Did the NBA affected the NC 2016 Gubernatorial race?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:56:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Did the NBA affected the NC 2016 Gubernatorial race?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Did the NBA affected the NC 2016 Gubernatorial race?  (Read 434 times)
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 01, 2016, 12:17:53 AM »

I know HB2 was a huge factor in the North Carolina Governors race, but I think what might have really set McCrory's now near ending fate was the NBA All Star Game being relocated from Charlotte was the one that did set this race up. My question here is that was that it or was there more to that?
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 12:50:07 AM »

For all the talk of "Dems focus too much on social issues", McCrory would almost certainly have been re-elected had HB2 never been signed.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 02:15:48 AM »

Never underestimate the importance of basketball in NC.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 05:56:43 AM »

For all the talk of "Dems focus too much on social issues", McCrory would almost certainly have been re-elected had HB2 never been signed.

I think he would've won by a small razor thin margin if HB2 was signed or not. I think the NBA relocating the All Star Game was the final nail in his job. A lot of Charlotte business community rallied to stop McCory after that.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 09:56:59 AM »

I think he would've won by a small razor thin margin if HB2 was signed or not. I think the NBA relocating the All Star Game was the final nail in his job. A lot of Charlotte business community rallied to stop McCory after that.
HB2, while a social issue, had a significant financial impact. (Let's not forget the funding that was to be pulled by the Department of Education.) Sinilarly, in a non-wave year, we likely would have seen Gregg come out on top in Indiana. RFRA, another social issue, was disastrous for businesses.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2016, 10:48:53 AM »

Never underestimate the importance of basketball in NC.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies