Unemployment Rate Drops to 4.6%
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 12:01:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Unemployment Rate Drops to 4.6%
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Unemployment Rate Drops to 4.6%  (Read 1824 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 02, 2016, 12:20:29 PM »

Technically, we are now at full employment, further strengthening the case for a rate increase:

Solid Job Growth Strengthens Prospect for a Fed Rate Increase

By PATRICIA COHEN
DEC. 2, 2016

You must be logged in to read this quote.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 12:37:45 PM »

Isn't it 3.0%? But the range is 3-5%, so functionally yes.

Maybe wage growth will grow with the tightening job market but I'm curious if that will happen, given the pressure on wages. My guess is that wage growth will remain weak for the next couple of years. But I could be wrong.

ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 01:00:05 PM »

Maybe wage growth will grow with the tightening job market but I'm curious if that will happen, given the pressure on wages. My guess is that wage growth will remain weak for the next couple of years. But I could be wrong.

Well, remember, that as soon as the wage growth picks up, the Fed will hike the rates to make sure that rise is dampened.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 02:01:34 PM »

Well, remember, that as soon as the wage growth picks up, the Fed will hike the rates to make sure that rise is dampened.

Yeah, given inflationary fears, that's right. I had not factored that in. They are looking at December rate hike.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 03:20:41 PM »

And you had to vote for Donald Trump. Trump's plans will (hundreds of economists back me up) skyrocket the debt, cause a trade war and cost millions of jobs. Republicans, your racism and sexism blinded you to facts.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2016, 06:55:19 PM »

And you had to vote for Donald Trump. Trump's plans will (hundreds of economists back me up) skyrocket the debt, cause a trade war and cost millions of jobs. Republicans, your racism and sexism blinded you to facts.

I mean, yeah, economically we all, everywhere, are going to be badly screwed. Because of that alone, aI am afraid, generations of people in the US and worldwide will be remembering 2016 as the last year ever they felt economic prosperity and  security. But, frankly, this may be the lesser of our troubles.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2016, 07:24:23 PM »

Which would be a very stupid thing for the fed to do.  Inflation basically isn't a thing any more.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2016, 09:22:25 PM »

I mean, yeah, economically we all, everywhere, are going to be badly screwed. Because of that alone, aI am afraid, generations of people in the US and worldwide will be remembering 2016 as the last year ever they felt economic prosperity and  security. But, frankly, this may be the lesser of our troubles.

Did you see Trump's tweets this morning about the 35% tariffs? I'm beginning to believe they become reality at some point during the first term…
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2016, 10:49:28 PM »

I mean, yeah, economically we all, everywhere, are going to be badly screwed. Because of that alone, aI am afraid, generations of people in the US and worldwide will be remembering 2016 as the last year ever they felt economic prosperity and  security. But, frankly, this may be the lesser of our troubles.

Did you see Trump's tweets this morning about the 35% tariffs? I'm beginning to believe they become reality at some point during the first term…

Very likely they will. And (net) millions of jobs in the US will be lost as a direct result. As, of course, will be millions of jobs everywhere else. The guy is hell-bent on making sure he screws everybody.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2016, 10:51:11 PM »

Which would be a very stupid thing for the fed to do.  Inflation basically isn't a thing any more.

And you want it to be?
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2016, 10:14:20 AM »

I mean, yeah, economically we all, everywhere, are going to be badly screwed. Because of that alone, aI am afraid, generations of people in the US and worldwide will be remembering 2016 as the last year ever they felt economic prosperity and  security. But, frankly, this may be the lesser of our troubles.

Very likely they will. And (net) millions of jobs in the US will be lost as a direct result. As, of course, will be millions of jobs everywhere else. The guy is hell-bent on making sure he screws everybody.

Agreed. I think that this also speeds up automation, as I think many factories will just simply try to automate jobs, rather than deal with the tariffs. It will be interesting.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2016, 10:32:38 AM »

Agreed. I think that this also speeds up automation, as I think many factories will just simply try to automate jobs, rather than deal with the tariffs. It will be interesting.

Well, he could also tax R&D and prohibit education. Would, of course, move those things abroad: but would also have very salutary effects for his own electoral prospects.
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2016, 01:08:01 PM »

Thank you, President Obama.  Thank you for doing all you did to get us to this point.  The poor man just never gets any credit for anything he did.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2016, 07:02:35 PM »

Thank you, President Obama.  Thank you for doing all you did to get us to this point.  The poor man just never gets any credit for anything he did.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies