Deer Lodge County, Montana
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:17:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Deer Lodge County, Montana
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Deer Lodge County, Montana  (Read 1169 times)
AtorBoltox

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 30, 2016, 06:56:26 AM »

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=45974.50
While perusing this thread about the longest county streaks in US elections, I saw that Deer Lodge County, Montana has voted for the Democratic candidate in every election since 1924. I assumed at first that it was a native american county, but according to Wikipedia it is 93% white. Does anyone here have any knowledge why this rural, overwhelmingly white county is so loyal to the Democrats?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 11:33:38 AM »

Ah Deer Lodge. Mh parents' best friends, and neighbors in Encino, CA, Max and Lael, both grew up in Deer Lodge. They had two sons, who were the same age as my older brother and younger brother, so they all were also fast friends, so we often celebrated holidays together. The father of Max had a cannery plant operation there, and the father of Lael owned the local grocery store. Max used to go hunting with Mike Mansfield, when he was a professor at the University of Montana (where Max went to school). Mansfield of course went on to bemuse Senate Majority leader, and one of its very best, I might add.
Angrie

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 11:46:50 AM »

Anaconda is a historic mining town, set up by the Anaconda company in the 19th century. It is similar to nearby Butte MT, and has a long labor history.

Also:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The really interesting question is why the historic mining/labor areas in places like Montana have not gone the same way, at least to the same extent, as the historic mining/labor areas in places like Appalachia.

?
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 12:01:04 PM »

"Deer Lodge County" is one of the most Republican-sounding county names I've ever heard.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 05:27:34 PM »

Anaconda is a historic mining town, set up by the Anaconda company in the 19th century. It is similar to nearby Butte MT, and has a long labor history.

Also:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The really interesting question is why the historic mining/labor areas in places like Montana have not gone the same way, at least to the same extent, as the historic mining/labor areas in places like Appalachia.

?

King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2016, 08:22:51 PM »

Montana (and northeastern Minnesota) somewhat resemble Canadian mining areas politically.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies