How would you feel if Clinton won the EC while losing the PV?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:45:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  How would you feel if Clinton won the EC while losing the PV?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How would you feel if Clinton won the EC while losing the PV?  (Read 980 times)
Pericles
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 04, 2016, 03:47:08 AM »

What if Hillary Clinton won the Electoral College while losing the popular vote? Say she does worse in blue states like California and in red states like Utah, Kansas, Missouri and Texas. However in this scenario the Republican nominee has less swing state support with non-college educated whites and is unable to compensate. Just to make it plausible, say the Republican nominee TTL is Ted Cruz. Cruz does better with Republicans, college-educated whites and women, and gets bigger wins in red states and smaller losses in blue states. Plus he does great in Texas. However, unlike Trump, his support is not calibrated right for swing states. Cruz loses non-college educated whites there and is too weak a candidate to compensate elsewhere. He loses the electoral college by losing Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Michigan and Florida. Clinton wins 308-230 EV but, because of the reasons above, loses the popular vote.

Hillary Clinton/Tim Kaine-Democratic: 308 EV 46.71%
Ted Cruz/Carly Fiorina-Republican: 230 EV 48.43%
Ok, so it's essentially the OTL result in reverse. Now, ignore that it is Ted Cruz in this scenario. That was just to establish how it is in fact possible. Think about what if the 2016 result had been in reverse? As a Republican, how would you feel? Would this effect your opinion about the Electoral College? As a Democrat, does it effect your opinion of the Electoral College? How would this result make you feel? I want to see if opposition and support to the Electoral College is being shaped by the partisan bias of this election and its results. So try think about it the other way. What do you think would be the effect of this result? And how would you react to it? So fire away!
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 10:49:17 AM »

I was against the electoral college before the election, so I would still be against it.

Also, I do believe that Trump deserves the presidency since the contest rested on the electoral college. While the electoral college is not a good system, we must follow it while it is still a part of the rules.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 04:41:22 PM »

If Clinton won the EC while losing the  PV, then Clinton wins the election and becomes President.

Pure and simple.

I would not be happy that she becomes President, but at the same time I would not dispute in the least the fact that she has every right to become President.

If Hillary won the EC and was even 5,000,000 votes behind Trump in the PV, I still would not dispute in any way, shape, or form that she has every right to become President.

I would not go running around yelling and screaming like Democrats are doing now about Trump.

I would not go around writing illegal and disgusting graffiti on buildings and acting like a moron like Democrats are doing now about Trump.

I would accept completely and unquestionably the fact that Hillary will be sworn in as President in January, and that she every right to do so.

It would not effect my opinion of the Electoral College at all.  I would still be a strong supporter of the Electoral College.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 04:44:03 PM »

I wouldn't have enjoyed it, because I loathe Hillary, but I wouldn't have problems with her "legitimacy".

My issues with the legitimacy of Bush 43 was not the PV, but the manner in which the issue of the FL recount was decided.
zorkpolitics
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2016, 06:39:17 PM »

If she won the EC and lost the PV or won the EC and won the PV I'd feel exactly the same: I would feel disappointed that she became President.  The PV is irrelevant.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 03:07:46 AM »

Given the choices in this election, I am not ashamed to say that I care less about democracy than I do about having the obviously better person become president.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 03:26:36 AM »

Better than I do now.
DPKdebator
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: 3.65

P P P

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2016, 08:26:24 AM »

If Clinton won the EC while losing the  PV, then Clinton wins the election and becomes President.

Pure and simple.

I would not be happy that she becomes President, but at the same time I would not dispute in the least the fact that she has every right to become President.

If Hillary won the EC and was even 5,000,000 votes behind Trump in the PV, I still would not dispute in any way, shape, or form that she has every right to become President.

I would not go running around yelling and screaming like Democrats are doing now about Trump.

I would not go around writing illegal and disgusting graffiti on buildings and acting like a moron like Democrats are doing now about Trump.

I would accept completely and unquestionably the fact that Hillary will be sworn in as President in January, and that she every right to do so.

It would not effect my opinion of the Electoral College at all.  I would still be a strong supporter of the Electoral College.

Pretty much this. I find it absolutely unacceptable that a democratic election has resulted in riots- just because your safe space has been violated, doesn't mean you have to make everyone else suffer.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2016, 09:39:44 AM »

I would support Hillary becoming President as she won under the rules of the game. However, I would be hopeful that we could get the EC abolished in that now both parties, in recent memory, have lost election while winning the popular vote.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2016, 10:40:48 AM »

would've said "a stopped clock is right twice a day" or w/e
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies