PA-Sen: Barletta is running
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:02:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  PA-Sen: Barletta is running
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: PA-Sen: Barletta is running  (Read 11570 times)
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2016, 11:47:29 PM »

I don't see big difference between Dent and Costello, except on abortion issue (where i, naturally, prefer pro-choice position)
Costello is probably one of the twenty-five most moderate Republicans in the House, whereas Dent is probably in the top three(along with Ileana Ros-Lehtinehen and Richard Hanna).

Dold has to be more liberal than IRL, as does Freilinghuysen.  I know Dold is retiring.  In my opinion, if one is not pro-life, they are not a Republican or a conservative.

Bullsh*t. Governors Baker and Scott, Senator Collins and dozens state legislators come to mind immediately. Plus - hundreds former Republican politicians of very high caliber. Right-wing idiocy.

Two terrible people and mediocre Senator...great examples!

One more bullsh*t. That happens. Especially in empty minds of extremists..
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2016, 12:20:05 AM »

I am the most moderate person on this forum, especially compared to you.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2016, 12:30:36 AM »

I am the most moderate person on this forum, especially compared to you.
Most moderate if you average out all the different positions you've had over time. Seriously, you show no consistency in your views. Anyway, the title of most moderate has to go to Wulfric. Kingpoleon would probably be second.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2016, 01:00:38 AM »

I don't see big difference between Dent and Costello, except on abortion issue (where i, naturally, prefer pro-choice position)
Costello is probably one of the twenty-five most moderate Republicans in the House, whereas Dent is probably in the top three(along with Ileana Ros-Lehtinehen and Richard Hanna).

Dold has to be more liberal than IRL, as does Freilinghuysen.  I know Dold is retiring.  In my opinion, if one is not pro-life, they are not a Republican or a conservative.

Bullsh*t. Governors Baker and Scott, Senator Collins and dozens state legislators come to mind immediately. Plus - hundreds former Republican politicians of very high caliber. Right-wing idiocy.

You know what's the worst part about Moderate Heroes?

The fact that they thing being a centrist automatically makes them smarter and better than those to the left or right.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2016, 03:12:20 AM »
« Edited: December 05, 2016, 03:15:21 AM by smoltchanov »

The fact that they thing being a centrist automatically makes them smarter and better than those to the left or right.

They generally are. At least they know that politics is "an art of compromise". The extreme left and right recognize brute force only. That's why i viscerally despise both. And THE most extreme left or right are so authoritarian that it borders with fascism. They don't recognize anything but "fight until complete extermination of opponents"
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2016, 03:18:50 AM »

They generally are. At least they know that politics is "an art of compromise". The extreme left and right recognize brute force only. That's why i viscerally despise both. And THE most extreme left or right are so authoritarian that it borders with fascism. They don't recognize anything but "fight until complete extermination of opponents"

Feeling is mutual buddy Smiley. Thanks for confirming my point.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2016, 03:40:50 AM »
« Edited: December 05, 2016, 04:23:14 AM by smoltchanov »

I never doubted it in first place)))) But you need us more then we need you)))). At least - for about next 10 years..
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2016, 06:40:54 AM »

I never doubted it in first place)))) But you need us more then we need you)))). At least - for about next 10 years..

See that's the thing, we really don't need you all that much tbh.  We'll inevitably win enough moderate hero votes regardless that most elections will come down to turnout rather than unicorns, swing-voters, and other mythical creatures.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2016, 07:13:36 AM »

Yeah, in anything but a grotesque gerrymander, Meehan's seat will be gone.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2016, 08:26:56 AM »
« Edited: December 05, 2016, 08:36:49 AM by smoltchanov »

See that's the thing, we really don't need you all that much tbh.  We'll inevitably win enough moderate hero votes regardless that most elections will come down to turnout rather than unicorns, swing-voters, and other mythical creatures.

With your approach (going left and ONLY left) you will win less and less moderates every year. And you are in minority already: about 28% of Americans call itself liberals, and 37 - conservatives (with 35 - moderates). So, to win you need about 2/3 of us. And one plus of centrist position - we can choose whom to block with, you have nowhere to go, but in center..
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2016, 10:57:10 AM »

See that's the thing, we really don't need you all that much tbh.  We'll inevitably win enough moderate hero votes regardless that most elections will come down to turnout rather than unicorns, swing-voters, and other mythical creatures.

With your approach (going left and ONLY left) you will win less and less moderates every year. And you are in minority already: about 28% of Americans call itself liberals, and 37 - conservatives (with 35 - moderates). So, to win you need about 2/3 of us. And one plus of centrist position - we can choose whom to block with, you have nowhere to go, but in center..

The most popular candidates with independents this cycle were Trump and Bernie.

We may need some regular people who call themselves moderate because liberals spit on them and cons steal from them. We may need some people who call themselves conservative because their middle class status is slipping through their fingers and they want to hold on to what they have. But we certainly don't need Moderate Hero ideologues, which you are.  
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2016, 12:49:01 PM »
« Edited: December 05, 2016, 12:52:41 PM by smoltchanov »

We may need some regular people who call themselves moderate because liberals spit on them and cons steal from them. We may need some people who call themselves conservative because their middle class status is slipping through their fingers and they want to hold on to what they have. But we certainly don't need Moderate Hero ideologues, which you are.  

I surely will not die because of it. You may be ABSOLUTELY sure of it. Happy losing elections further. Before this year you had an excuse that midyears are bad for you, but Presidential years are good. Now you got big slap in the face, and, what's hilarious- from Trump of all people))). S*ck it! And, because you don't want to learn a lessons, as i already said- happy losing future to you, guys! Be proud of your 2.5 million vote advantage that means nothing in reality.

P.S. I know, the only "ideologues" you need are far left ideologues, which irritated normal people so much, that theye mbraced Trump of all persons. Be proud of it, no one, but you, could make it..
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2016, 01:05:10 PM »
« Edited: December 05, 2016, 10:13:36 PM by Chickenhawk »

Do tell me how Clinton was a far left ideologue. I'm deeply intrigued.

I surely will not die because of it. You may be ABSOLUTELY sure of it. Happy losing elections further. Before this year you had an excuse that midyears are bad for you, but Presidential years are good. Now you got big slap in the face, and, what's hilarious- from Trump of all people))). S*ck it! And, because you don't want to learn a lessons, as i already said- happy losing future to you, guys! Be proud of your 2.5 million vote advantage that means nothing in reality.

P.S. I know, the only "ideologues" you need are far left ideologues, which irritated normal people so much, that theye mbraced Trump of all persons. Be proud of it, no one, but you, could make it..

In what bizarro world is Clinton a left wing ideologue?
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2016, 01:28:32 PM »
« Edited: December 05, 2016, 01:37:53 PM by TheDeadFlagBlues »

Uh, Trump's victory is proof that centrism doesn't win elections in contemporary America. Maybe smoltchanov doesn't realize this because he lives in Russia but Clinton ran as a centrist Democrat and did not emphasize her platform all that often. Her messaging was focused on "values", not on the minimum wage or repealing the Hyde amendment.

Bernie Sanders is the most popular politician in the country. Elizabeth Warren is one of the most popular Democrats in the country. Al Franken crushed his opponent in 2014 and Rick Nolan won this year by running as something of a progressive. If you're looking for evidence that "moderation" matters in the eyes of voters, you won't find it in this year's results. Working class voters respond to radicalism in 2016, not "moderation"; if you want to appeal to the Heartland, running on centrism is a recipe for disaster.

Maybe Democrats need to shoot guns more often in ads or whatever and de-emphasize environmentalism but they can run on a platform of expanding Social Security, creating a single-payer healthcare system, increasing the minimum wage and so on, and win in districts that gave Trump over 60% of the vote. Leftist Democrats regularly crushed Republicans in predecessor districts to ones that gave Trump insane vote shares; many of these Democrats were liberal on most cultural issues as well. Similarly, when Republicans were a class-based bourgeois party, many right-wing purists won in districts that voted for Clinton this year. Remember, Sessions district in Texas voted for Clinton. That district would have sent almost any Republican to Congress this year!

If moderates are favored in many states, it's because they use their bipartisanship as a tool to deliver pork-barrel spending to their constituents, a practice than can hardly be described as centrist so much as it is corrupt rent-seeking behavior reminiscent of the Third World in many respects. People like Baucus and Nelson were loved because they poured money into their states, not because they were "moderate Smiley". Sorry smoltchanov, you don't understand American politics, go home! The issue here is that you think that a person's position on gay marriage is a "left-wing" position.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2016, 01:43:27 PM »

roflcopter

America's two most popular and transformative (Lincoln and FDR) Presidents were "extremists" who largely ignored the idea that "politics is an art compromise". While it is true that both Lincoln and FDR compromised within their own party and evolved on issues in a pretty strategic manner, it's pretty inarguable that they were "extremists" in many respects. Lincoln was the standard bearer of a party that welcomed the American Civil War as an opportunity to abolish slavery (historiography has moved in this direction as of late - chief abolitionist idea was that war-time scenarios were the best grounds to get rid of this institution). FDR, time and time again, challenged tradition in ways that critics could describe as "authoritarian", like when he tried to pack the Supreme Court or the fact that he ran for more than two terms.

Radicals get things done. Moderates do nothing. Politics isn't about the art of compromise, it's about the art of using power effectively as a tool to accomplish societal objectives.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2016, 01:43:51 PM »

Uh, Trump's victory is proof that centrism doesn't win elections in contemporary America. Maybe smoltchanov doesn't realize this because he lives in Russia but Clinton ran as a centrist Democrat and did not emphasize her platform all that often. Her messaging was focused on "values", not on the minimum wage or repealing the Hyde amendment.

Bernie Sanders is the most popular politician in the country. Elizabeth Warren is one of the most popular Democrats in the country. Al Franken crushed his opponent in 2014 and Rick Nolan won this year by running as something of a progressive. If you're looking for evidence that "moderation" matters in the eyes of voters, you won't find it in this year's results. Working class voters respond to radicalism in 2016, not "moderation"; if you want to appeal to the Heartland, running on centrism is a recipe for disaster.

Don't worry about me: i spent enough time in US and have enough relatives here (though i, myself, was forced to return because of personal reasons) to be competent. Yes, i am an Internet-based now (mostly), but even DKE recognizes that Clinton's campaign was "more progressive" then Obama's, and appealed almost exclusively to social liberals, at the expense of good economic programs, so she is as good a centrist as i am ultraconservative))) 28% of liberals (and, BTW, not all of them are very liberal - i have a lot of normal moderate liberal friends, most of which went for Clinton this year, but only barely (holding their nose), and some - decided not to vote at all) can't expect to win without support of moderates - after all tail doesn't wag a dog (and - MUST not). If these 28% will insist on imposing their views on other - they will lose. And, BTW, for every Nolan there is Walz and there is Peterson))) Even in Democratic party (and i don't even need to go into another state to give these examples). I had a good laugh seeng Liberty counrty in Florida (with 75% Democratic registration and almost exclusively Democratic local government) giving Hillary less then 20% of vote. Before that everyone talked racism when it gave Obama about 28%, but she is even white. No, it was a rejection of Democratic policy as presented by party leader. And Bernie? Yes, he could win Iowa. But equally possible that he would lose Virginia.

L
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2016, 01:49:17 PM »
« Edited: December 05, 2016, 01:58:58 PM by smoltchanov »

roflcopter

America's two most popular and transformative (Lincoln and FDR) Presidents were "extremists" who largely ignored the idea that "politics is an art compromise". While it is true that both Lincoln and FDR compromised within their own party and evolved on issues in a pretty strategic manner, it's pretty inarguable that they were "extremists" in many respects. Lincoln was the standard bearer of a party that welcomed the American Civil War as an opportunity to abolish slavery (historiography has moved in this direction as of late - chief abolitionist idea was that war-time scenarios were the best grounds to get rid of this institution). FDR, time and time again, challenged tradition in ways that critics could describe as "authoritarian", like when he tried to pack the Supreme Court or the fact that he ran for more than two terms.

Radicals get things done. Moderates do nothing. Politics isn't about the art of compromise, it's about the art of using power effectively as a tool to accomplish societal objectives.

Lie. On both points. Republican party leaders (including Lincoln) tried to find a compromise with South on slavery issue, but fire-eaters in the South made this impossible. As a rule - compromise with extremists is impossible, because extremists doesn't know what compromise is. And it was THEM who made a first shot of Civil War. And FDR, essentially, sacrificed civil rights in the South (it took Truman and post-war 1948  for it to come to the fore) for the sake of economic recovery and victory in war. Again - compromise. He need Southern votes and couldn't get them otherwise. His attempt to pack the court collapsed EXACTLY because "compromise" was abandoned here - he simply went too far and was rebuffed..

And NOW - both parties became such monstrosity that many people (including me, but absolutely - not only) simply say "plague on BOTH your houses!"
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2016, 02:09:51 PM »

roflcopter

Lie. On both points. Republican party leaders (including Lincoln) tried to find a compromise with South on slavery issue, but fire-eaters in the South made this impossible. As a rule - compromise with extremists is impossible, because extremists doesn't know what compromise is. And it was THEM who made a first shot of Civil War. And FDR, essentially, sacrificed civil rights in the South (it took Truman and post-war 1948  for it to come to the fore) for the sake of economic recovery and victory in war. Again - compromise. He need Southern votes and couldn't get them otherwise. His attempt to pack the court collapsed EXACTLY because "compromise" was abandoned here - he simply went too far and was rebuffed..

And NOW - both parties became such monstrosity that many people (including me, but absolutely - not only) simply say "plague on BOTH your houses!"

I see that you ignored the part of my post where I argued that both politicians compromised within their own parties. Sure, Lincoln compromised with radical Republicans and held together a Republican Party that had a fairly wide-distribution of viewpoints on the pace with which slavery was going to end; FDR certainly compromised with Southern Democrats on civil rights. They still forwarded radical agendas, sowed the fields of their opponents with salt (FDR "I welcome their hate" and, uh, Lincoln signing off on burning the South to the ground).

No offense but I think you see American history as a kind of cartoon or mythology; this is a country defined by violence, by deep societal division, by intractable political divides etc. Under these conditions, the political equilibrium, which tends towards a grinding stability, is punctuated by moments of political revolution and counter-revolution where these societal division becomes translated into the political sphere. This is when "things get done". Social movements and mass political action forces politicians to act by threatening their base of power or by usurping politicians entirely.

The "moderate hero" slur on the forum relates to the fact that it takes a, uh, juvenile mindset to believe that grandstanding solons like Baucus are responsible for "getting things done" when, in reality, they obstruct legislation, gut bills for reasons relating to optics, ruin social reform etc. You see, I actually paid attention to the debate over the ACA and it was the "moderates" who made the bill a steaming pile of poo-poo and that created the conditions for premium spikes. They also destroyed the bill's popularity.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2016, 02:16:23 PM »

^We will never agree. So it will be better if we both stick to our views and end this (essentially - useless) "discussion". You can be sure that as Russian by origin i hate revolutions of all sorts (there were more then enough of them in Russia, even if we forget about other countres, and i know first hand where they lead to). And those Russians, who don't like "permanent revolution", are, essentially, counterrevolutionaries))). Me - too)))
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2016, 02:28:57 PM »

The only pro-business centrist Democrat I can think of that overcame a pretty pro-Trump district is Josh Gottheimer, and really that's mostly because he blew up the airwaves and Scott Garrett is a gross person.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2016, 02:31:36 PM »

Well, I  am very much open to tweaking legislation to address conservative concerns and get it passed, I do agree that going entirely in the middle often results in poor legislation that creates the worst of both worlds. Democrats should have pushed through single payer in 2009/2010. If they had, it would not have been a huge liability like ObamaCare is today.

Even if the single payer program had tweaks, it would not have been the disaster ObamaCare is. It was a Republican lite bill to be honest.

I am more than fine with having moderates if it means we can win very Republican districts though. Smiley
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2016, 02:34:22 PM »

The only pro-business centrist Democrat I can think of that overcame a pretty pro-Trump district is Josh Gottheimer, and really that's mostly because he blew up the airwaves and Scott Garrett is a gross person.

O'Halleran? And not all centrist Democrats this year come from Trump districts: Crist, Schneider and Correa will, most likely, have a a center-left voting record. May be - even Lawson..
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2016, 02:38:09 PM »
« Edited: December 05, 2016, 02:39:42 PM by smoltchanov »

Well, I  am very much open to tweaking legislation to address conservative concerns and get it passed, I do agree that going entirely in the middle often results in poor legislation that creates the worst of both worlds.

And IMHO - vice versa: if done correctly it can be "the best of both worlds". And single-payer would be defeated in 2009: even ObamaCare was passed by 3-4 vote margin with 30+ Democrats(approximately) voting even against it.... You never had votes for single-payer. And unlikely to have anytime soon...
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2016, 02:48:27 PM »

Well, I  am very much open to tweaking legislation to address conservative concerns and get it passed, I do agree that going entirely in the middle often results in poor legislation that creates the worst of both worlds.

And IMHO - vice versa: if done correctly it can be "the best of both worlds". And single-payer would be defeated in 2009: even ObamaCare was passed by 3-4 vote margin with 30+ Democrats(approximately) voting even against it.... You never had votes for single-payer. And unlikely to have anytime soon...

Obamacare sux.. and single payer would have been more popular, so yes we would have had the votes!!!
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2016, 02:53:59 PM »

^We will never agree. So it will be better if we both stick to our views and end this (essentially - useless) "discussion". You can be sure that as Russian by origin i hate revolutions of all sorts (there were more then enough of them in Russia, even if we forget about other countres, and i know first hand where they lead to). And those Russians, who don't like "permanent revolution", are, essentially, counterrevolutionaries))). Me - too)))

Political revolution ought not be equated with revolutions of the violent sort but, fine, we disagree; I think you should stick to, uh, politics elsewhere because you clearly don't understand America very well even if you can identify congressional districts on a map or whatever.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies