Confirmation Hearing: ILikeVerin (Forum Affairs)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:12:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Confirmation Hearing: ILikeVerin (Forum Affairs)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Confirmation Hearing: ILikeVerin (Forum Affairs)  (Read 2657 times)
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2005, 12:41:53 PM »

I would like to petition for extending this debate and question time 48 more hours if Colin's question is not answered above.
A note to the Senate: the petition must be seconded by at least one other Senator to be valid.
MHS2002

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 1.57

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2005, 01:42:39 PM »

I would like to petition for extending this debate and question time 48 more hours if Colin's question is not answered above.

I second provided Colin's question is not answered.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2005, 01:47:41 PM »

I third it. I would like my question answered by Mr. Ilikeverin.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2005, 01:51:50 PM »

Do you believe that a commission should investigate the possibility of changing our current voting system to something other than preferential voting? Do you believe that this commission should also investigate the possibility of a secret ballot?

I'm neutral about any commissions.  As far as the secret ballot, I don't believe a commission is needed; there are only two choices, so it would make sense if there was a simple up-or-down vote in the Senate.  Sure, there might need to be some wrangling about the details, but I believe those details can be solved without use of a comission.  I would be more in favor of a commission investigating that change from preferential voting, as the options in that case are much more open ended.  I think I commission would be excellent for analysing all sies of the argument.  However, I have concerns about the make-up of such a commission; would you want a representative from each side?  From each party?  Or just pick random officials?

It might be better if this is put to a public poll.  However, I trust our Senate to do what is best for Atlasia.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2005, 04:38:27 PM »

All time for debate has expired. The question is on confirming ILikeVerin as Secretary of Forum Affairs.

All those in favor, say Aye; those opposed, say No.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2005, 04:41:49 PM »

That's "Aye" and "Nay" there Emsworth, "Aye" and "Nay". Cheesy

Aye
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2005, 04:47:28 PM »

No.

No hard feelings, Verin.  You are just underqualified in my opinion.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2005, 05:25:18 PM »

Nay.

I do not feel that ilikeverin is qualified for this position.

As King said, no hard feelings, though I understand that might be difficult.  Smiley
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2005, 06:36:30 PM »

My vote will be an Aye but I will not be here to cast it.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2005, 06:45:26 PM »

Nay

I have nothing against you Verin it is just that I think their has been shown that you do not have enough experience required for such a job. I also disagree with you on several key forum affairs issues. It is because of these things that I am unable to vote in the affirmative on this nomination.
MHS2002

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2005, 08:24:43 PM »

Aye. I trust ILV to get the job done.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2005, 08:39:28 PM »

3-3. Assuming that Gabu and FuturePrez are absent, the deciding votes belong to DanielX and PBrunsel.
MHS2002

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2005, 08:41:08 PM »

3-3. Assuming that Gabu and FuturePrez are absent, the deciding votes belong to DanielX and PBrunsel.

I think Gabu said he was abstaining on every vote during his leave of absence.
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2005, 09:10:56 PM »

Aye. I don't like Verin that much, but he seems qualified enough.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2005, 09:51:39 PM »

Aye
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2005, 10:14:55 PM »
« Edited: July 17, 2005, 10:18:37 PM by Emsworth »

With five Ayes and three Noes, ILikeVerin is hereby confirmed as Secretary of Forum Affairs. (Gabu is assumed to have abstained.)

Senators who have not yet voted may still do so for the record.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2005, 10:22:32 PM »

While I disagree with my colleagues and their decision, I trust that their vote was cast not on the grounds of making their re-election bid easier, moving the process along to get to their agenda, or strengthing a friendship bond, but on a desire to make one of, if not the most important offices stronger and more efficient.  

I hope we do not look back on this in three months time as a mistake and I wish Verin the best of luck as Secretary of Forum Affairs.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2005, 03:43:43 AM »

While I disagree with my colleagues and their decision, I trust that their vote was cast not on the grounds of making their re-election bid easier, moving the process along to get to their agenda, or strengthing a friendship bond, but on a desire to make one of, if not the most important offices stronger and more efficient. 

I hope we do not look back on this in three months time as a mistake and I wish Verin the best of luck as Secretary of Forum Affairs.

Meh.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2005, 03:49:26 AM »

Meh.

While I will certainly say that Ilikeverin's performance in the last election was... less than stellar, to put it lightly, it is nonetheless the case, given that Ilikeverin has done his last election and that he probably will be replaced in the new administration, that attacking him further on the matter is not likely to help things.  He already knows that a lot of people strongly disapprove of his performance.  He won't be getting a second chance to do it and we won't be getting a second chance to do the election with someone else.  We just have to go with what we've got, at this point.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies