Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
February 22, 2017, 02:57:04 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Cast your Ballot in the 2016 Mock Election

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
| |-+  U.S. Presidential Election Results
| | |-+  2016 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderators: TexasGurl, True Federalist, Torie)
| | | |-+  Two Counties Gave HRC her ENTIRE PV Plurality
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Two Counties Gave HRC her ENTIRE PV Plurality  (Read 2989 times)
Make Pepe Apolitical Again
Nathan
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2016, 10:59:54 pm »
Ignore

The Republican attacks on people who live in urban areas are disgusting.
the democrats were rioting and beating up people for voting trump you side isnt Innocent either.

'No you' is the oldest and most craven way of avoiding moral self-reflection in the book.

Professor Nathan. A shameless agrarian collectivist with no respect for private property or individual rights. Can you really trust him?

Yeah that's right, I said Siam. Why don't you go tell Pedro Martinez
Future President JustinTimeCuber
JustinTimeCuber
United States

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2016, 09:17:50 pm »
Ignore

Hypothetically if a republican candidate got 90% of the vote in the southern states and won the popular vote but lost all the other states should that person be president?  I don't think so.
No, he should. My opinions on how elections work don't change when the parties flip.

Bernie Sanders is my favorite major politician right now. I'm a center-left progressive from St. Louis, MO.
elcorazon
YaBB God

P
View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2016, 12:09:38 pm »
Ignore

Hypothetically if a republican candidate got 90% of the vote in the southern states and won the popular vote but lost all the other states should that person be president?  I don't think so.
No, he should. My opinions on how elections work don't change when the parties flip.
And part of the justification for this is that in the case you site, the person would need significant minority support in the rest of the country to win the popular vote. My only fear in that regard is a 3 person race skewing it even further.

"The most important thing to remember is, no matter what anybody tells you, it is never, ever unpatriotic or un-American to question anything in a democracy"
Figueira
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2016, 12:19:16 pm »
Ignore

And part of the justification for this is that in the case you site, the person would need significant minority support in the rest of the country to win the popular vote. My only fear in that regard is a 3 person race skewing it even further.

Exactly. You don't get 90% of the Southern vote unless (a) you're winning lots of minorities, or (b) there's some serious vote suppression going on.

Note: I am not actually British.

AMA IL TUO PRESIDENTE!
Antonio V
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2017, 09:10:01 am »
Ignore

So?

Our numbers are dwindling. Our words are confused.
Some of them have been twisted by the enemy
until they can no longer be recognized.

Now what is wrong, or false, in what we have said?
Just some parts, or everything?
On whom can we still rely? Are we survivors, cast
away by the current? Will we be left behind,
no longer understanding anyone and being understood by no one?
Must we rely on luck?

This is what you ask. Expect
no answer but your own.

Bertolt Brecht
Goldwater
Republitarian
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2017, 12:35:41 pm »
Ignore

I have to wonder what reactions some people here would have if Trump won the popular vote and lost the EV.

The result of a neocon and libertarian having a baby while drunk, and leaving it to be raised by hippie liberal wolves.
Here is my attempt and explaining my own confusing and contradictory views
AMA IL TUO PRESIDENTE!
Antonio V
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2017, 01:12:04 pm »
Ignore

I have to wonder what reactions some people here would have if Trump won the popular vote and lost the EV.

Well, it would have made up for 2000.

Our numbers are dwindling. Our words are confused.
Some of them have been twisted by the enemy
until they can no longer be recognized.

Now what is wrong, or false, in what we have said?
Just some parts, or everything?
On whom can we still rely? Are we survivors, cast
away by the current? Will we be left behind,
no longer understanding anyone and being understood by no one?
Must we rely on luck?

This is what you ask. Expect
no answer but your own.

Bertolt Brecht
Invisible Obama
DrScholl
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2017, 01:25:57 pm »
Ignore

Had Trump won the popular vote, yet lost the electoral college, Republicans would have not have been okay with that scenario and probably would have found a way to give Trump the presidency anyway.

But if we are going to talk about counties, you have to acknowledge that only four counties gave Trump his electoral college win. If you eliminate Livingston County in Michigan, Waukesha County in Wisconsin, Washington County and Westmoreland County in Pennsylvania, then Hillary Clinton won the electoral college.

LOCK TRUMP UP!
Nichlemn
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2017, 04:15:45 am »
Ignore

The idea that the EC serves to "protect" rural areas against big cities doesn't really hold water. It slightly exaggerates the voting power of smaller states, which are usually more rural, but its main effect by far is to massively increase the voting power of people in swing states. Rural Texans or Kansans have much less influence than urban Denverites or Philadelphians.

Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2017, 03:57:52 pm »
Ignore

The idea that the EC serves to "protect" rural areas against big cities doesn't really hold water. It slightly exaggerates the voting power of smaller states, which are usually more rural, but its main effect by far is to massively increase the voting power of people in swing states. Rural Texans or Kansans have much less influence than urban Denverites or Philadelphians.

The argument that it prevents small states from being neglected is pretty bogus also: the candidates spend plenty of time and money campaigning in NH, but almost none in WY, ND, or SD.

ExtremeRepublican
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2017, 02:48:07 pm »
Ignore

The argument that it prevents small states from being neglected is pretty bogus also: the candidates spend plenty of time and money campaigning in NH, but almost none in WY, ND, or SD.

Not really accurate.  What it does is make states matter in the first place, since we are a collection of 50 distinct states.  If the EC were proportional (without the two EV bonus to every state), Wyoming would have 1/436 (or 0.23%) of the votes.  Instead, it has 3/538 (or 0.56%) of the votes, more than double the power it would otherwise have.  The EC works to protect our federalist system.

Anti-libertarian, anti-populist conservative Republican

REPEAL THE 16th AMENDMENT!!

Watch Ben Shapiro destroy pro-transgender and pro-abortion arguments: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtuqmThPE5c

Political Matrix Score:
Economic: +9.81
Social: +9.04

Political Compass Score:
Economic: +9.9 Right (+0.1)
Libertarian/Authoritarian: +2.8 Authoritarian (-0.9)
Foreign Policy: +6.8 Neo-Con (-0.5)
Cultural: +8.7 Conservative (+0.9)

The filibuster-proof majority is coming in 2018, l
Figueira
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 13, 2017, 04:16:56 pm »
Ignore

Not really accurate.  What it does is make states matter in the first place, since we are a collection of 50 distinct states.  If the EC were proportional (without the two EV bonus to every state), Wyoming would have 1/436 (or 0.23%) of the votes.  Instead, it has 3/538 (or 0.56%) of the votes, more than double the power it would otherwise have.  The EC works to protect our federalist system.

But individual people in Wyoming have zero power.

Note: I am not actually British.

Fmr. Pres. Griffin
Adam Griffin
YaBB God
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.74, S: -7.30

P
View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2017, 02:44:20 pm »
Ignore

Zero Counties Gave Trump his ENTIRE PV Plurality, Because He Didn't Win the PV and Is Therefore an Illegitimate President

To some extent, Griffin was in many ways elected as a War time President because he was viewed, not as the guy you want a beer with, but the guy you would go to a bar fight with.

AKCreative
Nyvin
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 27, 2017, 09:23:32 am »
Ignore

Counties are just subjective boundary lines drawn more than a hundred years ago.    They don't have any real significance in terms of elections other than Republicans doing their regular spewing of "WE WON MORE COUNTIES, WE HAVE THE BIGGER EPEEN!!!"
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout