JBE's governorship (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 02:46:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  JBE's governorship (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: JBE's governorship  (Read 1769 times)
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« on: December 03, 2016, 09:46:31 PM »

But isn't it grossly unfair on Louisiana's, Mississippi's and Kentucky's governors who want to run for president?
Hadn't their legislatures better move their gubernatorial elections to an even-number year?
Is it any less fair when Governors of states that have elections on presidential years have to choose between a second term and the White House?

These are injustices that can easily removed - if wanted. In some states you can run for both offices, like Biden did.

Pretty sure that those Governors (when in the majority) are happy enough with the desperately low turnout for their challengers that the injustice of it being harder to run for Pres is softened quite a bit.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2016, 11:56:23 PM »

Doesn't JBE's governorship stand in his path of becoming his party's presidential nominee?
I mean he has to campaign for his reelection for governor in an off-year shortly before the primary process begins - maybe even twice. He would on top of that be running the risk of losing his reelection in that deep red state, which he only won thanks to its extremely unpopular incumbent.
Would you advise him to step down as a governor (in case he runs) so that he can fully focus on his presidential campaign?
Can we dispel with this fiction?

I haven't heard anyone make the opposite case, but you seem pretty smart and probably have a lot more information than I do. Why did he win besides (or even irrespective of) David Vitter's... liabilities?
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 06:52:50 PM »

I am fine with JBE being pro life. If he ran a national contest, he would probably have to take a position like, "I am pro life but realize government can not effectively regulate or stop it".

If he runs in 2020, I would be fully in support of him.

Yeah, something like that. He wouldn't exactly have Planned Parenthood Action endorsing him, but then again neither did Bernie.

He has a path, but he needs to run away from the "Southern Conservadem" image. Hard.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 10:31:30 PM »

I was pretty excited about him, until I saw he was solidly pro life.

Next!

Yikes.

I mean, it's a pretty clearcut issue on either side. If you think it's murder, it makes sense to prosecute murder. If you don't think it's murder, it's a simple issue of personal freedom and it's deeply disturbing that people are restricting other people as if they were about to commit murder.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies