regardless.

This'll be a fascinating dynamic - Trump deep-sixing potential rising stars like LaRose over their initial critiques of him. I think it could hurt the GOP in a lot of races
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 11:54:06 AM »

Sutton has superior name recognition, obviously, but I'm skeptical about her campaign chops. We'll see
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2017, 11:05:39 AM »

Mike DeWine killed a Fair Redistricting amendment yesterday. Republicans in the State poll as favoring fair districts, so this may bite him.

Interestingly, his main opponent Husted has been a frequent and vocal supporter of redistricting reform for some time.

Fully independent or just with strong guidelines, a la Iowa?
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2017, 12:37:33 PM »

Mike DeWine killed a Fair Redistricting amendment yesterday. Republicans in the State poll as favoring fair districts, so this may bite him.

Interestingly, his main opponent Husted has been a frequent and vocal supporter of redistricting reform for some time.

Fully independent or just with strong guidelines, a la Iowa?

I think the bill he put forward several time was for at least one member of the minority party on the apportionment board had to approve the map.

Better than nothing I suppose. Still think the Iowa method is the best.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2017, 04:21:44 PM »

LaRose is pretty moderate, no?
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2017, 05:10:17 PM »

KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2017, 10:04:13 AM »

I'm thinking both primary (and general) are lean Husted

But OH posters would obviously know better
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2017, 07:52:09 PM »

At the statewide level, we passed a constitutional amendment called Mary's Law that a California millionaire has been financing around the country. The amendment calls for "victim's rights" in criminal proceedings. Most of it is redundant, as the Ohio Constitution already featured a set of victim's rights, while part of it is incredibly harmful and hampers due process by letting the victims of crime refuse participation in the discovery process.

We also rejected an amendment that would have set a fixed price the state pays for pharmaceuticals and tied that price to the discount rate the VA pays. Nice on paper, but a lot of problems with enforcement, and some weird provisions about using tax dollars to pay for a private legal defense of the bill passed and incurred law suits, which almost certainly would have given enforcement issues.

The incumbent Mayor of Toledo lost re-election to another Democrat, the incumbent Mayor of Lima retained his seat versus a competent Republican, the incumbent Mayor of Cincinatti crushed his opposition after barely scraping into second place during the open primary, and the Mayor of Cleveland won an unprecedented fourth term.

Whoa letting alleged victims opt out of discovery!? That’s insane. Is that even constitutional?
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2018, 03:23:51 PM »

Barf. I have a number of disagreements with Sanders but he’s not on RT ranting about the Deep State. There is no comparison.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2018, 08:50:49 AM »

This is going well
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2018, 11:25:14 AM »

As Colin Firth says in “Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy”...

“It has become so very ugly.”
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2018, 05:23:01 PM »

Suggests a generic D lead of about +3 then
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2018, 05:05:06 PM »

I feel very good about downticket Ohio Democrats. Just need Cordray to pull it out for the sweep!
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2018, 08:37:19 AM »

http://www.dispatch.com/news/20180711/dewine-pledges-to-keep-full-medicaid-expansion-coverage DeWine has now changed his tune and says he will keep full medicaid expansion coverage --- albeit while seeking reforms.

I’ll take “my polling looks bad” for 400
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2018, 09:45:41 AM »

New and improved prediction map that I won't update again until October or so.

By my count, there are 2 Likely D seats currently held by Republicans, 3 Tossups, 5 Tilt R seats, 2 Lean R seats, 7 Likely R seats, and 7 Very Likely R seats. A bad night in November consists of winning only 2 seats, an okay night is 3-6, a good night is 7-10, and a great night is 11 or more.

Imagine how clean a non-gerrymandered map would look Tongue
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2018, 10:02:59 PM »

Oh boy. Bill Seitz is something else.

Lolwut
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2018, 06:11:42 PM »

More anecdotal observations (not from phone banking): there's a lot of pissy Republicans/conservatives /single issue gun voters planning to vote for Travis Irvine. Libertarians will easily get the 3% needed to retain ballot access in 2020.
Excellent news! Takes votes from DeWine so Cordray can win!
Single issue gun voters should prefer Cordray to DeWine anyway.

Is DeWine to Cordray’s left on guns?! Surprising!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies