2014 Republican victories that seem less impressive now?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 07:26:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2014 Republican victories that seem less impressive now?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2014 Republican victories that seem less impressive now?  (Read 721 times)
Figueira
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 03, 2016, 04:59:30 PM »

I think Joni Ernst and Bruce Poliquin don't look like juggernauts anymore.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2016, 05:05:12 PM »

Yeah, 2014 wasn't really a Republican wave on the Senate level. They won all the Romney states, yes, but they barely managed to win CO against a terrible Democrat and underperformed in several Romney states. That's why this idea that 2018 is going to be a Democratic wave year in the Senate is exaggerated. I think the general trend we're seeing is that blue states are electing Democratic Senators and red states are electing Republican Senators (even though red state Democrats are still much better off than blue state Republicans).
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2016, 05:27:04 PM »

Yeah, 2014 wasn't really a Republican wave on the Senate level. They won all the Romney states, yes, but they barely managed to win CO against a terrible Democrat and underperformed in several Romney states. That's why this idea that 2018 is going to be a Democratic wave year in the Senate is exaggerated. I think the general trend we're seeing is that blue states are electing Democratic Senators and red states are electing Republican Senators (even though red state Democrats are still much better off than blue state Republicans).
Of course you also have to remember how retirements hurt Democrats badly. Harkin and Johnson may have won reelection if they wanted to, but Rockefeller and Baucus would have likely still gone down (the former supported the war on coal, the latter wrote much of Obamacare himself). And partisan trends finally caught up to Landrieu and Pryor.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2016, 06:30:01 PM »

I do not think anyone thinks 2018 will be a Democratic wave on the Senate level but I do not think every single Trump State democrat will lose either.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2016, 06:44:26 PM »

I do not think anyone thinks 2018 will be a Democratic wave on the Senate level but I do not think every single Trump State democrat will lose either.

A Democratic wave doesn't mean that the Democrats gain a lot of Senate seats; it means that each state is unusually Democratic. 2012 was a Democratic wave even though few seats changed hands.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2016, 10:44:58 PM »

Cotton for sure. I know that the beltway establishment loves to anoint a savior of the party or whatever, but Cotton was massively over hyped and thus landed with a massive thud.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2016, 12:10:11 AM »

Cotton seems very overrated now.
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2016, 12:26:37 AM »

I think he seemed strong at the time because Pryor had Manchin-like approvals and many felt that he was a good fit for the state, being a top target during a midterm can cause favorable to tank which is why Heitkamp and Manchin both are looking for escape hatches in a Trump administration
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2016, 12:30:30 AM »

The other factor with Pryor was that in 2008, no republican filed to run against him. He won 80%-20% over a green party candidate. Even in these deep red and deep blue states, there will usually be some random person from the out-of-power party who just files for the heck of it, but literally no one did. I think a lot of people saw that and tried to extrapolate from it to 2014.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2016, 12:39:00 AM »

If Rick Scott wasn't such a Trump-like candidate (without the vulgarity), he probably would have won by 5-8% or so as opposed to his narrow 1%.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2016, 03:43:52 PM »

The other factor with Pryor was that in 2008, no republican filed to run against him. He won 80%-20% over a green party candidate. Even in these deep red and deep blue states, there will usually be some random person from the out-of-power party who just files for the heck of it, but literally no one did. I think a lot of people saw that and tried to extrapolate from it to 2014.
I know that many of the Green Party's voters were longtime Republicans.

There only ~74,000 less voters in the Senate race than in the Presidential race. That's roughly a mere 6.8% drop in votes.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2016, 05:14:13 PM »

I think he seemed strong at the time because Pryor had Manchin-like approvals and many felt that he was a good fit for the state, being a top target during a midterm can cause favorable to tank which is why Heitkamp and Manchin both are looking for escape hatches in a Trump administration

Maybe at the very beginning but the race became very clear pretty quickly.

Pryor was the most obvious lost cause of 2014.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies