Romney sold out
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:38:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Romney sold out
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Romney sold out  (Read 2038 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2016, 09:30:59 PM »

You cannot put him into the category with Lindsey Graham and others who were against Donald Trump before they were for Donald Trump.

Huh?  Graham was never for Trump.  He was one of four of Trump's rivals for the nomination (along with Bush, Kasich, and Pataki) to never endorse him.  On election day, he tweeted that he voted for Evan McMullin:

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/11/lindsey-graham-votes-for-evan-mcmullin-230954
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2016, 08:54:47 AM »

mea culpa!  I guess I had a brain fart, or I was confusing Graham with some other Republicans in congress.  Let's call it an aleppo moment.  Smiley

Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2016, 05:37:49 PM »

In your personal life, if your friend "Bob" (just a name) starts trash-talking someone and disclosing them as untrustworthy or a liar who does bad stuff, and continues to say all sorts of ugly things about this other person, but then that person offered Bob a high-paying job and Bob accepted, what would you think of Bob then?

If he truly believed all the bad stuff he was saying about the other guy, why would Bob want to have anything to do with the other guy? How could he live with himself?

But then if Bob was just trash-talking the other guy for a "non" reason, how can you then trust Bob to tell the truth at any other time?

To be fair, Romney hasn't been offered the position of SOS yet and he hasn't accepted a job in the Trump administration, but the fact that he said he would like to work for Trump is enough. Damage is done, IMO.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2016, 05:48:21 PM »

In your personal life, if your friend "Bob" (just a name) starts trash-talking someone and disclosing them as untrustworthy or a liar who does bad stuff, and continues to say all sorts of ugly things about this other person, but then that person offered Bob a high-paying job and Bob accepted, what would you think of Bob then?

If he truly believed all the bad stuff he was saying about the other guy, why would Bob want to have anything to do with the other guy? How could he live with himself?

But then if Bob was just trash-talking the other guy for a "non" reason, how can you then trust Bob to tell the truth at any other time?

To be fair, Romney hasn't been offered the position of SOS yet and he hasn't accepted a job in the Trump administration, but the fact that he said he would like to work for Trump is enough. Damage is done, IMO.

It tells me that he cares more about getting his policy positions made into law than he does carrying on a pointless grudge that could do nothing to make what he wants to happen happen. If you were an activist against McDonalds for being an all around shady company that uses non-free range chickens and they offered to make you VP in charge of chicken management wouldn't you take it? Sure, you still don't like the company and how they do things but at least you'd be able to do your part to make it at least somewhat better for the chickens.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2016, 06:10:18 PM »

It tells me that he cares more about getting his policy positions made into law than he does carrying on a pointless grudge that could do nothing to make what he wants to happen happen. If you were an activist against McDonalds for being an all around shady company that uses non-free range chickens and they offered to make you VP in charge of chicken management wouldn't you take it? Sure, you still don't like the company and how they do things but at least you'd be able to do your part to make it at least somewhat better for the chickens.

I think that assumes more power than the Secretary of State actually has - and also assumes that Trump will actually listen to Romney instead of  just keeping him as a trophy.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2016, 06:48:58 PM »

I think that assumes more power than the Secretary of State actually has - and also assumes that Trump will actually listen to Romney instead of  just keeping him as a trophy.

That's a possibility. That meeting could have been Romney scoping out Trump and his intentions just as much as the other way around.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2016, 08:12:55 PM »

People are assuming a lot about Romney without knowing what he's really thinking about Trump, working in his administration, his motivations for possibly accepting a job in it, or anything else. If he truly believes those things he said about Trump during the campaign -- which were pretty much true, by the way -- then I wouldn't call that holding a "pointless" grudge. It's calling a pig a pig.

And no I wouldn't work for anyone for any amount of money who I thought was all those things Romney described Trump as being. You have to live with yourself above all else, and to me that involves personal integrity, personal honor, and doing what you think is the right thing to do.

There are many other ways one can work to help the McDonald's chickens of the world without compromising your integrity by working for a company you basically hate.

Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies