Who Really Won the Election?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:16:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Who Really Won the Election?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Who Really Won the Election?  (Read 2534 times)
drm
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 02, 2016, 04:30:03 PM »

Well, looking at a raw vote comparison of the two leading presidential candidates, it appears that Hillary Clinton has a full 4% more votes nation-wide than Donald Trump at this time.  So who should be considered president-elect? 
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 04:34:15 PM »

Republicans will suffer for their sins.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 05:20:06 PM »

So who should be considered president-elect? 

The identity of the president elect will be known after December 19, but I think Donald Trump is probably a safe bet.

Welcome to the forum.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 05:20:38 PM »

clinton, obviously
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 06:23:06 PM »

Clinton *should* be president.  Trump *will* be.

There are a lot of neo-Nazi racists in America. This is the turning point for America to become a fascist state.  Good job to voters in Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin! Half of each of your state's populations are utterly uneducated morons.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2016, 07:06:33 PM »

Since I am a firm believer in PV and not EC, I believe Hillary Clinton is the true winner, but because of the electoral college system, Trump is president and we have to accept that.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2016, 07:10:32 PM »

Since I am a firm believer in PV and not EC, I believe Hillary Clinton is the true winner, but because of the electoral college system, Trump is president and we have to accept that.
if that were true, he wouldn't be attempting to block the recounts so aggressively ㄟ(ツ)ㄏ
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2016, 07:30:51 PM »
« Edited: December 02, 2016, 07:32:28 PM by Beet »

Trump won, but my faith in American democracy as a fair system is shattered. We've known for years that due to geographical concentration, gerrymandering, and the nature of the Senate, the system was rigged against cities at the state and Congressional levels. But at least we could look to the presidency as the one, fair Highest Office, where the winner reflected the popular vote.* Now we realize that we have no recourse-- literally none. There is no level of government that we can fairly compete for. This is a tremendous disappointment.

* Sure, there was 2000, but from Democrats' viewpoint, Gore should have been the winner in Florida, so the popular vote and electoral vote winners were the same. Also, the margin -- 500,000 -- was relatively small compared to 2.5-3 million. And the Electoral College margin was razor thin 271-266. The controversy was over the Florida count, and the courts handing it to Bush. And 1888 was so long ago -- the franchise hardly even existed in some parts of the country -- that it could be dismissed as another age.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2016, 07:48:03 PM »
« Edited: December 02, 2016, 07:54:27 PM by Castro »

Under the system we have for electing presidents, Trump won. The popular vote and other factors can be discussed in terms of their relation to mandates and strength of victories, but the only thing that matters for who won is the electoral college, which Trump won legitimately.
Cruzcrew
Paleocon
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2016, 07:52:41 PM »

Based on the system where the winner of the EC vote becomes president, Trump won the election.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2016, 07:54:47 PM »

Under the system we have for electing presidents, Trump won. The popular vote and other factors can be discussed in terms of their relation to mandates and strength of victories, but the only thing that matters for who won is the electoral collage, which Trump won legitimately.
except he didn't win wisconsin, michigan, pennsylvania or florida, and probably others
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2016, 08:04:34 PM »

Under the system we have for electing presidents, Trump won. The popular vote and other factors can be discussed in terms of their relation to mandates and strength of victories, but the only thing that matters for who won is the electoral collage, which Trump won legitimately.
except he didn't win wisconsin, michigan, pennsylvania or florida, and probably others

I'm definitely not one to defend Trump, but the confidence in our electoral systems is important and I do not believe the kind of fraud or hacking you may be implying was carried out or is even possible. That kind of baseless talk helps no one.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2016, 08:26:37 PM »

Not democracy, that's for sure.
Axel Foley
Rookie

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2016, 08:30:13 PM »
« Edited: December 02, 2016, 08:33:46 PM by Axel Foley »

I think I'm waiting for the Electoral College official vote tabulation, then I'll tell you.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2016, 08:47:02 PM »

Well, looking at a raw vote comparison of the two leading presidential candidates, it appears that Hillary Clinton has a full 4% more votes nation-wide than Donald Trump at this time.  So who should be considered president-elect? 

Uh, now let me see

Who is President Elect?  Who will be sworn in as President in January?
Who is Vice President Elect? Who will be sworn in as Vice President in January?
Who controls the U.S. Senate?
Who controls the U.S. House of Representatives?
Who controls appointments to the U.S. Supreme Court that will last for a generation?

I thought so.

Get the picture?  Is it clear now?  Any questions?

We won.

You lost.

Get over it.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2016, 08:52:50 PM »

I'm definitely not one to defend Trump, but the confidence in our electoral systems is important and I do not believe the kind of fraud or hacking you may be implying was carried out or is even possible. That kind of baseless talk helps no one.

nah
quite the opposite, in fact: given the vicious assaults on the democratic aspects of the american electoral system that the trumpists are about to escalate, sowing mistrust early is entirely necessary
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2016, 08:57:24 PM »

OK, you made the accusation that Trump did not win WI, MI, PA, FL.

Now prove it.
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2016, 09:17:54 PM »

Well it's because we don't have a democracy, we have a republic.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2016, 09:20:06 PM »

According to a reliable source, this forum, Clinton's lead in the PV over Trump is at this time 1.89%.
Fusionmunster

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2016, 09:21:35 PM »

Trump won unless proven otherwise. I know why he won, I don't blame anyone for voting for him. Time to move on and get ready for the NJ governor's race.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2016, 09:25:25 PM »

Trump won unless proven otherwise. I know why he won, I don't blame anyone for voting for him. Time to move on and get ready for the NJ governor's race.

Finally, a Democrat who recognizes that Trump won, and who realizes it is time to move on.
Fusionmunster

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2016, 09:28:11 PM »

Finally, a Democrat who recognizes that Trump won, and who realizes it is time to move on.

I'm currently in the acceptance stage of the 5 stages of grief. Smiley
Fusionmunster

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2016, 09:42:43 PM »

A pretty boring race though, isn't it... Tongue

Its gonna be Phil Murphy, but I'm gonna try and get it to not be Phil Murphy.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2016, 09:43:54 PM »

Sean T at RCP ‏@SeanTrende
House Republicans are just barely hanging on to their largest share of the popular vote in a presidential election since 1928.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2016, 09:44:42 PM »

Mr. Didntvote won in a landslide.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies