Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:47:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Huh
Merry Christmas

Happy Holidays

other (explain)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 77

Author Topic: Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays?  (Read 3234 times)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2016, 11:47:22 PM »

Well, saying Merry Christmas offends fewer people it seems, so I guess it's now the politically correct option Cheesy
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2016, 02:47:12 PM »

I refuse to say happy holidays.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2016, 06:54:23 AM »

I'll say either one, mostly depending on what someone says to me. I don't really care if someone says either of those or Happy Hanukkah or whatever. I appreciate the thought and don't give it any thought afterwards.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2016, 02:07:35 PM »

Same here. If I'm talking to someone who isn't Christian, I'll gladly say "Happy ____" for whatever holiday they celebrate, but never the general statement. It's just too generic as to have no meaning. If I'm not sure what to say, I'll go with something like "Have a nice break!".
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2016, 06:37:29 PM »

Well, you're just unhappy.  If you show up in Pennsylvania during the five-week period that is the Happy Holidays you'll have a drink on me, and you can hold me to that.  Be of good cheer.

🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2016, 07:03:06 PM »

I don't think I've ever heard somebody say Happy Holidays in my life
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2016, 07:32:00 PM »

I've heard it once or twice. It's just easier to say Merry Christmas, or when appropriate (like at a Jewish gathering of some sort), Happy Hanukkah. I think most people who care about this issue one way or the other (the War on Christmas types and the super SJWs) basically are looking for a reason to be offended. Christmas, Hanukkah, etc, are mostly secular holidays and what spiritual aspects they hold are individual matters that people don't talk about. At least in South Florida. I can talk politics with anyone, no matter interested they are in the subject. Literally nobody ever wants to talk about religion, and fortunately, neither do I most of the time.

In Vero Beach, they had "Merry Christmas" banners on the lightpoles around the town. My mom asked my aunt if it offended the Jewish community. "Nah, she's cool with it" was my uncle's response. It was pretty funny. I don't think I've heard it, but at least in Boynton, where I'm from, the local banners that the city puts up always say "Holidays." Doesn't really matter. It means the same things. It's why atheists love the phrase "God Bless You" because it means, in it's literal reading, "the highest possible."

Tis the season for present, annoying "ironic" sweater pics on social media, sand tacky parties. Nobody gives a crap about their Starbucks cup.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2016, 09:00:37 PM »
« Edited: December 04, 2016, 09:10:47 PM by angus »

Never in your life?  Jesus H. Christ.  Don't you people have holidays over there?  I suppose you do, but they aren't meant to be happy.  Stiff upper lip.  Keep calm and carry on and all that.

Well, you really need to let loose.  Have a happy holiday, old top.  There, now you have heard it.  Or at least read it.  Try to enjoy yourself.  Here's a piano cover of Gym Class Heroes' stereo hearts.  If that doesn't put you in the holiday spirit, nothing will.  Well, except maybe a strong drink.  If you ever make to the other side of the atlantic ocean, I'll buy you a drink too.  Hang in there.  Just two more weeks, then we can just relax and have a happy holiday.  

buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2016, 09:20:19 PM »

blue avatars: merry christmas
red avatars: happy holidays
tallguy23
United States

« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2016, 02:29:08 AM »

I genuinely don't care and loath those who make a big deal of it (on either side).

It's the epitome of a first world problem.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2016, 03:50:40 PM »

Tend to go with Happy Holidays, except on Christmas Day (when I tend to go with Merry Christmas). I don't personally celebrate Christmas, but I'm not offended by others doing so (wtf) or opposed to the use of Merry Christmas; it just seems weird to use that phrase when it isn't Christmas. I only wish people Happy Birthday on the day of their birthday, also.

Voted Happy Holidays, since I say that much more often and it feels much more natural.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2016, 03:56:41 PM »

It's amusing to me that wishing someone well in a certain way is considered offensive. I usually say "Happy Holidays", since many of my acquaintances don't celebrate Christmas, but I wouldn't be offended if someone said "Merry Christmas" to me, and the outrage over being wished "Happy Holidays" is completely unnecessary. Last I checked, Christmas is, in fact, a holiday.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2016, 03:57:33 PM »

Both
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2016, 06:29:20 PM »

I know its controversial, but this is hardly an issue I even get upset about. I do not believe in the "War on Christmas".

I usually say Happy Holidays unless 1) It is Christmas or very close to it 2) it is another holiday or 3) I know what specific holiday that person celebrates.

I do not understand all the fuss here.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2016, 08:22:48 PM »

Does it even matter?!?! Can't we all just ignore how it's said, and realize that both ways of saying it means the same thing?! I'm just trying to wish you a good time this month!
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2016, 09:37:34 PM »

Does it even matter?!?! Can't we all just ignore how it's said, and realize that both ways of saying it means the same thing?! I'm just trying to wish you a good time this month!

Well, if it's said a bad way, I'm gonna have a bad time this month.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2016, 09:43:57 PM »

Idgaf. If you know me you'll know to say Happy Hannukah. If you don't, I'll say Merry Christmas back. Someone is wishing you a happy time during a holiday season. If you get offended by that, take the broomstick out of your ass.
Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -7.74

« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2016, 10:00:20 PM »

"Merry Christmas" is probably the most tolerant/most anti/Christian, as the sayer is likely referring to the stripped-down, secular, commercialized "holiday" erected by the West as a substitute for real religion. I'll stick to "Happy Holidays," thank you very much!
Cathcpn is correct of course. But I personally dont say either unless someone says it to me first.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2016, 03:36:33 PM »

Definitely "merry Christmas." I don't think I've ever said "happy holidays" before, although I would if I knew it was someone's preference. Getting offended by either phrase is pathetic.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2016, 06:15:23 PM »

"Merry Christmas" to a Christian/s.
"Happy Holidays" to a mixed crowd.
The fact that it's an issue is ridiculous.
Mike67
United States

« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2016, 10:19:12 PM »

Merry Christmas
Happy Hanukkah
Happy Kwanzaa
Happy Festivus
Joyous Saturnalia
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2016, 11:27:38 PM »

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays. Christmas is almost universal and can be celebrated secularly and say a damn happy holidays to those who might be celebrating something else. Stop getting so butthurt about it.
Higgs

Political Matrix
E: 6.14, S: -4.17

« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2016, 12:14:09 AM »
« Edited: December 14, 2016, 12:55:41 PM by Higgs »

Merry Christmas, it's celebrated in one way or another by virtually everyone in America, and saying happy holidays is just a cuck move.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2016, 12:16:52 AM »

Merry Christmas, it's celebrated in way it another by virtually everyone in America, and saying happy holidays is just a cuck move.

You LITERALLY have a lower social score than me, and you're running around saying "cuck"? You aren't fooling anyone.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2016, 09:03:05 AM »

Merry Christmas, it's celebrated in way it another by virtually everyone in America, and saying happy holidays is just a cuck move.

You LITERALLY have a lower social score than me, and you're running around saying "cuck"? You aren't fooling anyone.

Unfortunately not everyone is for imposing their views on others yet, but hopefully the anger continues to build.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies