Websites like Redraw the states?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 12:14:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Websites like Redraw the states?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Websites like Redraw the states?  (Read 797 times)
sentinel
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 01, 2016, 04:23:03 PM »

Do ya'll know of any websites similar to this one where you can redraw the states in a political setting?

http://kevinhayeswilson.com/redraw/

I find it fun so I'm interested in what else is out there.

(also posted in What-Ifs, but I figured I'd ask you guys too)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 07:15:26 PM »

That was kind of fun, even though most of the counties take a magnifying glass to see.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 07:26:09 PM »

Here's what I whipped out.  Everything is contingent, plus I merged Delaware (useless state) with Maryland and the Dakotas (which everyone knows would never settle their differences without fighting).

sentinel
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 09:17:17 AM »

@Scott - I was enjoying messing around with it too but yeah those smaller counties are impossible to hit. Nice move on getting rid of Delaware, FTW
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2016, 02:50:44 AM »

This is really addicting.  I probably wasted a good five hours making maps yesterday.  Here are some of my favorites:

1. A "Take No Prisoners" Republican gerrymander

2. A "Take No Prisoners" Democratic gerrymander (Warning: not for the faint of heart)

3. Clinton's presidential prospects are saved by her worst states:

4. #BattlegroundUtah
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2016, 05:51:39 AM »

If one of the mods wants to move this thread to Political Geography and Demographics, I'll merge it with the thread on that board.
sentinel
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2016, 11:42:25 AM »

If one of the mods wants to move this thread to Political Geography and Demographics, I'll merge it with the thread on that board.

Negative, don't. I posted it here in case people who don't look at the other board happen to know. It's a question for the community as a whole.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2016, 07:46:27 AM »

Negative, don't. I posted it here in case people who don't look at the other board happen to know. It's a question for the community as a whole.

In that case a link to the topic on the other board would be better, and the content should move. All the boards are for the community, this board is for topics about the forum community.
sentinel
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2016, 01:00:01 PM »

In that case a link to the topic on the other board would be better, and the content should move. All the boards are for the community, this board is for topics about the forum community.

What? I posted it here because I wanted a broad audience for a broad question. Had you not replied it could have died and everyone would be happier.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2016, 02:06:25 PM »

What? I posted it here because I wanted a broad audience for a broad question. Had you not replied it could have died and everyone would be happier.

I replied because I didn't want the content to die, but to merge it with the other thread. That way everyone is sharing their map ideas with this tool in one place.
sentinel
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2016, 02:22:09 PM »

I replied because I didn't want the content to die, but to merge it with the other thread. That way everyone is sharing their map ideas with this tool in one place.

Dude, I already commented in the other thread before you replied. Plus, this post is not about sharing map ideas, this post is asking if there is other tools out there which are similar.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2016, 06:49:04 PM »

Dude, I already commented in the other thread before you replied. Plus, this post is not about sharing map ideas, this post is asking if there is other tools out there which are similar.

I understand the OP, but I saw that the thread was being used to post map ideas. That's when I responded. Also, the Political Geography board is where most of the discussion on mapping tools is posted (eg. Daves Redistricting App, QGIS). The posters who frequent that board are more likely to answer your question.
sentinel
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2016, 12:08:26 PM »

The political geography board is essentially dead and mostly devoted to an extremely in-depth and limited-interest discussion of one retiree's attempts to redistrict a small city in the Northeastern US, so I think that Sentinel is much better off posting this here. I would not have seen it for months if it had been left in the topology ghetto.

Sentinel: I recommend getting a student copy of Tableau. You can get a one year license if you have a school email address. It's not quite as easy as using a ready-to-go application like the Redraw the States tool, but if you want to quickly create custom county or zip code-level maps and calculate results and demographics for new areas it's probably one of the easiest options. (And it is also a widely used data visualization tool with many other potential applications.)

Why thank you!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies