OH: More Money Stuff (August) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 01:11:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  OH: More Money Stuff (August) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: OH: More Money Stuff (August)  (Read 186225 times)
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« on: April 01, 2017, 02:25:40 PM »
« edited: April 01, 2017, 02:40:44 PM by Technocratic Timmy »

Why doesn't Cordray jump into the race?

I know that he's sworn that he wouldn't voluntarily leave the cfpb, but Trump will likely fire him the day after the Ohio filing as a way of ending his political career for good. The GOP doesn't want Cordray to run and they don't like the cfpb so this strategy would be a way of killing two birds with one stone.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 02:57:44 PM »

I know that he's sworn that he wouldn't voluntarily leave the cfpb, but Trump will likely fire him the day after the Ohio filing as a way of ending his political career for good. The GOP doesn't want Cordray to run and they don't like the cfpb so this strategy would be a way of killing two birds with one stone.
Well 1. He may not want to do it, and 2. Primary democrats are going to hit him and say he gave up and caved to trump

Are there any credible challengers to him? I've heard that he's very popular in Ohio; especially with the progressive base.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2017, 04:16:22 PM »

Well 1. He may not want to do it, and 2. Primary democrats are going to hit him and say he gave up and caved to trump

Are there any credible challengers to him? I've heard that he's very popular in Ohio; especially with the progressive base.
Betty Sutton, Joe schiavoni, and Connie pillich are already in, plus Cordray is pro-2nd amendment, which could also bite him in a primary. He may decide to sit this cycle out

Democrats can't be pro gun even in the Ohio primaries?
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2017, 05:18:21 PM »

I feel like Cordray would waltz over a divided primary field, though, and wouldn't need to change his position on guns to win it. He's easily the elephant. Question is, does Trump fire him?

My thoughts as well.

The GOP is probably planning on Trump firing him the day after the Ohio filing deadline.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 05:39:09 PM »

I think he should go for it. At the end of the day, Trump is going to get to name his successor at the CFPB regardless. If he misses the governor race, he'll have to wait until 2022 to have another shot at that or a Senate seat, and circumstances by then might even preclude that.

Agreed. It's time for Cordray to accept his destiny and become the governor of Ohio and make his way to the White House in 2024.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2017, 07:31:23 PM »
« Edited: April 17, 2017, 07:42:45 PM by Technocratic Timmy »

I think he should go for it. At the end of the day, Trump is going to get to name his successor at the CFPB regardless. If he misses the governor race, he'll have to wait until 2022 to have another shot at that or a Senate seat, and circumstances by then might even preclude that.

Agreed. It's time for Cordray to accept his destiny and become the governor of Ohio and make his way to the White House in 2024.

Is Mr. Cordray charismatic enough to win the 2024 Democratic presidential nomination? Is he too white? Maybe. A Cordray-Ossoff ticket in 2024 would be good or a Warren-Cordray ticket, but it would be too "intellectual" for the same white working class voters Cordray is trying to court as Ohio governor in 2018.

Charisma comes in different forms and can be learned to a certisn extent.

Too white? Most Democratic leaders are white and white people make up a majority of Democrats and people who lean Democrat. (Source.)
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2017, 11:35:37 PM »

Cordray needs to get fired soon so he can run.

Maybe he can just start openly mocking Trump's hand size on twitter?
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2017, 08:57:38 PM »

Sorry to all fans of TD, but Cordray ain't running.

Don't make hasty predictions.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2017, 12:38:29 PM »

Is Cordray strong? I thought he was a little damaged goods. Definitely think he has less crossover support than Generic Democrat (D).

Who's the alternative in Ohio? Cordray would be able rally progressives, is pro 2nd amendment, very well liked in the state, and plays strongly in southeastern Ohio.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2017, 11:57:43 AM »

Kathleen Clyde is officially in for Secretary of State.

EDIT: Also, the idea Cordray would play well in SE Ohio is garbage. Strickland tanked in Appalachia, and he was still something of a folk legend in his old Congressional District. Some of that might be about his flip on the 2nd Amendment, but I wouldn't count on Cordray's gun position not also having "evolved."

That was during the Tea Party wave of 2010...something tells me that's not gonna happen in 2018 and if anything the Democrats are much more likely to be in a favorable environment.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2017, 08:42:32 PM »

Recent Cordray speculation may be flamed on by Brent Larkin, who anticipates his entry by September, but lacks any solid evidence as to why he thinks that might be the case.

Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2017, 04:25:23 PM »

What does he have to lose? He's only got a year left at the cfpb and Trump is definitely not keeping him on. Plus he's a relatively young guy at 58 (for a political public servant at least).

I'd be more surprised if he chose not to run.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2017, 07:35:45 PM »

Why are you so skeptical on Cordray's run? The guy has nothing else on his plate if he opts not to run for Governor since there's no way in hell Trump keeps him on as cfpb head. Plus you've been saying back in March that he only had one month left to jump into the race.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2017, 01:46:53 AM »

How is it too late though? The general election is over 15 months away from today.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2017, 04:38:18 AM »

While I believe O'Neill over Larkin, it would be late for Cordray to enter in the Fall and Cordray has the making of a DC lifer -- even if he is in Grove City a couple times a month. I would be very unsurprised if he wasn't angling for a proper cabinet position in the next Democratic administration.

Could he still get in? Yes. Does he feel bound to fulfill TD's vision? In all due respect, no.

A Democratic victory is no shoe in (despite what some like to think) for the 2020 Presidential eleciton so Cordray could easily be waiting until the ripe old age of 65 before he gets into the next Democratic cabinet circa 2025. I don't see that being something he wants to risk.

He'll run for Governor in the meantime. There's no serious reason for him not to jump into the race besides some gut instinct that it's too late for him to jump in even though his window is still clearly open.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2017, 12:02:05 PM »

But we know Cordray violated the Hatch Act cuz he already made his own campaign website for Governor: http://www.cordray2018.com duh /s

The GOP is so scared of this guy it's unbelievable.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2017, 07:25:23 PM »

Corey Lewandowski calls for Cordray to be fired.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies