JBE's governorship
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:47:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  JBE's governorship
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: JBE's governorship  (Read 1745 times)
Kerrington
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 03, 2016, 11:16:59 AM »

Doesn't JBE's governorship stand in his path of becoming his party's presidential nominee?
I mean he has to campaign for his reelection for governor in an off-year shortly before the primary process begins - maybe even twice. He would on top of that be running the risk of losing his reelection in that deep red state, which he only won thanks to its extremely unpopular incumbent.
Would you advise him to step down as a governor (in case he runs) so that he can fully focus on his presidential campaign?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2016, 11:23:09 AM »

He's up for reelection in November 2019, just a couple of months before the Iowa caucuses.  So it would obviously not be feasible for him to run for reelection while he's simultaneously campaigning for president in Iowa and New Hampshire, and participating in debates.

So yeah, if he runs for president, it means he's not running for reelection for governor.  Same reason why Jindal would have had to retire after one term if he had run for prez in 2012.
Kerrington
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2016, 01:21:18 PM »

But isn't it grossly unfair on Louisiana's, Mississippi's and Kentucky's governors who want to run for president?
Hadn't their legislatures better move their gubernatorial elections to an even-number year?
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2016, 03:53:17 PM »

Dardenne will run if JBE wants to run for President.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2016, 04:35:13 PM »

This is why I doubt he'll run in 2020. Only way he runs is if he decides he has no hope of winning re-election, but I think he does have a good shot.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2016, 07:12:47 PM »

But isn't it grossly unfair on Louisiana's, Mississippi's and Kentucky's governors who want to run for president?
Hadn't their legislatures better move their gubernatorial elections to an even-number year?
Is it any less fair when Governors of states that have elections on presidential years have to choose between a second term and the White House?

Even in states where gubernatorial elections coincide with the midterms, the overwhelming majority of second term Governors opt not to run for the White House.

In 2016, Kasich and Walker did run. Bentley, Brown, Hickenlooper, Malloy, Scott, Deal, Otter, Branstad, Brownback, LePage, Snyder, Dayton, Sandoval, Martinez, Cuomo, Fallin, Kitzhaber, Haley, Haslam, Daugard, Shumlin and Mead did not. One more candidate ran for Senate (Hassam of New Hampshire, although that's an unusual state with elections every two years.)
Kerrington
Rookie

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2016, 09:03:47 PM »

Is it any less fair when Governors of states that have elections on presidential years have to choose between a second term and the White House?

These are injustices that can easily removed - if wanted. In some states you can run for both offices, like Biden did.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2016, 09:46:31 PM »

These are injustices that can easily removed - if wanted. In some states you can run for both offices, like Biden did.

Pretty sure that those Governors (when in the majority) are happy enough with the desperately low turnout for their challengers that the injustice of it being harder to run for Pres is softened quite a bit.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2016, 10:53:29 PM »

No one runs for President and another office at the same time.

You do have people who lose a primary and stick to their congressional seat (see Rubio and Rand Paul) as well as candidates running for reelection to Congress and Vice-President simultaneously (Joe Lieberman, Joe Biden and Paul Ryan) but they're not going to run for President and another office in another General Election.

Legally, JBE could run for reelection in 2019 while also campaigning for the 2020 primary. It would just be seen as a bad political move.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2016, 10:54:53 PM »

Doesn't JBE's governorship stand in his path of becoming his party's presidential nominee?
I mean he has to campaign for his reelection for governor in an off-year shortly before the primary process begins - maybe even twice. He would on top of that be running the risk of losing his reelection in that deep red state, which he only won thanks to its extremely unpopular incumbent.
Would you advise him to step down as a governor (in case he runs) so that he can fully focus on his presidential campaign?
Can we dispel with this fiction?
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2016, 11:56:23 PM »

I haven't heard anyone make the opposite case, but you seem pretty smart and probably have a lot more information than I do. Why did he win besides (or even irrespective of) David Vitter's... liabilities?
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2016, 07:39:54 AM »

I haven't heard anyone make the opposite case, but you seem pretty smart and probably have a lot more information than I do. Why did he win besides (or even irrespective of) David Vitter's... liabilities?
JBE was the right kind of Democrat for post-Blanco Louisiana. Governor Blanco, despite being elected to a strongly red state, was for the most part a fairly standard Democrat; even by national standards. The only red meat she tossed at conservative Louisianans was a joke of an anti-abortion bill. But other than that, she talked, campaigned and governed like a Democrat.

The only reason she won the way she did was because Louisiana was not ready to elect a guy named Piyush in 2003, no matter how hard he tried to nail the accent.

JBE however, campaigned like a Louisiana Democrat. He didn't have a lot of rallies, or go to big dinners in New Orleans or Baton Rouge. He embraced a very folksy, non-politician persona and had some decently conservative elements to his platform. Yes, Vitter's issues helped JBE, but that isn't the reason JBE won. JBE made very conservative parishes in Louisiana not just competitive, but likely Democrat. These were areas the Democrats had long ceded to the Republicans and figured they could never take back. But Edwards style of campaigning as well as his lack of connections to New Orleans, and general lack of a politician's image, was able to bring cracker country back into the Democratic fold.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2016, 01:28:45 PM »

He's barely to the left of Joe Manchin. Not running.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2016, 01:41:23 PM »

He's barely to the left of Joe Manchin. Not running.

Funnily enough, Manchin allegedly briefly considered running for president in 2016:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=164982.msg4174167#msg4174167
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2016, 06:49:39 PM »

Those decisions were made well before the era of the modern presidential campaign, back when a party's "primary" basically consisted of a few weeks of reaching out to delegates (mainly from your own state) and then going to the convention to begin the smoke-filled room process.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2016, 09:45:51 PM »

I'm not sure it's fiction.

I do wonder how Vitter could be elected to the Senate in 2010 in the wake of his prostitution scandal, but 5 years later be so unpopular as to lose the Governorship and to not seek re-election.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2016, 05:45:08 PM »

I'm not sure it's fiction.

I do wonder how Vitter could be elected to the Senate in 2010 in the wake of his prostitution scandal, but 5 years later be so unpopular as to lose the Governorship and to not seek re-election.
That's what folks who say that JBE only won because of Vitter don't get. Everyone knew since the 2010 senate race that Vitter was a scumbag. Hell, most knew before. And yet he won that. But somehow all of his misdoings catch up to him just in time for the gubernatorial race?
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2016, 05:55:20 PM »

I was pretty excited about him, until I saw he was solidly pro life.

Next!
pikachu
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2016, 06:29:08 PM »

Next!

^This is why, for better or worse, he has no chance at becoming the nominee, even if he wanted it.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2016, 06:34:16 PM »

I am fine with JBE being pro life. If he ran a national contest, he would probably have to take a position like, "I am pro life but realize government can not effectively regulate or stop it".

If he runs in 2020, I would be fully in support of him.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2016, 06:52:50 PM »

I am fine with JBE being pro life. If he ran a national contest, he would probably have to take a position like, "I am pro life but realize government can not effectively regulate or stop it".

Yeah, something like that. He wouldn't exactly have Planned Parenthood Action endorsing him, but then again neither did Bernie.

He has a path, but he needs to run away from the "Southern Conservadem" image. Hard.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2016, 07:20:50 PM »

Yeah, something like that. He wouldn't exactly have Planned Parenthood Action endorsing him, but then again neither did Bernie.

He has a path, but he needs to run away from the "Southern Conservadem" image. Hard.
And then run back to it in the general. Even harder.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2016, 07:22:01 PM »

He could campaign on the more liberal parts of his campaign like wanting to keep New Deal and Great Society programs in place.
pikachu
United States

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2016, 07:28:22 PM »

He'd have to go harder left on abortion than what jimmie is saying. Anything weaker than a staunch pro-choice view is going to lead him to get absolutely hammered by other candidates during debates, ads, etc. Even if Bernie wasn't supported by pro-choice organizations, I don't think anyone actually believed that he wasn't pro-choice.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2016, 07:36:36 PM »

Next!

Yikes.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies