Nevada potentially could recount
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:27:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Nevada potentially could recount
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Nevada potentially could recount  (Read 2258 times)
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 29, 2016, 10:21:22 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2016, 10:23:17 PM »

No wonder I feel like De La Fuente has such a charm, even though I disagree with most of his positions.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 07:35:14 AM »

Oh brother. 

What's next?  Is Darrell Castle going to request a recount in New Hampshire?
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 10:32:51 AM »

the more recounts, the better, imho
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2016, 10:45:45 AM »

It doesn’t change anything. The Trumpster will be prez. Another recount would only drive him nuts on twitter. LOL.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2016, 10:57:40 AM »

Looking forward to the members of the electoral college bringing an end to the recount nonsense on Dec. 19th.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2016, 11:01:34 AM »

It doesn’t change anything. The Trumpster will be prez. Another recount would only drive him nuts on twitter. LOL.

the important thing is to delegitimise the "results" as much as possible
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2016, 01:53:59 PM »

Recount rules should be changed.

Automatic recounts will still be held if the margin of victory by the winning candidate in the state falls below a certain percentage.

Otherwise, those requesting a recount have to put up $10,000,000.00, minimum, upfront, non-refundable.

Plus, if $10,000,000.00 will not cover the costs, any additional amounts required by the state will have to be paid by those requesting the recount upfront, non-refundable, before any recount begins.

Plus, anybody requesting a recount will have to have two qualified electors per precinct, with legally certified affidavits, requesting a recount, before a recount will begin.

This will cut down drastically on frivolous recounts such as those demanded in 2016.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2016, 02:04:39 PM »

Automatic recounts will still be held if the margin of victory by the winning candidate in the state falls below a certain percentage.

Otherwise, those requesting a recount have to put up $10,000,000.00, minimum, upfront, non-refundable.

Plus, if $10,000,000.00 will not cover the costs, any additional amounts required by the state will have to be paid by those requesting the recount upfront, non-refundable, before any recount begins.

Plus, anybody requesting a recount will have to have two qualified electors per precinct, with legally certified affidavits, requesting a recount, before a recount will begin.

This will cut down drastically on frivolous recounts such as those demanded in 2016.
putting even more money into the political process sure sounds like a good idea
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2016, 02:15:04 PM »

Don't put "results" in square quotes.  You want to delegitimize actual, legitimate election results.  Call it what it is.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2016, 02:41:26 PM »

But this is not public money being put up for recounts.  This is private money, money from those promoting the recount and their donors.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2016, 02:46:28 PM »

Don't put "results" in square quotes.  You want to delegitimize actual, legitimate election results.  Call it what it is.

nah

But this is not public money being put up for recounts.  This is private money, money from those promoting the recount and their donors.

exactly. private money in the political process is A Problem.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2016, 02:50:31 PM »

But do you not think that if they have to put up front non-refundable high fees for a recount that they would be more unlikely to ask for a recount?
EnglishPete

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2016, 02:56:42 PM »

nah
I'm sure Trump will be delighted with delegitimising the "results" that show that Hillary Clinton won the popular vote. Remember he's the one disputing the results, not Clinton.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2016, 03:17:17 PM »

But do you not think that if they have to put up front non-refundable high fees for a recount that they would be more unlikely to ask for a recount?

yes? i don't see why that should be a goal though

Don't put "results" in square quotes.  You want to delegitimize actual, legitimate election results.  Call it what it is.

nah
I'm sure Trump will be delighted with delegitimising the "results" that show that Hillary Clinton won the popular vote. Remember he's the one disputing the results, not Clinton.

i was under the impression that clinton was the only one of the two actually involved in a recount process
Liberalrocks
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2016, 05:38:17 PM »

Higgs

Political Matrix
E: 6.14, S: -4.17

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2016, 07:19:23 PM »

Right out of the dictator playbook, oh the irony.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2016, 07:33:38 PM »

Something tells me Little Donny won't be too unhappy about a recount in a state that he lost. States that he "lost" were clearly just rigged by Lyin' Crooked $h*tlery.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2016, 10:43:22 AM »

What’s the use of it expect dividing the country up even further? Whether he won the PV or not, the Trumpster will be prez. With all its powers. I don’t like it, but it’s a fact.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2016, 10:44:37 AM »

What’s the use of it expect dividing the country up even further? Whether he won the PV or not, the Trumpster will be prez. With all its powers. I don’t like it, but it’s a fact.
a divided country is better than a unified fascist country Tongue
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2016, 11:54:47 AM »

I really cannot take seriously anyone who was worried about Trump not recognizing the election result beforehand (like me!) and now thinks recounts are a good way to "delegitimize the results", implying that is appropriate. So disappointed in some people here.

Some or many of Trump's policies may be bad and should totally be questioned, but he won the election fair and square.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2016, 02:20:50 PM »

I really cannot take seriously anyone who was worried about Trump not recognizing the election result beforehand (like me!) and now thinks recounts are a good way to "delegitimize the results", implying that is appropriate. So disappointed in some people here.

Some or many of Trump's policies may be bad and should totally be questioned, but he won the election fair and square.
fascist opposition to a democratic government and opposition to a fascist regime are two morally entirely different things so
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2016, 10:18:50 PM »

nah

OK, so a while back, I left a debate with you frustrated, because I felt you have a frequent tendency to do hit-and-run argumentation where you assert a strong opinion, and then refuse to actually justify it in detail when someone calls you on the logic.  Basically, you seem more interested in expressing opinions than defending them.  You thought this was an unfair read of the situation, and I conceded I might have been reading too much into the interchange.

From the last few exchanges I've seen you in, I'm starting to think you were BSing me.  But here's a chance to prove me wrong:

How are these results not legitimate election results?  And, if they are, are you conceding that you're OK with being disingenuous about the legitimacy of a democratic elections because it politically damages someone you think is dangerous?
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2016, 04:03:08 AM »
« Edited: December 03, 2016, 04:06:33 AM by TheDeadFlagBlues »

Since evergreen doesn't want to engage, I will: I don't post on Bad Atlas very often but I lurk and I find this new take of yours to be very irritating because it's totally disingenuous. Considering that Trump is a fascist who has shown little regard for the Constitution, human rights and racial minorities, is it really a mystery that Democrats would want to delegitimize his election?

I'm not sure what "logic" or "reason" would dictate here. Am I supposed to say "ah yes, democracy worked as intended because the interests of the public were made clear at the ballot box,"? The public voted against me in a very personal manner and also voted for a scumbag who is a threat to democracy, liberalism, freedom, tolerance etc. This is what Trump hath wrought and he could mend these attitudes but you cannot run a campaign like he ran over the past two years and expect anyone to respect him. He has destroyed democratic mechanisms which were already crumbling and there's no turning back now. The Rubicon has been crossed and the goal is to resist this Fascist.

To be blunt, no, I don't particularly care whether or not the public legitimately or illegitimately elected a fascist to be President of the United States. Intellectually, the outcome appears to be legitimate to me but my reaction would be the same: do everything in my power to ensure that Trump fails and fails miserably in his quest to plunder, loot and pillage from the American people, and in his quest to turn America into a disturbing Apartheid state. "Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice".
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2016, 04:32:21 AM »

nah

OK, so a while back, I left a debate with you frustrated, because I felt you have a frequent tendency to do hit-and-run argumentation where you assert a strong opinion, and then refuse to actually justify it in detail when someone calls you on the logic.  Basically, you seem more interested in expressing opinions than defending them.  You thought this was an unfair read of the situation, and I conceded I might have been reading too much into the interchange.

From the last few exchanges I've seen you in, I'm starting to think you were BSing me.  But here's a chance to prove me wrong:

How are these results not legitimate election results?  And, if they are, are you conceding that you're OK with being disingenuous about the legitimacy of a democratic elections because it politically damages someone you think is dangerous?

both, actually. i strongly believe the election results were tampered with (both quasi-legally by the surge in voter-disenfranchisement laws and more shadily), but even if they weren't, a presidency that fundamentally violates the principles of civilisation and humanity cannot be legitimised (delegitimising one election < allowing the permanent delegitimisation of america as a whole)

this article summarizes some good reasons for the latter:
Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

can continue this argument when i get home if you want
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies