Does Trump deserve a chance?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:54:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Does Trump deserve a chance?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Does Trump deserve a chance?  (Read 898 times)
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 30, 2016, 02:04:44 PM »

What would happen if the Democrats vowed to do everything they could to make Trump fail as President?

What if they said that the single most important thing they wanted to achieve is for President Trump to be a one-term president?

Do you think they should treat Trump like Obama has been treated by the GOP, or should the Dems take the high road and give Trump a chance?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 02:10:02 PM »

It is not the matter of "giving Trump a chance". There is no need to be obstructionist - if he proposes something non-controversial, it should be treated on merits. However, much of what he is likely to do is going to be the direct assault on liberty and democracy. The role of the opposition is to oppose this. If Dems do not do that, they will abdicate their direct responsibility.

In any case, Trump has a Republican majority in both chambers. Dems can´t really do much, except raise their voice whenever necessary.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 02:11:39 PM »

No. He already had his chance. He blew it. End of discussion.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 02:13:49 PM »

Everyone deserves as many chances as we can give. I think Trump can redeem himself as a Preseident, and I hope he will.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2016, 02:15:10 PM »

hell no. it's this kind of thinking that allows fascism to consolidate itself.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2016, 02:20:13 PM »

depends on the question ....chance to do what?

stop ryan and pence from ruining the social safety net of the country? ofc.

otherwise his election itself is the problem......bad role model.
EnglishPete

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2016, 02:44:36 PM »

Its not in the gift of the Democratic Party to give or not give him a chance. The Republicans will have the majority in the Senate, the House, SCOTUS and most state houses in the US. Of course the Democrats should oppose him, they're the opposition party at the moment its a very large part of their job to oppose. That doesn't stop Trump from being given a chance by the Republican Party (i.e. the Party that actually has the power to determine whether or not he should be given a chance).
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2016, 03:17:47 PM »

giving someone a "chance" isn't meant literally...more like: be open-minded about someone's work.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2016, 03:44:41 PM »

He doesn't deserve one, but he should probably be given one anyway to see if he can be different from what he campaigned as. The leash should be kept short, and the Dems should fight hard any attempt to implement his controversial ideas that a plurality of voters rejected.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2016, 04:19:31 PM »

He's had a lifetime. And he still looks like a stupid, ignorant, petty, self-absorbed, evil con-artist.

Obviously if he takes actions that I think will benefit the nation/public/world I'm not going to oppose them. And if he says the Sun rises in the south, I'm not going to move my plants to my north-facing windows.

I will oppose anything he does that doesn't fall under the above, because he has demonstrated himself to be a stupid, ignorant, narcissistic liar, and may very well be far, far worse.
FDRfan1985
Rookie

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2016, 04:51:00 PM »

Hell No!   The Democrats need to stop Donald Duckhead by any means, even if it means playing dirty.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2016, 05:18:18 PM »

It's not a case of deserving.

He has won the election, so he is off and running.

Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2016, 05:50:49 PM »

Of course he does. He'll almost certainly blow it, and blow it quickly, but I'm not going to down talk the man when he hasn't even taken office yet. It is counterproductive.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2016, 05:51:37 PM »

It is not the matter of "giving Trump a chance". There is no need to be obstructionist - if he proposes something non-controversial, it should be treated on merits. However, much of what he is likely to do is going to be the direct assault on liberty and democracy. The role of the opposition is to oppose this. If Dems do not do that, they will abdicate their direct responsibility.

In any case, Trump has a Republican majority in both chambers. Dems can´t really do much, except raise their voice whenever necessary.

It's open season on the budget, but Democrats can still block other things just like Republicans did even when Democrats had just shy of 60 votes in the Senate. As long as that cloture threshold remains, there won't be massive policy changes without Democratic approval.

However I agree with what you're saying. If he proposes something good, like an effective infrastructure plan (and not just wasteful tax incentives), I'm all for that. I don't want my party pulling some sleazy obstruct-everything strategy. If he tries to push massive tax breaks for the wealthy, changes to things like HAVA, or privatize [federal program], I fully support and demand that my party do whatever it can to block it.

But I will never respect this monster nor will I ever personally give him a chance. As far as I am concerned, he's just some sexual predator scam artist that I have to put up with for 4 years.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2016, 05:56:58 PM »

What would happen if the Democrats vowed to do everything they could to make Trump fail as President?

What if they said that the single most important thing they wanted to achieve is for President Trump to be a one-term president?

Do you think they should treat Trump like Obama has been treated by the GOP, or should the Dems take the high road and give Trump a chance?

What's all this about?  Of course the Democrats, the Republicans, and all the rest of us should support the president (when his ideas are good), and oppose him (when the ideas are bad.)  We should also wish for his success.  On the day after the day after the election, when President Obama met with Donald Trump, the President said, "I want to emphasize to you, Mr. President-elect, that we now are going to want to do everything we can to help you succeed because if you succeed, then the country succeeds."  I agree with President Obama. 
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2016, 06:21:33 PM »

What's all this about?  Of course the Democrats, the Republicans, and all the rest of us should support the president (when his ideas are good), and oppose him (when the ideas are bad.)  We should also wish for his success.  On the day after the day after the election, when President Obama met with Donald Trump, the President said, "I want to emphasize to you, Mr. President-elect, that we now are going to want to do everything we can to help you succeed because if you succeed, then the country succeeds."  I agree with President Obama. 

ah, that last bit is a dangerous conflation! what does he/do you/should we hope trump succeeds at? because succeeding at beďng a good president and succeeding at implementing his agenda, for example, are two very different things.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2016, 06:29:25 PM »

what does he/do you/should we hope trump succeeds at?

Tending the republic.  Guarding precious freedoms.  Executing the law in an unprejudiced manner.  Keeping us from war, poverty, strife, and hunger.  Leaving our nation better than he found it.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2016, 06:31:10 PM »

Tending the republic.  Guarding precious freedoms.  Executing the law in an unprejudiced manner.  Keeping us from war, poverty, strife, and hunger.

He has already failed at this by suggesting that citizenship be stripped for flag desecration. He and his cult have shown utter contempt for freedom of speech.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2016, 06:32:47 PM »

The moron doesn't deserve a chance. I look forward to his abject failure.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2016, 06:33:57 PM »

Tending the republic.  Guarding precious freedoms.  Executing the law in an unprejudiced manner.  Keeping us from war, poverty, strife, and hunger.  Leaving our nation better than he found it.

Well,  he has repeatedly said that he would mistreat the republic. Destroy freedoms. Use the law to play favorites.  Fight aginst peace, for the spread of poverty, promotion of strife and organization of famine. And that he would definitely insist on destroying the nation he has found.

I mean, what you would consider success he would consider a personal failure.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2016, 06:36:23 PM »

"Somebody will say 'Oh freedom of speech, freedom of speech'. These are foolish people".-President-elect Donald Trump.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2016, 08:37:59 PM »

giving someone a "chance" isn't meant literally...more like: be open-minded about someone's work.

Yes.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2016, 08:41:36 PM »

It's not a case of deserving.

He has won the election, so he is off and running.

Tell that to Obama.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies