JBE's governorship
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 07:58:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  JBE's governorship
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: JBE's governorship  (Read 1729 times)
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2016, 10:31:30 PM »

I was pretty excited about him, until I saw he was solidly pro life.

Next!

Yikes.

I mean, it's a pretty clearcut issue on either side. If you think it's murder, it makes sense to prosecute murder. If you don't think it's murder, it's a simple issue of personal freedom and it's deeply disturbing that people are restricting other people as if they were about to commit murder.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2016, 04:31:49 AM »

JBE seems like a fantastic governor. He kicks ass and I'd be honored to vote for him in the 2020 primaries if he runs, though obviously he won't make it anywhere near the general election.

Next!

Yikes.

I mean, it's a pretty clearcut issue on either side. If you think it's murder, it makes sense to prosecute murder. If you don't think it's murder, it's a simple issue of personal freedom and it's deeply disturbing that people are restricting other people as if they were about to commit murder.

Well, sure, but people who think it's murder should be able to understand why people don't, and people who don't should be able to understand why people do. And Devout Centrist seems kind of fixated on the issue in a way that's...odd for a pro-choice man. (The reason I make such a big deal about it is that I found out recently that my biological father left my mother because she wouldn't abort me and while that didn't actually change my views it made me a hell of a lot more vocal about them.)
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2016, 02:38:47 PM »

JBE seems like a fantastic governor. He kicks ass and I'd be honored to vote for him in the 2020 primaries if he runs, though obviously he won't make it anywhere near the general election.

Next!

Yikes.

Well, sure, but people who think it's murder should be able to understand why people don't, and people who don't should be able to understand why people do. And Devout Centrist seems kind of fixated on the issue in a way that's...odd for a pro-choice man. (The reason I make such a big deal about it is that I found out recently that my biological father left my mother because she wouldn't abort me and while that didn't actually change my views it made me a hell of a lot more vocal about them.)

Even if you can understand people's reasons for being pro-life, you still might not want that person to be in power. Same goes for the other side I guess.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2016, 03:19:49 PM »

Next!

Yikes.

Oh I understand why people are pro-life, but I vehemently disagree with them. It's one of the few issues I feel very strongly about, perhaps the only one that actually will make me angry.

It's at least partially because of my Catholic education, but it goes far beyond that. Just so we're clear, I really dislike the pro-abortion eugenic crowd, too.

White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2016, 03:21:13 PM »

Next!

Yikes.

Oh I understand why people are pro-life, but I vehemently disagree with them. It's one of the few issues I feel very strongly about, perhaps the only one that actually will make me angry.

It's at least partially because of my Catholic education, but it goes far beyond that. Just so we're clear, I really dislike the pro-abortion eugenic crowd, too.

I really hope that that crowd doesn't exist outside of Atlas.
Cynthia
ueutyi
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -3.63

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2016, 09:47:25 PM »

JBE is conservative enough to beat Vitter on his own right. A Democrat doesn't win 19 points in Louisiana just because his opponent is an asshole. Remember Vitter won reelection in 2010 by 20 points not long after his scandal. Sure, it's 2010, but his principal opponent was a sitting Conservadem Rep.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2016, 09:55:10 PM »

JBE is conservative enough to beat Vitter on his own right. A Democrat doesn't win 19 points in Louisiana just because his opponent is an asshole. Remember Vitter won reelection in 2010 by 20 points not long after his scandal. Sure, it's 2010, but his principal opponent was a sitting Conservadem Rep.
Yeah. It's sad to say that Vitter's scandals don't disqualify him in Louisiana. We tend to elect some scumbags.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2016, 10:30:16 AM »

JBE would be good to appeal to the Democrats traditional base: The working and middle classes. Also, he strikes me as the sort of guy who'd be willing to coordinate and compromise with the revitalised left wing of the Democrats.

Say he wins the nomination, if he picks a left-winger as his running mate; someone like Elizabeth Warren, Sherrod Brown, Tulsi Gabbard or hell, even Russ Feingold, he'd be in a strong position. Particularly because as a Governor, he already has executive experience. Couple that with some with experience in the House or Senate, and you have a deadly combination.

So would I support him? Lukewarmly at first. If he picks a progressive as his running mate though, I'd go all-out.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies