Very early House 2018 rating
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:40:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Very early House 2018 rating
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: -skip-
Safe R

Likely R

Lean R

Toss-Up

Lean D

Likely D

Safe D

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 51

Author Topic: Very early House 2018 rating  (Read 1526 times)
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 29, 2016, 05:40:16 PM »

I know it's extremely early, and we don't know what kind of year 2018 will be yet, but what the heck (RIP), let's give the House a tentative rating. I'll say Likely R. Odds are a neutral to good year for Democrats won't be enough for them, but if Trump has extremely bad approval ratings, and Democrats can get good recruits in Republican-leaning districts as well as swing districts, it's not completely out of the question that they could take back the house. That is an enormous 'if'.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2016, 05:57:14 PM »

Likely rep
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2016, 06:00:17 PM »

Lean R

Map/Geography favors Republicans, but I imagine Trump will not be sitting pretty in 2 years.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 06:55:36 PM »

Using the same principle that I used in my Senate projections, I will not count out any incumbent right now. Lean R. But that can change quickly.

I would like to note a few things.

1) Less than two months ago, I was being told that the Democrats have an electoral college lock and the GOP has a lock on midterms forever. Until the end of time pretty much. This was all based on results from 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014. In hindsight, that was a a stupid statement.

2) Many of the arguments I am hearing against the Democrats taking the House in 2018 exactly mirror the arguments against it in 2006. Literally word for word.

3) Yes, gerrymandering is an issue. But by 2018, it would have been nearly eight years since the lines were redrawn. Voting patterns have shifted, people have moved, people have died, people have become voting age.

4) Gerrymandering can also blow up. In 2006, the gop gerrymander spread out Democratic voters in Pennsylvania, with along with the anti GOP mood that year, allowed the Democrats to pick up multiple seats in Pennsylvania. If Trump is bad enough, the same thing can happen in multiple states in 2018.
also.

5) If Trump is unpopular and there is a anti Republican climate, it would be possible to unite old and new coalitions. For instance, the last Democratic wave midterm, Democrats were able to do well in the upper south. Sure, it may have been a last hurrah, but it helped in that election.

6) With all that being said, midterms do not always go against the White House party. But I think the most neutral early prediction would be GOP +5 Senate and DEM +10 House. 
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 07:20:43 PM »

Lean R

Map/Geography favors Republicans, but I imagine Trump will not be sitting pretty in 2 years.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2016, 08:35:45 PM »

Likely R, but closer to Lean than Safe. It would be interesting if we ended up with a D House and an R Senate.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2016, 10:01:51 PM »

Using the same principle that I used in my Senate projections, I will not count out any incumbent right now. Lean R. But that can change quickly.

1) Less than two months ago, I was being told that the Democrats have an electoral college lock and the GOP has a lock on midterms forever. Until the end of time pretty much. This was all based on results from 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014. In hindsight, that was a a stupid statement.

2) Many of the arguments I am hearing against the Democrats taking the House in 2018 exactly mirror the arguments against it in 2006. Literally word for word.

3) Yes, gerrymandering is an issue. But by 2018, it would have been nearly eight years since the lines were redrawn. Voting patterns have shifted, people have moved, people have died, people have become voting age.

4) Gerrymandering can also blow up. In 2006, the gop gerrymander spread out Democratic voters in Pennsylvania, with along with the anti GOP mood that year, allowed the Democrats to pick up multiple seats in Pennsylvania. If Trump is bad enough, the same thing can happen in multiple states in 2018.
also.

5) If Trump is unpopular and there is a anti Republican climate, it would be possible to unite old and new coalitions. For instance, the last Democratic wave midterm, Democrats were able to do well in the upper south. Sure, it may have been a last hurrah, but it helped in that election.

6) With all that being said, midterms do not always go against the White House party. But I think the most neutral early prediction would be GOP +5 Senate and DEM +10 House. 

Good post. We need to avoid falling into the rut of assuming that future elections will closely mirror past elections. Looking back further than a couple of cycles blows this notion out of the water.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2016, 10:04:16 PM »

also.

Good points Jimmie.

I don't think we have enough information yet, but in a gun-to-head scenario, I'd say Leans R. If we had some Republican like Romney or Kasich taking over, I'd say Likely R, but that just isn't the case.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2016, 10:26:38 PM »

Likely R, but closer to Lean than Safe. It'll be hard to overturn such a map for the Democrats (I think the gerrymanders for this cycle are harder than 2001-2010), but Trump may well be unpopular enough for it to happen, and there are enough Clinton-voting districts that might be flippable in a wave. Jimmie has some good points.
Devils30
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2016, 10:43:27 PM »

If the southern CA districts vote for House like they did for President, the GOP has a harder challenge than expected.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2016, 10:46:26 AM »
« Edited: November 30, 2016, 10:49:54 AM by Jimmie »

Likely R, but closer to Lean than Safe. It'll be hard to overturn such a map for the Democrats (I think the gerrymanders for this cycle are harder than 2001-2010), but Trump may well be unpopular enough for it to happen, and there are enough Clinton-voting districts that might be flippable in a wave. Jimmie has some good points.

Thank you!

Like I said, it has been two additional years since lines were drawn (2018 vs 2006), and in an anti-gop year, Democrats may be able to exploit old and new coalitions. We have a bunch of normally GOP districts that voted for Clinton, and many districts that had Democrats in office as recently as 2010/2012.

It is lean R at this point, as I am not counting out incumbents at this early stage.

I do find it interesting on how Democrats on this site are realistic to pessimistic about 2018 Elections but many Republicans are overly optimistic and predicting heavy Republican gains. That must be because of the unexpected Trump victory though.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2016, 01:25:40 PM »

2018/2020 could be similar to the 2006/2008 patterns, if Trump is unpopular. Dems might not be able to pick up 24 seats in 2018 alone, but 24 seats over 2 House cycles is doable.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2016, 03:16:30 PM »

With no DCCC recruits announced outside of Doug Applegate? Likely R. Talk to me again in a year or so.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2016, 07:35:06 AM »

Likely R for now. They have a better chance at the house than the senate.
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2016, 08:33:49 AM »

It's interesting -- 2022 may actually be the year when Democrats gain the most seats, due to newly created districts that aren't gerrymandered.  So Democrats could see a 1996, 1998, 2000 thing-- three consecutive cycles of small, incremental gains.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2016, 10:13:28 AM »

Likely R at this point.

Maybe around five seat loss if the Trumpster’s approval rating is not significant below 50%. If it’s in the low 40s, maybe ten seats at best. It would be toss-up if President Drumpf has an approval rating of 35% or below. But as of now, I think that Dems have better shot at the house than senate in 2018 (only if the Trumpster is underwater big league).
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2016, 02:06:52 PM »

Lean R, Republicans have incumbency and map advantages. But in three of the last four midterm elections in which the president's party held the House (2010, 2006, 1994, with 2002 the lone exception), the opposing party won control of the House.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies