Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:09:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Huh
Merry Christmas

Happy Holidays

other (explain)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 77

Author Topic: Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays?  (Read 3247 times)
angus
Atlas Icon
« on: December 02, 2016, 12:48:15 PM »

In my Greek Orthodox church we use the 25th.  I"m surprised there's a Greek church there using the 7th of January.  Now the Serbian and Russian Orthodox churches are still using the 7th and I never expect that to change.

The Greek's do follow the old calendar for Easter though.

It might be Russians I'm thinking of.  Believe it or not, I'm the faculty advisor to the local chapter of the Orthodox Christian Fellowship.  (Yeah, I'm not sure why they asked an irreligious person who has no ties to the orthodox church and who can't read a word of Greek to be their sponsor;  I'm just too cool I guess.)

I do have a Greek colleague who recently became a US citizen.  She helps us read the maps in the Odyssey, which my son was reading last year.  But maybe I was confusing her custom with OCF.  I know somebody celebrates it later because I always get emails about that.

Anyway, I like Christmas, but I like all the holidays, mainly because they're holidays.  Good excuse to drink too much, eat too much, love too much, and spend too much.  Smiley

Happy Holidays!
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 06:37:29 PM »

Well, you're just unhappy.  If you show up in Pennsylvania during the five-week period that is the Happy Holidays you'll have a drink on me, and you can hold me to that.  Be of good cheer.

angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 09:00:37 PM »
« Edited: December 04, 2016, 09:10:47 PM by angus »

I don't think I've ever heard somebody say Happy Holidays in my life

Never in your life?  Jesus H. Christ.  Don't you people have holidays over there?  I suppose you do, but they aren't meant to be happy.  Stiff upper lip.  Keep calm and carry on and all that.

Well, you really need to let loose.  Have a happy holiday, old top.  There, now you have heard it.  Or at least read it.  Try to enjoy yourself.  Here's a piano cover of Gym Class Heroes' stereo hearts.  If that doesn't put you in the holiday spirit, nothing will.  Well, except maybe a strong drink.  If you ever make to the other side of the atlantic ocean, I'll buy you a drink too.  Hang in there.  Just two more weeks, then we can just relax and have a happy holiday.  

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies