Dear Exit Polls, Trump didn't improve among Latinos.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:58:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Dear Exit Polls, Trump didn't improve among Latinos.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Dear Exit Polls, Trump didn't improve among Latinos.  (Read 603 times)
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 17, 2016, 11:38:49 PM »

As we should all know by now, exit polls can produce atrocious results (see Gore winning GA in 2000 or Kerry winning Ohio in 2004). However, what many people are overlooking is...

The African American vote? No, but were unfairly suppressed and are not the main topic.

The Asian American vote? Not quite. However, they likely had the same issues.

The Shy Trump vote? No. Republican voters just simply came home and non-educated Whites caught on to his message.

The Latino American vote? About time. Let's explore what exit polls got wrong this year on the Latino vote.

a. Only one poll
b. Small handful of selected precincts
c. Obvious Latino swings towards Hillary throughout states like Texas
d. The exit poll isn't designed to capture sub-populations like Latinos or African Americans
e. Even more

Links:
-http://www.latinodecisions.com/blog/2016/11/10/lies-damn-lies-and-exit-polls/
-https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/wp/2016/11/15/why-the-exit-polls-are-wrong-on-latino-votes/?utm_term=.272ba61067d0

Let the discussion begin.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2016, 11:55:59 PM »
« Edited: December 17, 2016, 11:59:41 PM by Intell »

As we should all know by now, exit polls can produce atrocious results (see Gore winning GA in 2000 or Kerry winning Ohio in 2004). However, what many people are overlooking is...

The African American vote? No, but were unfairly suppressed and are not the main topic.

The Asian American vote? Not quite. However, they likely had the same issues.

The Shy Trump vote? No. Republican voters just simply came home and non-educated Whites caught on to his message.

The Latino American vote? About time. Let's explore what exit polls got wrong this year on the Latino vote.

a. Only one poll
b. Small handful of selected precincts
c. Obvious Latino swings towards Hillary throughout states like Texas
d. The exit poll isn't designed to capture sub-populations like Latinos or African Americans
e. Even more

Links:
-https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/wp/2016/11/15/why-the-exit-polls-are-wrong-on-latino-votes/?utm_term=.272ba61067d0

A lot of uneducated Hispanic communities, had lower turnout, and shifted towards trump, as did a lot of Hispanics that have integrated into America.

Other words, the exit polls weren't wrong, stop buying yourself to propaganda.

Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2016, 12:15:58 AM »

People should know better than to question the exit polls.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2016, 12:45:16 AM »

I don't recall the exit polls being that far off in 2004.  I think the early exit poll returns were in some states, but that can be explained by different voters voting after work.  But I agree with the overall point you're making that it's doubtful that Trump improved among hispanics or other minorities and his win in the electoral college/narrow loss in the popular vote was the result of uneducated whites jumping to him in droves.  Not sure about typical Republicans coming home though, as he struggled in suburbs that have always tended to vote Republican.

Hm. That's what I saw somewhere on Atlas (probably unreliable) about Kerry winning Ohio. I'll probably edit.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2016, 12:48:54 AM »

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/education-not-income-predicted-who-would-vote-for-trump/

This article shows that, less educated Latinos, which there are more of, in minority majority counties shifted republican.
hopper
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2016, 12:53:39 AM »

Links:

I get Latino Polling is a hot debate topic but African-Americans have been voting at a 90% rate for Dems for 5 decades now.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2016, 02:52:40 AM »

Exit polls showed that among both Latinos and non-whites as a whole, non-college graduates were slightly more Democratic than college graduates. It's within the margin of error. Not sure how it stacks up compared to 2012 since we don't have that data (or 2008 even, I don't think), but I find it hard to believe that there were huge swings among non-white, non-college graduates to Trump.

I also think that the exit polls - perfectly capable of being off by as much as the difference between 2012 & 2016 Latino numbers - are slightly underestimating Latino support for Clinton this cycle. With that being said, I believe there was a slight shift to Trump, but in all likelihood, it was motivated by a surge in previously-apathetic college-educated Latinos who are second and third generation Americans, who insist that "people need to come into this country legally" (even though a good number of them wouldn't be here if that had always the case). If you live in an area with a fairly prominent and/or established Latino community, then you know exactly the type I'm talking about here.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies