GOP Wants to Repeal Obamacare NOW, and Replace Later....Much Later
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 05:32:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  GOP Wants to Repeal Obamacare NOW, and Replace Later....Much Later
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: GOP Wants to Repeal Obamacare NOW, and Replace Later....Much Later  (Read 1063 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 02, 2016, 12:59:49 AM »

GOP may delay Obamacare replacement for years:
Republicans are setting up a high-stakes deadline to replace the health care law.

By RACHAEL BADE and BURGESS EVERETT
12/01/16 05:10 AM EST

You must be logged in to read this quote.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 07:04:00 PM »

So, no health care for anyone!
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 07:12:21 PM »

I wonder what happens if Democrats play their game of chicken and millions lose healthcare right before the 2020 presidential election under a Republican incumbent president. Though absent Republicans propping up the market during that time, I imagine it's going to go to sh**t before then anyway. 3 years from now the only ones who are going to get blamed for the aftereffects of this are Republicans and Trump.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 07:54:10 PM »

I'm skeptical that the Ted Cruz/Tea Party types will vote for a bill that keeps Obamacare in place for 3 years, but I'll take it if Trump can pull it off.

They'll most likely never think of anything new and just renew it in 2020 and afterward. Or else they'll make a tweak here and there and spin it as a repeal.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 09:14:13 PM »

I wonder what happens if Democrats play their game of chicken and millions lose healthcare right before the 2020 presidential election under a Republican incumbent president. Though absent Republicans propping up the market during that time, I imagine it's going to go to sh**t before then anyway. 3 years from now the only ones who are going to get blamed for the aftereffects of this are Republicans and Trump.

Republicans will be objectively to blame but half the country will hold Democrats responsible for not voting for the Republican's eventual replacement plan.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2016, 04:59:15 AM »

President Trump must stop this as he said during an interview.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2016, 07:21:43 AM »

Either they repeal right now or they don't. It's their only occasion. If they wait for 3 years it won't be possible anymore.

I truly wonder if it is not an attempt made by them not to repeal it in the end.
wolfsblood07
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2016, 08:37:37 PM »

Health care for everyone that wants it and can pay for it.  No coverage for pre-existing conditions, that's not how insurance works.  No single payer public option.  You want it, go out and buy it in the free market.
If a person is is in the military, or is a disabled veteran, then of course full coverage.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2016, 08:49:03 PM »

Health care for everyone that wants it and can pay for it.  No coverage for pre-existing conditions, that's not how insurance works.  No single payer public option.  You want it, go out and buy it in the free market.
If a person is is in the military, or is a disabled veteran, then of course full coverage.

Yeah, to hell with the poor!  If they get sick and die, why should I care?
wolfsblood07
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2016, 09:20:54 PM »

There will always be some form of health care for the poor.  Free clinics, emergency rooms and whatnot.  Of course, the rich will have more and better options.  Such is life.
By the way, forcing companies to cover pre-existing conditions is like trying to get a life insurance policy for a person who died yesterday.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2016, 09:24:51 PM »

susan collins fights back....

BREAKING: Susan Collins not a fan of "upending" Medicare; says she wants ACA replacement before repeal
https://twitter.com/CollinsWatch/status/804878649493258240?lang=de
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2016, 09:33:44 PM »

There will always be some form of health care for the poor.  Free clinics, emergency rooms and whatnot.  Of course, the rich will have more and better options.  Such is life.
By the way, forcing companies to cover pre-existing conditions is like trying to get a life insurance policy for a person who died yesterday.

Drink bleach.

Or, alternatively, get cancer.  I hope your insurance fails in the event.
wolfsblood07
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2016, 09:51:44 PM »

Drink bleach.

Nice.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2016, 10:30:43 PM »

Drink bleach.

Why bother responding to this cretin, who said he would "probably" vote to repeal the 19th Amendment if it came up for a vote?
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2016, 10:56:56 PM »

Drink bleach.

Why bother responding to this cretin, who said he would "probably" vote to repeal the 19th Amendment if it came up for a vote?

Oh yeah, I forgot about that episode.

Classy guy.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2016, 10:54:15 AM »

susan collins fights back....

BREAKING: Susan Collins not a fan of "upending" Medicare; says she wants ACA replacement before repeal
https://twitter.com/CollinsWatch/status/804878649493258240?lang=de

I imagine Murko and a few others get on board here. They barely got the reconciliation bill passed last time and that was with 54 Senators
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2016, 05:28:03 AM »

wolfsblood; do you know anyone that has a pre-existing medical condition?  If you did I'm pretty sure that your opinion would be totally different.

I have something that I'm pretty sure counts as a pre-existing medical condition although I've never had to deal with medical insurance so I don't know for certain; although not exactly a serious one (I have asthma; not something that's life threatening or anything) but if I didn't have access to my inhalers it'd be a huge harm to my quality of life: before I got diagnosed I had attacks that affected me for up to a week at a time, while with my inhalers I've never had one anywhere near that bad.  By allowing private companies to deny coverage or charging exorbitant additional fees for treatment you are basically condemning people to misery and maybe worse for reasons that are often no fault of their own.

Also its not "life" that the rich and poor should have different treatment - while yes we have private healthcare and there are inequalities between the quality of care between wealthy and poor areas in the NHS the former is a small, small fraction of overall care and even most people that could afford it stick to the NHS (unless you could cut the queue for something very urgent, although lots of private procedures are reliant on NHS facilities so that isn't even always possible) and although the latter is a big problem that needs to be improved, its still a hell of a lot better than lots of people have in America in terms of availability and quality; and second to none in terms of cost.  Its not just an NHS thing; every other developed western country has a healthcare system that is better on almost every metric than the American system, yet apparently your reaction is to move even further away from the models that are clearly working much, much better.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2016, 09:23:44 AM »

The Freedom Caucus is pushing back against the GOP leaders' timeline, and wants Obamacare repealed and replaced by the coming Congress (i.e. within one or two years).

Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2016, 10:15:29 AM »

Just a thought: Imagine the GOP sends a repeal bill without replacement to the White House in early 2017 and the Trumpster vetoes.

Nevertheless, even if there is a replacement, it won’t be worth the paper it’s written on.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2016, 10:30:31 AM »

The Freedom Caucus is pushing back against the GOP leaders' timeline, and wants Obamacare repealed and replaced by the coming Congress (i.e. within one or two years).

That awkward moment when the FC aligns with Susan Collins
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2016, 03:27:32 PM »

Republicans are playing with fire here. Many of the people making less than 30k who switched to vote for Trump are tremendously helped by Obamacare. Taking away their healthcare just before the 2020 election would not be a good idea. This is especially true in the Medicaid expansion states, and the great lakes swing states, with the exception of Wisconsin, have all expanded. Even a nominal swing among these people along with other demographics staying the same equals Trump losing re-election.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies