Are we entering a new poltiical era characterized by neo-nationalism?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:21:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Are we entering a new poltiical era characterized by neo-nationalism?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Are we entering a new poltiical era characterized by neo-nationalism? Is this a backlash against globalization?
Yes/Yes

Yes/No

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: Are we entering a new poltiical era characterized by neo-nationalism?  (Read 2659 times)
Cassius
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2016, 12:00:22 PM »

We're entering an era where 3rd way is being rejected. You can lose with a 3rd wayer or beat the right-wing populist with a progressive like Austria did.

Alexander Van der Bellen is about as 'third way' as they come these days.
Seneca
Rookie

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2016, 07:18:59 PM »

We are. And the only way out of this era seems to go right through WWIII. I guess, after 2-3 billion people die over a short period, the survivors will understand what globalization really meant for them. Will, probably, be enough for another 70 years of peace. Assuming, of course, there are any surivors.

The negative downsides of globalization could've been prevented. The benefits of globalization have gone overwhelmingly to the uber wealthy of the world (along with the middle classes emerging in developing countries) at the expense of the poor and working class in Western Europe and the United States. Europe is especially hurt by the Euro and austerity measures.

While there are problems with the euro design - that, by itself, is a purely local European project, not much very global about it. In everything else you are simply wrong - as wrong as you can possibly be, if you try to be wrong. Rank-and-file Europeans and Americans have been the major beneficiaries of globalisation: and, of course, they will be the major losers in what is to come. I mean, of course, friends of America and Europe in the third world, like myself, will also be among the losers: we have bet on the wrong horse, and now will have to explain why we have been consorting with the enemy. So, yeah, I am frucked - but so are you.

Could you elaborate a bit on that? What he saying is the consensus view (new middle class in the developing world lifted out of poverty + growing inequality in the Western world, with the rich getting richer and the traditional working class getting marginalized). So just saying it is wrong leaves a big fat question mark.

It is, definitely, not a consensus view among economists - rather, a radical small minority view, most people believe to be nuts. I see no evidence of a dramatic increase in inequality in the Western world as a whole.
How do you arrive at this conclusion? Genuinely curious.

[ideology]
Mike67
United States

« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2016, 08:46:34 PM »

Yes and i'm all for it
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2016, 05:02:48 AM »

We're entering an era where 3rd way is being rejected. You can lose with a 3rd wayer or beat the right-wing populist with a progressive like Austria did.

derBellen is less left-wing than Blair.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2016, 10:22:15 AM »

derBellen is less left-wing than Blair.

Exactly. He is a mainstream academic neoliberal economist. Alas, this is now becoming "leftwing".
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies