Is Trump's re-election inevitable?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:07:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Is Trump's re-election inevitable?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: skip
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 110

Author Topic: Is Trump's re-election inevitable?  (Read 3805 times)
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2016, 05:57:35 PM »

Yes, especially if his opponent is the Goofy Loon elizabeth warren.

She's a very popular politician. So no.

If the opponent is Kanye West or someone boring like Martin O'Malley then he'll get a 2nd term.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2016, 06:26:24 PM »

If the opponent is Kanye West or someone boring like Martin O'Malley then he'll get a 2nd term.

You know she only beat Scotty doesn't know Brown by a few points, right? Who is the nasty woman popular with outside of her Massachusetts and California base?
Pennsylvania Deplorable

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2016, 06:40:37 PM »

I wouldn't say it's inevitable, but it's probable. So long as he sticks to his most basic promises, he can satisfy his core supporters (by deporting criminal aliens, keeping what's left of manufacturing in the country, and at least starting construction of the wall) and conservatives (by appointing justices similar to Scalia, repealing Obamacare, and cutting taxes/regulation). With a republican congress, this should all be possible, even though many of them are controlled by the business lobbyists who love importing cheap labor, legally or otherwise. Trump's personality flaws are huge, but the initial shock value of things like the Access Hollywood tapes will be long gone in four years and people will vote based on his record. If he does a good job, plenty of normally republican and republican leaning voters who didn't vote in 2016 (especially suburban white women) will join his coalition.

Of course, there's always the possibility that he governs as a neocon, betraying his base and irritating everybody who doesn't participate in Fox News round-tables. If that happens, anybody could beat him, including a challenge from within the GOP.
Former Senator Haslam2020
Haslam2020
United States

« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2016, 09:14:38 PM »

Trump has been aligning himself with the neocons... Bush 2.0.... mixed with Reagan, but the Trump wing and the Bush wing will forever battle into the 2030s.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2016, 09:31:43 PM »

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2016, 10:37:23 PM »

I wouldn't say it's inevitable, but it's probable. So long as he sticks to his most basic promises, he can satisfy his core supporters (by deporting criminal aliens, keeping what's left of manufacturing in the country, and at least starting construction of the wall) and conservatives (by appointing justices similar to Scalia, repealing Obamacare, and cutting taxes/regulation). With a republican congress, this should all be possible, even though many of them are controlled by the business lobbyists who love importing cheap labor, legally or otherwise. Trump's personality flaws are huge, but the initial shock value of things like the Access Hollywood tapes will be long gone in four years and people will vote based on his record. If he does a good job, plenty of normally republican and republican leaning voters who didn't vote in 2016 (especially suburban white women) will join his coalition.

Of course, there's always the possibility that he governs as a neocon, betraying his base and irritating everybody who doesn't participate in Fox News round-tables. If that happens, anybody could beat him, including a challenge from within the GOP.
Big problem with your point many in the rust belt voted for him who hate him personally on the premise he will bring back there jobs if he just saves over returning jobs he could easily loss Penn, Wis, and Mich. in 2020 even with the base back
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2016, 10:37:33 PM »

You know she only beat Scotty doesn't know Brown by a few points, right? Who is the nasty woman popular with outside of her Massachusetts and California base?

I distinctly remember you insisting in 2012 that Brown would win reelection.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2016, 10:43:02 PM »

Come on, this is Atlas.  Since when has being proven wrong caused people to cease and desist from making confident predictions and asserting them as fact? Tongue
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2016, 10:50:51 PM »

I think it's more likely than many would handicap it at, but otherwise I agree with this:

the answer is the same as 'is hillary inevitable in 2016?'
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2016, 10:51:11 PM »

Senator S. Brown did win re-election in 2012. Tongue
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2016, 12:10:32 AM »

That might very well be true. I know I learned from my mistake in believing in any such failures of 2012. Now we have the Greatness of Trump to take the fight to the enemy.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2016, 09:56:57 AM »

That might very well be true. I know I learned from my mistake in believing in any such failures of 2012. Now we have the Greatness of Trump to take the fight to the enemy.

Unless this is ironic, the Personality Cult has begun to emerge before President Trump is inaugurated. Anyone who opposes or even falls short of the requisite enthusiasm of support will be a damnable enemy.

We have not had a President like Trump  when the government had anything near the assets and power that the Presidency now has. I have no cause to believe that he has the temperament or training to be adequate in foreign policy, economic stewardship, or political advocacy. He has shown himself competent only in appealing to the greediest and least learned but angry segments of the electorate. One satisfies the greediest with mass suffering in economics for everyone else and the  angry buffoons with pulling others down to their levels of economic failure.

We have over 200 years of heritage of resistance to any baby steps toward despotism.  To be sure, democracy can die anywhere, but there will be much resistance.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2016, 12:30:40 PM »

Unless this is ironic, the Personality Cult has begun to emerge before President Obama is inaugurated. Anyone who opposes or even falls short of the requisite enthusiasm of support will be a damnable enemy.

We have not had a President like Obama  when the government had anything near the assets and power that the Presidency now has. I have no cause to believe that he has the temperament or training to be adequate in foreign policy, economic stewardship, or political advocacy. He has shown himself competent only in appealing to the greediest and least learned but angry segments of the electorate. One satisfies the greediest with mass suffering in economics for everyone else and the  angry buffoons with pulling others down to their levels of economic failure.

We have over 200 years of heritage of resistance to any baby steps toward despotism.  To be sure, democracy can die anywhere, but there will be much resistance.

This would be interesting except for the fact that it is Hillary Clinton who claimed Republicans are the Enemy, and it was Barry who created those pen and phone powers.

Live and die by the sword.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2016, 12:32:38 PM »

Lolwut?! 
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2016, 01:12:33 PM »

Yea.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2016, 01:17:32 PM »

Wait, is this thread for real? LOL.
TC 25
Rookie
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2016, 01:33:56 PM »

Probably adds MN, NH and NV to his column.  Outside chance at CO, ME and VA

Favored to win with somewhere between 320-345 EVs.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2016, 02:38:34 PM »

As just learned this year, "inevitable" should be purged by both sides
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2016, 01:25:44 AM »

Not knowing the state of the economy in four years, we really can't say.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2016, 03:59:32 AM »

Unless this is ironic, the Personality Cult has begun to emerge before President Obama is inaugurated. Anyone who opposes or even falls short of the requisite enthusiasm of support will be a damnable enemy.

We have not had a President like Obama  when the government had anything near the assets and power that the Presidency now has. I have no cause to believe that he has the temperament or training to be adequate in foreign policy, economic stewardship, or political advocacy. He has shown himself competent only in appealing to the greediest and least learned but angry segments of the electorate. One satisfies the greediest with mass suffering in economics for everyone else and the  angry buffoons with pulling others down to their levels of economic failure.

This would be interesting except for the fact that it is Hillary Clinton who claimed Republicans are the Enemy, and it was Barry who created those pen and phone powers.

You have a very Leninist view of right and wrong sometimes.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2016, 11:10:52 AM »

All Presidents are unique, and so are their times. But like most others,  Barack Obama had a voting record and a record of public service. He got frequently-harsh scrutiny from the media. His temperament was obvious to all of us, and it was tame enough.

I'm not going to make too much of his ethnicity as a difference. He was a very conventional choice. He had an agenda, and what you saw was a reasonable indication of what you were going to get.

Donald Trump? Experience only in the private sector. Schooling? Definitely no law degree.

Not since at least George Wallace (if by major one means getting any electoral votes or getting 10% of the popular vote) has any major Presidential nominee so resorted to dog-whistle racism. Calling for violence and imprisonment of opponents?

If I were in the position to offer someone a job involving some complexity of thought I would expect to occasionally hear some complexity in communicating some reality in life. Few complex jobs can be expressed entirely with canned phrases at an elementary-school level of thought. What is necessary for an assembly-line worker (arguably the simpler the mind the better) is very different from what I would expect in a foreman.

For analogues to Donald Trump I must look outside the American experience, and the analogues scare me. Short fuse? Vindictiveness? Use of language that can mean just about anything to anyone depending upon the concerns of that person?  Utter disregard of the validity of the concerns of people on the Other Side? Admiration of tyrants?

A more conventional conservative, let us say Jeb Bush, wouldn't be so troublesome.

I expect that once people start demonstrating against his policies he will start faulting those people for disloyalty to America. After all, loyalty to the Leader is the definitive loyalty to the nation, is it not?

Sure -- in a dictatorship. We Americans are familiar with dictatorships -- but elsewhere.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2016, 03:55:44 PM »

All Presidents are unique, and so are their times. But like most others,  Barack Obama had a voting record and a record of public service. He got frequently-harsh scrutiny from the media. His temperament was obvious to all of us, and it was tame enough.

I'm not going to make too much of his ethnicity as a difference. He was a very conventional choice. He had an agenda, and what you saw was a reasonable indication of what you were going to get.

A more conventional conservative, let us say Jeb Bush, wouldn't be so troublesome.

I expect that once people start demonstrating against his policies he will start faulting those people for disloyalty to America. After all, loyalty to the Leader is the definitive loyalty to the nation, is it not?

Sure -- in a dictatorship. We Americans are familiar with dictatorships -- but elsewhere.

I clipped the tantrum.

For the record, though, this is what you used to say about, uh, conventional conservatives.

5. Mitt Romney was a poor candidate for President -- and such was not known to begin with. He ran on his business success, but that implies that what he does to succeed is relevant. His business success was heavily the raiding of assets from cash-rich but troubled companies. The cash disappeared, and the companies stripped of cash became quick failures. People who might have seen him as a possible solution to a fiscal mess found his managerial style inappropriate for government. Businesses can fire at will, but governments cannot 'fire' voters. He showed himself a flagrant narcissist. Even the "dog on the roof" had to scare some people. If he could take a dog across country on the roof of a car, what could he do to people?

If the white liberals had voted for Romney instead of calling him a flagrant narcissist, they would not have Trump.

If the white liberals had not taunted and encouraged Trump into running,  they would not have Trump.

If the white liberals had not removed the filibuster, they might have it now to use against Trump. Someone tell that to Chris Coons!

Everyone gets what they deserve, right?
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2016, 04:27:51 PM »

Whether  Trump is Carter 1980 or Reagan 1984 depends on how he actually does as President. He hasn't even been sworn in yet.

After we see what, exactly, four years of Trump is like, then we can have this discussion.
Cynthia
ueutyi
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -3.63

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2016, 07:06:25 PM »

I hope he thinks him getting reelected is inevitable, refuses to campaign, and gives Sherrod nod on ENight
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2016, 04:56:18 PM »

Dems are best off nominating Tim Ryan for president, its a redistricting year and he comes from Ohio, the most important state of the election. They have to go with the most electable.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies