Virginia 2018 - Will Carly Fiorina run against Tim Kaine?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:25:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Virginia 2018 - Will Carly Fiorina run against Tim Kaine?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Virginia 2018 - Will Carly Fiorina run against Tim Kaine?  (Read 2351 times)
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -4.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 03, 2016, 09:20:31 AM »

There's speculation that Fiorina will run for Kaine's seat, due to her sudden focus on Virginian Republican Party events, and sources close to her. The NOVA residing former presidential candidate ran previously in California against Barbara Boxer, but was defeated.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2016, 09:22:35 AM »

So Republicans aren't contesting Virginia?
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2016, 09:27:42 AM »

So Republicans aren't contesting Virginia?
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2016, 03:30:21 PM »

She would be an amazing candidate, despite the narrative pushed by Atlas. She is very popular among Republicans and she is a very pragmatic business woman, which I think would play very well in virginia. She has a lot of money to combat Tim Kaine and is a great speaker. I do believe she would be a prolific fundraiser too. I endorse her full heartedly should she run.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2016, 03:35:49 PM »

She would be an amazing candidate, despite the narrative pushed by Atlas. She is very popular among Republicans and she is a very pragmatic business woman, which I think would play very well in virginia. She has a lot of money to combat Tim Kaine and is a great speaker. I do believe she would be a prolific fundraiser too. I endorse her full heartedly should she run.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2016, 03:41:39 PM »

That's not why she moved though. She's lived there for several ears now with multiple races having come and gone.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2016, 03:47:52 PM »

I sure hope so. It'll be really nice to not have to contest this race, although I would like it to be at least now a 20 point margin as it would be with Sneed.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2016, 03:50:39 PM »

If they lose the gubernatorial race in 2017, Republicans just need to give up on VA.  It's becoming clear that the state is gone for them.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2016, 03:52:30 PM »

That's not why she moved though. She's lived there for several ears now with multiple races having come and gone.

It will probably be seen that way though, since she previously ran for Senate in California. If she was just a random former CEO who moved to Virginia a few years ago, she might have more of a shot.

Anyway, Democrats should know by now that they can't take Virginia Senate seats for granted, but I think Kaine is probably in good shape.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2016, 03:57:09 PM »

If they lose the gubernatorial race in 2017, Republicans just need to give up on VA.  It's becoming clear that the state is gone for them.

I don't know about this one. House Republicans did great in Virginia this year, and Democrats often won gubernatorial elections there even when it was a solidly Republican state, especially in years with Republican Presidents. It's definitely moving left but it's not completely gone yet.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2016, 04:38:41 PM »

Hard to say. Comstock is the only one who could win, and I suspect that she'll pass on seeking a promotion in a Trump midterm and instead wait for brighter days (pretty likely open seat in 2020, for instance). Perhaps she'll make the opposite calculation of the state being more Republican than her House seat (which was true in 2016, but not in 2012), but I don't think she'll want to run against an incumbent Kaine.

In which case Republicans will just need someone just credible enough to put the race on the table and force Democrats to put in effort here. Fiorina could be that person, why not?
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2016, 05:57:53 PM »

I'm don't think Fiorina would be that bad of a candidate for Virginia.  Sure she's a business insider establishmenty type, but this is the state that elected McDonnell, McAuliffe, and almost voted for Gillespie.  She has credentials as an anti-Trump Republican in a time where Trump will probably be about as popular as mud in the state.

She'd do better than a religious zealot or a conservative populist in NoVa, that's for sure.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2016, 06:02:13 PM »

I'm don't think Fiorina would be that bad of a candidate for Virginia.  Sure she's a business insider establishmenty type, but this is the state that elected McDonnell, McAuliffe, and almost voted for Gillespie.  She has credentials as an anti-Trump Republican in a time where Trump will probably be about as popular as mud in the state.

She'd do better than a religious zealot or a conservative populist in NoVa, that's for sure.

well of course that's taking Carly Fiorina in the abstract - she's actually worse in reality.
FairBol
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2016, 06:25:48 PM »

I thought I heard that Kaine ruled out a run in 2020?
FairBol
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2016, 06:26:29 PM »

Wait...this is VA Governor, I guess.  Never mind, LOL
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2016, 12:51:48 AM »

Carly Fiorina...as in...the Lyingest Liar Who Ever Lied Carly Fiorina?  The woman who sounds like a cackling hen?  The woman who desperately latched onto Ted Cruz's side the week before he had to drop out of the primary race in order for her to stay relevant?!

She'd get demolished in a Trump midterm.  And the GOP can't afford that given Virginia's political trends.
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2016, 01:00:12 AM »

I'm guessing Virginia is a state where carpet bagging is no big deal but she is probably plan C at best
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2016, 01:16:50 AM »

Virginia really isn't moving at all politically these days - it's a state that prefers democrats, yes, but they often underperform expectations and it's never a landslide. Obama was supposed to win by double digits in the state in '08, he only won by 6. McAuliffe was supposed to tar and feather Cuccinelli, but he only won by 3 in the end. Warner was supposed to win by at least 15 points, he won by under a point. Clinton was supposed to win by around 10 points, she won by 5. What this probably means is that while the state will vote democrat in most cases, it is not sold on the party - otherwise it would start voting democratic by double digits - and there is such a thing as the "right republican" for the state. I think Comstock or Rigell would have a good shot of defeating Kaine. Fiorina? Probably not, but who can really say for certain. The old rules of politics don't exist anymore, even in states that went for Clinton.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2016, 12:46:40 PM »

Can we please have a nominee for this seat who isn't a Looney Tune?
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2016, 02:17:13 PM »

Can we please have a nominee for this seat who isn't a Looney Tune?

That would rule out Comstock as well.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2016, 02:34:53 PM »

Well, it'd be nice to not have to worry about defending Virginia.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2016, 02:49:00 PM »

Several ears? I didn't know her plastic surgery was that botched.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2016, 08:18:27 PM »

She will lose to Kaine if she gets the Republican nomination.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2016, 12:08:02 AM »

She will lose to Kaine if she gets the Republican nomination.
Agreed - this race immediately moves to Likely D regardless of the national environment and Safe D when Kaine starts amassing 15-20 point leads.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies