SB 2016-043 - Gas Tax of 2016 (Passed Senate)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:52:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SB 2016-043 - Gas Tax of 2016 (Passed Senate)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: SB 2016-043 - Gas Tax of 2016 (Passed Senate)  (Read 2746 times)
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 02, 2016, 07:54:47 PM »
« edited: February 09, 2017, 10:46:59 AM by Clyde1998 »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor - Former Citizen LongLiveRock (Lab)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2016, 04:21:05 AM »

Seeing as gas prices have lowered quite substantially, I'll likely vote for this bill.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2016, 06:40:54 AM »

Could we strike section 2? I'm never a big fan of taxation rises that simply say 'lets put x amount of money raised into y'

I mean we'd be giving 1.9 billion to the EPA (which is a about a 20% increase in it's budget)
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2016, 12:07:07 PM »

Could we strike section 2? I'm never a big fan of taxation rises that simply say 'lets put x amount of money raised into y'

I mean we'd be giving 1.9 billion to the EPA (which is a about a 20% increase in it's budget)

Earmarking is meh. It has upsides and down, but I'd be perfectly fine with y'all getting rid of it. The purpose was similar to like a lottery program for education, or as the gas taxes are currently used for highway reconstruction. I do agree that giving 2 Billion is a ridiculous amount to the EPA (a 25% increase in the budget)

One quick thing (no biggie), LLR is the sponsor. I introduced the amendment.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2016, 06:45:45 PM »

One quick thing (no biggie), LLR is the sponsor. I introduced the amendment.
I've corrected that now.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2016, 06:58:53 PM »

I agree that nearly $2bn is far too much for the EPA's budget to increase. I would, personally, prefer for the tax revenue to be put into the pot, as with other taxes, in this case.

I would be open for money to be earmarked for funding research and development in electric or renewable energy vehicles though.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2016, 04:00:50 PM »

Unless there is any further debate, I will open this to a vote in 24 hours.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2016, 05:55:37 PM »

I will sadly have to veto this bill if it passes in its current form
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2016, 07:36:23 PM »

I propose this amendment:
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2016, 01:09:54 AM »

I actually have a big concern about this and it stems from a potential policy with regards to fracking.

Everybody hates fracking. I get that, but quickly remember something. Remember back in 2006 when everyone was talking about peak oil, gas prices were racing to the moon and then relief came not from energy, but the economy completely collapsing dragging down oil prices with it. What was missed is that during the course of the "recovery" I would say about 2010 to 2012, the world of energy was fundamentally transformed by the growth of hydraulic fracturing. This meant that even as the economy began to hit its stride, in 2014-2016, gas did not go up in price, it crashed again.

This was because not only did US regain lost oil market share, but also because Saudi Arabia and other OPEC countries began dumping oil essentially on the world market in a desperate ploy to regain market share and drive the frackers out of the field. I think this is what countered the 6% floor on unemployment that many said we would never achieve. Money that would have gone into gas, went into consumer spending boosting retail and other sectors. Granted, they aren't middle class jobs but that is a discussion for another thread.

The funny thing was, the science and technology was there in 2006 and 2007. However, everyone in politics, mainstream media and the like ignored it because it was coming from the energy sector and therefore they regarded the predictions/projections on same level of credibility as doctors paid for by big Tobacco. This was a serious situation, people talked of world wide apocalypse and industrial collapse with $500 a barrel oil and $15 a gallon gas. People worried that Iran had the ability to shut down the West by blocking the Strait of Hormuz. Fracking changed all that, and gave us a situation (in real life at least) with 4.6% unemployment and $2.00 a gallon gas, something people would have thought insane save with a time machine to the 1990's.

Now in the present situation, it makes sense to take some added gas tax and invest it in infrastructure. I am not even against putting some of it into the EPA. However, my recommendation, instead of banning Fracking, would be to instead invest a portion of that revenue into research into Energy Extraction technology.

At the end of the day, it was technology that was completely ignored that ended up saving us (literally saving us) and so I have every confidence, like with all environmental related situations, the answer is not to point a shot gun at your feet and pull the trigger, but instead to invest in technology and innovation that will render it pointless.

Go into a Wal-Mart and try to find an incandescent light bulb. Try to find a florescent for that matter. You can find a few of the former, you can find none of the later. Part of this is because of a mandate yes, but it was ultimately technology that produced this result. And I would point out that between LEDs and fracking of Natural gas that crippled coal, and caused many power plants to be converted like the one we live by.

It is my opinion that fracking is already nearing obsolescence and therefore alternative extraction methods are already in the works. Therefore a little nudge to bring up the time table is a far more responsible means of bringing an end to fracking and the risks it imposes on water and other concerns.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2016, 05:03:50 PM »

What's happening with this bill?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2016, 01:29:46 AM »

I guess I put them to sleep. Tongue
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2016, 12:21:56 PM »

This is why I'm considering recesses during the Holidays Tongue
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2016, 11:47:20 PM »

The Vice President makes a very good point. I suggested earlier, we could put money from this towards investment into, and subsidising the cost to the consumer of, carbon neutral vehicles - this could potentially be along with investment into renewable energy (as the VP mentioned). We need to reduce dependency on oil and this could be an opportunity to find a way of doing so. Increasing gas taxes is a good idea to reduce usage of carbon producing vehicles, but there has to be an viable, affordable alternative for people to move to. Otherwise, it's just an additional cost for people, particularly those who are struggling to pay their bills as it is.

As a result, I propose this amendment:
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2016, 06:20:36 PM »

As the original sponsor of this bill, as well as a Senator, I support this amendment.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2016, 06:38:17 PM »

The amendment has been deemed friendly.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2016, 04:08:24 PM »

I am ambivalent about the notion of a gas tax, but I wonder if it doesn't make more sense to fix it to the price of oil than it does inflation. Oil fluctuates in value, and it would probably help to reduce this tax if the price shoots up.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2016, 05:48:22 AM »

It is not a terrible idea, but I would recommend not recessing for more then a few days. Granted, it might be exceedingly difficult in the intermediate period between the holidays to get people on the site, we could potentially get some stuff done during that time and give people both Christmas and New Years off (perhaps a day either side of them as well).
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2016, 05:49:15 AM »

I would once again restate (in shorter terms) my recommendation for investment in cleaner/safer energy extraction methods to replace fracking.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2016, 07:18:36 PM »

I propose this amendment:
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2016, 10:03:58 PM »

That's a lot of money, I don't know...
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2016, 01:12:16 AM »

That's a lot of money, I don't know...
Feel free to suggest a different percentage. I only picked 40% to allocate half of the revenue. We don't need to allocate as much as that, if we don't want to.
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2016, 07:26:51 AM »

However much $5.5 B is... (28.9%, I guess)

Then the amendment is friendly.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2016, 02:15:18 PM »

I'm happy giving $5 billion
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2016, 09:57:26 PM »

I rounded 28.9% up to 30% for this amendment.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies