App to Redraw the States and Change the Electoral Map
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:06:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  App to Redraw the States and Change the Electoral Map
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11
Author Topic: App to Redraw the States and Change the Electoral Map  (Read 35057 times)
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2016, 11:52:34 AM »
« edited: December 02, 2016, 11:55:56 AM by TimTurner »

You can combine states using this app, which is really neat. I always knew that a state that combined ID, WY, ND, SD, and MT would be the same size (population-speaking) as Louisiana, with 9 electoral votes instead of the 16 they have now, and that having one state instead of 5 would have flipped the election of 2000. What I didnt know until now is that if you add Nebraska to the superstate, it would only end up with eleven electoral votes, the same as Arizona, Tennessee, Massachusetts, and Indiana.

Its effect on the Senate would be more severe: a state which had 12 senators would now have 2, both Republicans. Remove 2 Democrats and 8 Republicans from the Senate to account for this, and you'd get a Democrat-controlled upper chamber, 46 to 44.

This shows just how gerrymandered the actual electoral college is. A group of people with the same numbers as Indiana have sextuple the Senate representation and nearly double the electoral college representation, just because of how they're distributed. (though this doesn't flip the 2016 election, but as we saw, changing the EC to do that is trivial)

See it here:  https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxotT4W5VIw9VFVzdHl6dE5KaHM/view?usp=sharing
The only states actually intentionally gerrymandered were the Dakotas being split in two by Rs in Washington before statehood. Most states were not created solely for political purposes, and their shapes are organic and not as easily changed as this app might apply. YMMV.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2016, 12:01:37 PM »

It's actually 91 C 447 T, but that doesn't change the reality that this map is a terrible, mean R gerrymander.
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -7.22

« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2016, 12:24:04 PM »

You can combine states using this app, which is really neat. I always knew that a state that combined ID, WY, ND, SD, and MT would be the same size (population-speaking) as Louisiana, with 9 electoral votes instead of the 16 they have now, and that having one state instead of 5 would have flipped the election of 2000. What I didnt know until now is that if you add Nebraska to the superstate, it would only end up with eleven electoral votes, the same as Arizona, Tennessee, Massachusetts, and Indiana.

Its effect on the Senate would be more severe: a state which had 12 senators would now have 2, both Republicans. Remove 2 Democrats and 8 Republicans from the Senate to account for this, and you'd get a Democrat-controlled upper chamber, 46 to 44.

This shows just how gerrymandered the actual electoral college is. A group of people with the same numbers as Indiana have sextuple the Senate representation and nearly double the electoral college representation, just because of how they're distributed. (though this doesn't flip the 2016 election, but as we saw, changing the EC to do that is trivial)

See it here:  https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxotT4W5VIw9VFVzdHl6dE5KaHM/view?usp=sharing
The only states actually intentionally gerrymandered were the Dakotas being split in two by Rs in Washington before statehood. Most states were not created solely for political purposes, and their shapes are organic and not as easily changed as this app might apply. YMMV.

Is it really just the Dakotas? I remember the Dakotas plus Montana/Idaho/Wyoming were added at the same time as separate states and found that to be really suspicious. Besides, even if the gerrymandering isn't intentional, it's still the effect that we got. The mountain west isn't even the only example, it's just the most glaring. (Vermont and Delaware, anyone?)
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2016, 12:38:59 PM »

Is it really just the Dakotas? I remember the Dakotas plus Montana/Idaho/Wyoming were added at the same time as separate states and found that to be really suspicious. Besides, even if the gerrymandering isn't intentional, it's still the effect that we got. The mountain west isn't even the only example, it's just the most glaring. (Vermont and Delaware, anyone?)
Democrats opposed the admission of the Western states. Rs only were able to admit them when they had the votes.
That being said, while most state boundaries were organic and such, in the antebellum years, for decades, some states were created to preserve the balance of votes between slave states and free states. Maine is one example.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2016, 12:39:16 PM »

The Idaho and Montana territories had existed with their current borders pre-statehood for a long time, and in those days it was difficult to manage a much larger body politic.

The history of why ID and MT's borders were placed as they were, and how Boise became the capital to the exclusion of Lewiston, is pretty remarkable
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2016, 12:58:46 PM »

Nevada was also created for electoral purposes, to help buttress Lincoln's reelection in 1864. I think the same is true of Wyoming but am less certain.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2016, 01:03:48 PM »
« Edited: December 02, 2016, 01:05:34 PM by Chickenhawk »

The mountain west isn't even the only example, it's just the most glaring. (Vermont and Delaware, anyone?)

There has always been a pretty heated discussion about whether or not Vermont should exist. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Hampshire_Grants
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2016, 01:06:56 PM »
« Edited: December 02, 2016, 01:13:24 PM by TimTurner »

Nevada was also created for electoral purposes, to help buttress Lincoln's reelection in 1864. I think the same is true of Wyoming but am less certain.
Yeah, re: NV. They even have a state motto: "Battle Born". I knew I shouldn't had used "only" later on...I should have added "that I can recall atm". Nonetheless, NV was going to be admitted anyway; the Civil War just hastened statehood.
But my overall point stands. The UP wasn't added to MI so Trump could win it. It was added to compensate MI for the loss of the Toledo Strip.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2016, 01:13:00 PM »

I recreated this "50 States with Equal Population" map that was discussed a while ago.

Each state is worth around 10 EV's. From 2012, Hillary flipped Chinati and Atlanta, but Trump flipped Mesabi, Sangamon, Tidewater, and the Firelands.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #59 on: December 02, 2016, 01:17:28 PM »

I recreated this "50 States with Equal Population" map that was discussed a while ago.

Each state is worth around 10 EV's. From 2012, Hillary flipped Chinati and Atlanta, but Trump flipped Mesabi, Sangamon, Tidewater, and the Firelands.
How did Trinity vote?
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #60 on: December 02, 2016, 01:23:33 PM »

How did Trinity vote?

Trump.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #61 on: December 02, 2016, 01:26:33 PM »

How did Trinity vote?

Trump.
I mean what do you think the margin was.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #62 on: December 02, 2016, 02:29:20 PM »

You can combine states using this app, which is really neat. I always knew that a state that combined ID, WY, ND, SD, and MT would be the same size (population-speaking) as Louisiana, with 9 electoral votes instead of the 16 they have now, and that having one state instead of 5 would have flipped the election of 2000.

This is only because the Electoral College for 2000 was based on the 1990 Census, more than a decade before the election. Using those obsolescent numbers gave more representatives to Gore-leaning states than they deserved.

Use the 2000 apportionment on the 2000 presidential election would have resulted in Bush electoral college victory.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #63 on: December 02, 2016, 02:44:34 PM »

The capital of Dakota Territory had been in Yankton on the Missouri River adjacent to Nebraska. Population in North Dakota was concentrated along the Red River, and then the Northern Pacific opened up east-west transportation across the state.

South Dakota was one of the very few states admitted to the Union with two representatives. A more credible case could be made for keeping Wyoming or Montana as territories.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #64 on: December 02, 2016, 02:57:33 PM »

Use the 2000 apportionment on the 2000 presidential election would have resulted in Bush electoral college victory.

freudian slip? Tongue
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #65 on: December 02, 2016, 03:20:34 PM »

i like mine better tbh
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #66 on: December 02, 2016, 04:02:25 PM »

How did Trinity vote?

Trump.
I mean what do you think the margin was.

51.34 to 48.65, roughly
sentinel
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #67 on: December 02, 2016, 04:28:05 PM »

Does anyone know of similar apps?
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #68 on: December 02, 2016, 06:20:25 PM »
« Edited: December 02, 2016, 06:24:08 PM by muon2 »

I reposted this map of an alternate 50 states a few months ago.

I posted a series of redrawn states back in 2013. Two of those posts were requoted in the 5 Midwests thread. The concept was to follow the Nine Nations of North America by J. Garreau (1981), preserve metro areas, and make each state no less than 50% nor more than 200% of the average population of 6.2 million. Data from dialects, agriculture, topography and religion all play into these borders.

Here are the states from that series. They're named for native peoples of the area. I've listed the principal city or cities and the 2010 population (in millions):

Ecotopia
Duwamish (Seattle) 4.7
Chinook (Portland) 3.6
Shasta (Sacramento) 3.6
Ohlone (San Francisco) 9.5

Empty Quarter
Paiute (Reno, Boise, Spokane) 4.8
Ute (Salt Lake City) 3.5
Navajo (Las Vegas) 3.4
Arapaho (Denver) 5.2

Breadbasket
Dakota (Omaha) 4.2
Ojibwe (Minneapolis) 5.6
Sauk (Madison, Des Moines) 5.1
Illini (St Louis) 5.8
Kansa (Kansas City) 4.3
Comanche (Oklahoma City) 5.3
Wichita (Dallas) 9.6

MexAmerica
Yokuts (Fresno) 4.1
Chumash (Los Angeles) 11.1
Cahuilla (San Diego) 10.5
O'odham (Phoenix) 5.7
Apache (El Paso) 3.1
Xarame (San Antonio) 4.3
Tonkawa (Houston) 5.9

New England
Abenaki (Manchester) 3.8
Wampanoag (Boston) 4.9
Pequot (Providence) 5.1

Foundry
Winnebago (Milwaukee) 4.0
Meskwaki (Chicago) 9.7
Potawatomi (Fort Wayne, Grand Rapids) 4.5
Ottawa (Detroit) 5.8
Erie (Cleveland) 4.3
Miami (Indianapolis, Columbus) 8.9
Mingo (Pittsburgh) 8.3
Iroquois (Buffalo) 5.1
Susquehannock (Washington, Baltimore) 10.9
Lenape (Philadelphia) 7.4
Raritan (Newark) 5.5
Munsee (New York) 8.4
Montauk (Brooklyn) 7.6

Dixie
Chitimacha (New Orleans) 3.7
Caddo (Shreveport) 3.3
Osage (Little Rock) 4.6
Tunica (Memphis) 4.4
Chickasaw (Atlanta) 9.4
Shawnee (Nashville, Louisville) 6.8
Cherokee (Knoxville) 8.8
Powhatan (Virginia Beach) 7.5
Catawba (Charlotte) 7.0
Muskogee (Montgomery, Augusta) 9.0
Seminole (Jacksonville) 9.8

Islands
Colusa (Miami) 7.1

Then at Antonio V's request I calculated the apportionment and 2012 result by hand.

I calculated an apportionment and applied the 2012 results as well back in 2013. 436 seats are apportioned to account for the inclusion of DC. Here are the EV's and 2012 winning party.

Ecotopia
Duwamish (Seattle) 9 D
Chinook (Portland) 7 D
Shasta (Sacramento) 7 D
Ohlone (San Francisco) 15 D

Empty Quarter
Paiute (Reno, Boise, Spokane) 9 R
Ute (Salt Lake City) 7 R

Navajo (Las Vegas) 7 D
Arapaho (Denver) 9 R

Breadbasket
Dakota (Omaha) 8 R
Ojibwe (Minneapolis) 10 D
Sauk (Madison, Des Moines) 9 D
Illini (St Louis) 10 D

Kansa (Kansas City) 8 R
Comanche (Oklahoma City) 8 R
Wichita (Dallas) 8 R

MexAmerica
Yokuts (Fresno) 8 R
Chumash (Los Angeles) 18 D
Cahuilla (San Diego) 17 D

O'odham (Phoenix) 10 R
Apache (El Paso) 7 D
Xarame (San Antonio) 8 D

Tonkawa (Houston) 10 R

New England
Abenaki (Manchester) 7 D
Wampanoag (Boston) 9 D
Pequot (Providence) 9 D

Foundry
Winnebago (Milwaukee) 8 D
Meskwaki (Chicago) 16 D
Potawatomi (Fort Wayne, Grand Rapids) 8 D
Ottawa (Detroit) 10 D
Erie (Cleveland) 8 D
Miami (Indianapolis, Columbus) 15 R
Mingo (Pittsburgh) 14 D
Iroquois (Buffalo) 9 D
Susquehannock (Washington, Baltimore) 17 D
Lenape (Philadelphia) 12 D
Raritan (Newark) 10 D
Munsee (New York) 14 D
Montauk (Brooklyn) 13 D

Dixie
Chitimacha (New Orleans) 7 R
Caddo (Shreveport) 7 R
Osage (Little Rock) 9 R
Tunica (Memphis) 8 R
Chickasaw (Atlanta) 15 R
Shawnee (Nashville, Louisville) 12 R
Cherokee (Knoxville) 14 R
Powhatan (Virginia Beach) 13 R
Catawba (Charlotte) 12 R
Muskogee (Montgomery, Augusta) 15 R
Seminole (Jacksonville) 16 R

Islands
Colusa (Miami) 12 D

Total: Obama 300, Romney 236.

The tool on the OP link makes it somewhat easier to calculate the 2016 results, though I can't zoom on my touch screen due to a problem with Chrome and the latest Win 10 release. It keeps me from clicking on the small independent cities and areas like San Francisco and DC. nb. The zoom does work with Edge.

The 2016 map has Navajo, Illini, Winnebago, Potawatomi, Mingo, and Iroquois flip to Trump while Powhatan flips to Clinton. Trump wins 279 to 257.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #69 on: December 02, 2016, 08:15:56 PM »

freudian slip? Tongue
The apportionment based on the 2000 Census.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #70 on: December 02, 2016, 08:30:39 PM »
« Edited: December 02, 2016, 08:32:17 PM by bagelman »

Alphabetical States of America (I)

A: 3.1M-2.1M R, 23 EV
C: 9.3M-5.6M D, 66 EV
D: 496k-197k D, 4 EV

F: R, 28EV
G: R, 16EV

H: D, 4 EV
I: 4,880,521-4,849,918 R, 36 EV, margin 30,603
K: 1.8M-1.0M R, 12 EV
L: R, 8 EV

M: 9.1M-8.4M D, 57 EV
N: 9.9M-8.4M D, 67 EV

O: 4.4M-3.6M R, 29 EV
P: R, 20 EV

R: D, 4 EV
S: 1.3M-967k R, 10 EV
T: 6.2M-4.7M R, 46 EV
U: R, 6 EV

V: 2.1M-1.2M D, 14 EV
W: 3,236,140-3,199,033 D, 23 EV, margin 37,107

239-234

Ultimately it's the 37,107 voters of W that give Clinton that superstate and the presidency. Trump would need to make himself not hated by Asian Americans of the Seattle metro somehow - or failing that, try to make Wisconsin not just flip but vote like Ohio, and maybe West Virginia voting like Mississippi whites.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #71 on: December 02, 2016, 08:47:01 PM »

The 1870 Census was the first after the Civil War, and the elimination of the 3/5 rule. The Northern Hegemons were in control and put lots of extras into the apportionment bill, including the uniform election date for Congress, a requirement for district elections, and a requirement that new states have enough population for one representative. They also passed a second apportionment bill to give extra representatives to states that elected Republicans, not based on population.

In 1890, South Dakota had more population than Oregon, Rhode Island, Vermont, Delaware, and Nevada, and nearly as many as New Hampshire and Florida, and was one of very few states ever to be admitted with two representatives. It made eminent sense to add Washington, South Dakota, and North Dakota at the time. Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho were much more dubious, and they passed over Utah.

At the time, it was a widely held belief that the rain followed the plow, that plowing up the prairie sod, would attract rain. Dry years beginning soon after disabused them of that notion.
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

« Reply #72 on: December 03, 2016, 09:53:43 AM »

Want to win the election? Take my way, that's the highway, it's the best.

So I had a little fun and decided to make a superstate following the length of Route 66 (excepting Cook County to make this actually work). The results were 273-263 (I had to kill Delaware)

I made sure to not split any state, so I combined North TX/OK with KS, South MO with AR, north IL with WI (flipping it). North NM was added to CO, South CA to AZ. In addition, VT and NH were combined, and parts of DE were combined with PA and MD.

Thanks to major urban centers like LA and St. Louis, Route 66 is a Safe D state, worth 28 EVs. Hillary's margin was over 1 million votes (thanks entirely to LA county).

Other figures:

New Wisconsin is worth 24 EVs, and is also hugely Democratic.

Old Illinois is only worth 5 EVs.

North Missouri is also worth 5 EVs.

Arkansas+ is worth 8.

Greater Kansas has taken much of Oklahoma's population and has gained an electoral vote, growing to 7.

Lesser Oklahoma is only worth 4 EVs, and was hillary's 5th worst state in raw vote total.

New Texas has dimmed its margin to under a million, but the loss of Amarillo gets it to only 37 EVs.

South New Mexico is worth 4 EVs and is very narrowly democratic.

Greater Colorado doesn't gain any EVs.

New California falls to 26 EVs, but is deep blue.

South Arizona is worth 22 EVs.

Any other questions?

statefile
President of the civil service full of trans activists
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #73 on: December 03, 2016, 12:33:40 PM »

Inspired by LLR, the length of I-85 from NC on moved to Virginia. Would have made it its own state if it weren't for independent cities. Also, flipped two counties to give Clinton 271 EVs.
Link
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

« Reply #74 on: December 03, 2016, 05:03:36 PM »

I got Trump under 100 with every state contiguous and reasonably sized (all 4 EVs except DC and the mid-Nebraska state).

This is the best done so far - I'm sure I could scrounge for a few more EVs, but I got a little bored and thought this was impressive enough.

I'm surprised it didn't take all that much gerrymandering - besides the West Iowa-North Missouri-Cook County state, and the Black Belt state, most states look fairly normal.

Anyone care to do better?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies