Clinton 2016 got fewer raw votes than Kerry 2004 in 19 states (including NY!)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:25:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Clinton 2016 got fewer raw votes than Kerry 2004 in 19 states (including NY!)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Clinton 2016 got fewer raw votes than Kerry 2004 in 19 states (including NY!)  (Read 1870 times)
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 30, 2016, 08:52:26 PM »

PA, IA, WV, ME, RI, OH, VT, MN, TN, AR, MI, OK, ND, LA, MO, SD, WY, NY, KS

In all 19 of those states, Hillary Clinton (who got over 65 million votes nationally in an election where over 135 million votes were cast) got fewer votes than John Kerry (who got 59 million votes nationally in an election where 122 million votes were cast).

Hillary Clinton got the lowest vote total for a Democrat in West Virginia since women's suffrage, healthily underperforming Cox 1920's total. She got half the votes that John Kerry got there 12 years ago.

In many other states the decline is similarly staggering, including Clinton's adoptive homeland of Arkansas, where John Kerry got some 90,000 more votes than she did.

Again, this isn't a decline in percentage. This is a decline in raw count over an election 12 years ago over a candidate she got six million more votes than. In 19 states! John Kerry's total would have handily beat Trump in Wisconsin and Michigan and would've lost by a razor-thin margin in Pennsylvania.

We're not talking about some nostalgic hazy time when Democrats wore overalls and hardhats. This is wind-sailing, Portuguese heiress wife, French-speaking elitist flip-flopper John Kerry.

What the hell is wrong with this picture?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 05:20:24 PM »

Clinton was obviously was suppose to hold the 272 blue wall together: PA, Iowa, MI, WI, were suppose to vote Democratic.  However the Latino states CA, CO, NV, NM, IL, NY and NJ held together and strongly supported Hillary.

The endless problems of the emails did her in, in the Rust Belt where there isn't a heavy migrant of Latinos(except for ILLINOIS, my former state) did her in.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 06:57:58 PM »

I think her Arkansas performance is more embarrassing.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 07:32:14 PM »

Racial polarization after a black man has been the face of the Democratic party for eight years. The entire country is turning into Alabama. I posted about this pre-election and was mocked for it.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2016, 07:57:34 PM »

John Kerry's total would have handily beat Trump in Wisconsin and Michigan and would've lost by a razor-thin margin in Pennsylvania.

I don't see WI on this list.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2016, 11:18:03 PM »

John Kerry's total would have handily beat Trump in Wisconsin and Michigan and would've lost by a razor-thin margin in Pennsylvania.

I don't see WI on this list.

Oops, I must've forgotten to put it on.

Clinton 1,381,823
Kerry 1,489,504   

For fun for WI:

Trump: 1,404,000
Bush 04: 1,478,120
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2016, 11:41:11 PM »

Racial polarization after a black man has been the face of the Democratic party for eight years. The entire country is turning into Alabama. I posted about this pre-election and was mocked for it.

Except many of these states voted for Obama twice, and only demonstrated this marked racial polarization when a white woman ran.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2016, 12:33:16 AM »

Except many of these states voted for Obama twice, and only demonstrated this marked racial polarization when a white woman ran.
It should be pointed out Trayvon Martin, Michael Brown, Eric Gardner, BLM etc... all happened in his second term
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2016, 12:36:42 AM »

It should be pointed out Martin, Brown, Eric, BLM, Charlotte church shooting, and Dallas all happened in his second term
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2016, 12:59:19 AM »

It should be pointed out Martin, Brown, Eric, BLM, Charlotte church shooting, and Dallas all happened in his second term

Precisely. In 2008, he had been the face of his party for 6 months. In 2012, he'd been the face of his party for 4.5 years. By 2016, he'd been the face of his party for 8.5 years. During all 8 years you had a steady erosion of whites.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2016, 02:00:19 AM »

There were some bizarre turnout patterns in the Midwest/Northeast. Turnout was way up in Pennsylvania, especially in the rural counties, but neighboring rural counties in New York saw large crashes in total votes. The Ohio/Pennsylvania boundary also displayed a sharp discontinuity in that Ashtabula/Trumbull/Mahoning in OH were all down in total presidential vote by 4-5% from 2012 while Erie/Crawford/Mercer/Lawrence ub PA were all up by 3-6% from 2012, but if you then cross into NY, you're back to 4-5% turnout drops in Chautaugua/Erie/Cattaraugus in NY. The massive spike in PA turnout carries over into northern WV, northern NJ, MD, Long Island, and DE, while the OH drop/small increases carry over into MI, WI, MN, and southern WV.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2016, 10:32:25 AM »

Update: new votes in NY have pushed Clinton's vote total over Kerry's 04 vote total, so we can strike that one from the list.
hopper
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2016, 12:42:42 AM »

So Hillary couldn't win because of police shootings? I don't get it what does Black Men getting shot have to do with Hillary winning or(losing in this case) the 2016 Presidential Election? Remember Hillary rarely campaigned in 2 states that she lost(MI, and WI.) That's on her and her campaign team.
hopper
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2016, 12:53:37 AM »
« Edited: December 12, 2016, 12:56:40 AM by hopper »

Precisely. In 2008, he had been the face of his party for 6 months. In 2012, he'd been the face of his party for 4.5 years. By 2016, he'd been the face of his party for 8.5 years. During all 8 years you had a steady erosion of whites.
You have a point in your first 2 sentences because in the past 84 years of Politics a political party with exception of the Dems(1932-1952) and the Republicans(1980-1992) have not controlled the Presidency for more than 2 terms.

The % of the White Electorate has been going down 2% points as a share of the electorate since the 1970's. Its nothing new.
Make My Bank Account Great Again
KingCharles
Rookie
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2016, 01:00:49 AM »

So Hillary couldn't win because of police shootings? I don't get it what does Black Men getting shot have to do with Hillary winning or(losing in this case) the 2016 Presidential Election? Remember Hillary rarely campaigned in 2 states that she lost(MI, and WI.) That's on her and her campaign team.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe that she even stepped foot in Wisconsin. There were campaign events in Wisconsin but I don't believe any of them featured her being there in person.

It's unbelievable really. Michael Moore of all people was sounding the alarm bells over OH, PA, WI, and MI since July.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2016, 01:12:48 AM »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe that she even stepped foot in Wisconsin. There were campaign events in Wisconsin but I don't believe any of them featured her being there in person.

It's unbelievable really. Michael Moore of all people was sounding the alarm bells over OH, PA, WI, and MI since July.

0 visits since the convention to Wisconsin. 1 to Michigan. Schumer said that Hillary could write off working class voters in Pennsylvania, Ohio, and Wisconsin, and make them up with Republicans. And he got a promotion after the election.
Make My Bank Account Great Again
KingCharles
Rookie
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2016, 01:28:49 AM »

0 visits since the convention to Wisconsin. 1 to Michigan. Schumer said that Hillary could write off working class voters in Pennsylvania, Ohio, and Wisconsin, and make them up with Republicans. And he got a promotion after the election.

I remember his quote. Something about for every working class voter we lose in rural Pennsylvania we'll gain two voters in the suburbs/cities of Pittsburg and Philly.

He did make the correct diagnosis after the election though. He stated that Trump's trade message and getting to the left of Hillary on this issue helped him win these states. That may not be saying much; but it's a considerably better assessment than what many high ranking Democrats have been saying. They're too busy blaming her loss on the voters, racism, and sexism.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies