PA-Sen: Barletta is running
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:43:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  PA-Sen: Barletta is running
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: PA-Sen: Barletta is running  (Read 11549 times)
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 02, 2016, 05:00:11 PM »
« edited: August 25, 2017, 02:20:06 PM by Castro »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/capitolinq/US-Rep-Pat-Meehan-mulling-challenge-to-Sen-Bob-Casey-per-source.html
pikachu
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 07:08:01 PM »

Would be a strong candidate, but at the end of the day, I think that 2018 is going to be the wrong year for a Republican to run in a swing state if they actually want to win.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 08:26:50 PM »

Big mistake IMO. Not only does he probably lose to Casey, it puts his House seat under jepoardy.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 11:17:47 PM »

Meehan will not likely have a clean shot at winning the Republican primary. He won't have the conservative wing of the party wholeheartedly rooting for him. He's definitely a moderate Republican; his voting record will remind many Republicans of being just like Arlen Specter's.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2016, 02:40:47 AM »

He's not going to run, he wants too much to keep his safe gerrymandered seat.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2016, 02:52:05 AM »

It may not be safe for him in coming years, it was only R+1 before the election and Clinton outright won it last month.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2016, 02:56:15 AM »

solid gop pickup! there is no way that any Democrat can win a Pennsylvania Senate contest because Trump won it in 2016, and all states in 2016 voted the same party for president and senate!!!!!!

windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2016, 03:20:36 AM »

It may not be safe for him in coming years, it was only R+1 before the election and Clinton outright won it last month.
Yes but it is still heavily republican downballot I suppose.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2016, 12:28:44 AM »

Charlie Dent would be a better fit to take on Casey.
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2016, 12:31:24 AM »

He or Charlie dent would be the best gets for the senate race. I would wonder if Rick Santorum would be interested in a rematch as he has had his reputation somewhat recover since 2006 and the state has trended to the right
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2016, 12:35:33 AM »

He or Charlie dent would be the best gets for the senate race. I would wonder if Rick Santorum would be interested in a rematch as he has had his reputation somewhat recover since 2006 and the state has trended to the right
A majority of Pennsylvanians support gay marriage now.  He'd have to say "I oppose it as a traditionalist Catholic, but we need to move on from this ruling" in order to even have a chance at a political miracle, let alone an actual win.
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2016, 12:38:21 AM »

A majority of Pennsylvanians support gay marriage now.  He'd have to say "I oppose it as a traditionalist Catholic, but we need to move on from this ruling" in order to even have a chance at a political miracle, let alone an actual win.

Yes, which is why most republicans running in 2016 including Trump and Pence said that they would not change the ruling. In addition I think most people now view him as a social conservative who ran for president rather than as the hardcore anti-gay senator
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2016, 03:10:27 AM »

Frankly, Charlie Dent isn't a significant improvement on Bob Casey.  I would rather lower our odds of winning slightly (I don't think it even would in a state with a pro-life tradition and a nominally pro-life Democratic candidate) for a chance at a real conservative.  It doesn't have to be a Freedom Caucus type, but it does have to be a solid conservative.  Why not Costello or Fitzpatrick?
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2016, 03:24:17 AM »

Meehan would be a good candidate, I think. I agree that Dent would prob be better. What do you guys think of Ryan Costello? I heard he was interested in Governor but he could be an interesting senate choice as well.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2016, 03:58:58 AM »

It looks like after Bayh, Republicans aren't going to be cowed by the famous name anymore.

There is also another thing working against Casey. He attacked Santorum for breaking his term limit pledge and running for a third term. Granted, I don't think Casey explicitly made such a pledge, but he has been there twelve years and I would presume based on Trumps win in the state that there is much dissatisfaction, precisely among the working class voters that were Casey's base.

All that said, Meehan might very well not be the best candidate to take advantage of that.

I would like to see Jim Gerlach make a comeback. He is a seasoned campaigner who survived both 2006 and 2008 in a Kerry district.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2016, 12:57:05 PM »

Frankly, Charlie Dent isn't a significant improvement on Bob Casey.  I would rather lower our odds of winning slightly (I don't think it even would in a state with a pro-life tradition and a nominally pro-life Democratic candidate) for a chance at a real conservative.  It doesn't have to be a Freedom Caucus type, but it does have to be a solid conservative.  Why not Costello or Fitzpatrick?

I don't see big difference between Dent and Costello, except on abortion issue (where i, naturally, prefer pro-choice position)
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2016, 03:47:38 PM »

I don't see big difference between Dent and Costello, except on abortion issue (where i, naturally, prefer pro-choice position)
Costello is probably one of the twenty-five most moderate Republicans in the House, whereas Dent is probably in the top three(along with Ileana Ros-Lehtinehen and Richard Hanna).
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2016, 04:22:54 PM »

Costello is probably one of the twenty-five most moderate Republicans in the House, whereas Dent is probably in the top three(along with Ileana Ros-Lehtinehen and Richard Hanna).

Dold has to be more liberal than IRL, as does Freilinghuysen.  I know Dold is retiring.  In my opinion, if one is not pro-life, they are not a Republican or a conservative.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2016, 04:25:40 PM »

Dold has to be more liberal than IRL, as does Freilinghuysen.  I know Dold is retiring.  In my opinion, if one is not pro-life, they are not a Republican or a conservative.

Dold lost re-election. That's not retiring. Retiring is leaving of your own free will.

And, I'm sorry, but how someone feels about Abortion does not dictate how they feel about other political issues.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2016, 04:38:36 PM »

Wolf and Bob Casey should win by around 5-7 points, no need to worry.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2016, 05:06:13 PM »

After this last election, I would be shocked if Bob Casey doesn't take this race seriously. All he needs to do is flash his labor credentials. This would be one of the easiest campaigns to ever manage. Hopefully the Philly Dems are angry enough to turnout.
pikachu
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2016, 06:39:30 PM »

I can't see Casey losing unless Trump's very popular. One important thing to remember is that if Trump's unpopular, any GOP congressman who runs will be smeared with any Trump legislation that's passed in the next two years like we saw with Obamacare in 2010.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2016, 06:40:06 PM »

After this last election, I would be shocked if Bob Casey doesn't take this race seriously. All he needs to do is flash his labor credentials. This would be one of the easiest campaigns to ever manage. Hopefully the Philly Dems are angry enough to turnout.

From reading this site and looking at Republican comments on facebook, you would think that Casey, Stabenow and Baldwin have no chance to win re-election.

In midterms, angry voters will turn out.. in 2018 it is more likely Democrats will be angry.

But that is so easy to say in Dec 2016.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2016, 11:22:17 PM »
« Edited: December 04, 2016, 11:26:17 PM by smoltchanov »

Dold has to be more liberal than IRL, as does Freilinghuysen.  I know Dold is retiring.  In my opinion, if one is not pro-life, they are not a Republican or a conservative.

Bullsh*t. Governors Baker and Scott, Senator Collins and dozens state legislators come to mind immediately. Plus - hundreds former Republican politicians of very high caliber. Right-wing idiocy.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2016, 11:33:23 PM »

Dold has to be more liberal than IRL, as does Freilinghuysen.  I know Dold is retiring.  In my opinion, if one is not pro-life, they are not a Republican or a conservative.

Bullsh*t. Governors Baker and Scott, Senator Collins and dozens state legislators come to mind immediately. Plus - hundreds former Republican politicians of very high caliber. Right-wing idiocy.

Two terrible people and mediocre Senator...great examples!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies