How's Lieberman?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:55:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  How's Lieberman?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: How's Lieberman?  (Read 7252 times)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2003, 05:06:59 PM »

There's a show in the US (maybe Europe too) with Paris Hilton and Nicole Ritchie where these two rich girls go to live on a farm in Arkansas.  One reviewer I read said that Mao Zedong himself couldn't have come up with a better documentary against the rich.

I agree that the attitude of some wealthy people is a major problem, particularly when they didn't earn the money with which they have been endowed.  But I don't think government has a right to confiscate private property, even from people like this.

Neither, do I, neither do I.
jravnsbo

« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2003, 11:53:08 PM »

Gore stabbed Lieberman hard int he back.  Not in endorsing Dean, which is not in line with the ideas goere ran on in 2000, but in not at least giving hima  courtesy call beforehand.

Thank God Gore is not at the helm.

After Al Gore backed Governor Dean instead of Gore’s running mate Senator Joe Lieberman dose he still have a chance or dose he still want to run? Lieberman said he would withdraw from the race if Gore ran. What’s going on?
jravnsbo

« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2003, 11:56:31 PM »

lieberman has a chance, but it is very slim in the dem party.  He is too far to the right for them, by being a moderate.

Mort from NewYawk
MortfromNewYawk

« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2003, 02:23:34 PM »

As one who would only vote Democrat if Lieberman is the nominee, I would hate to see the Democrats reject him.

However, unless he makes a better than expected showing in New Hampshire, followed by some wins over Edwards in the South, he's toast. Shame for a guy like Lieberman, a quiet but brilliant and earnest man, that voters are swayed more by style, and media "take", than by substance and policy.
jravnsbo

« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2003, 02:27:58 PM »

welcoem to the discussion Mort.
jravnsbo

« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2003, 02:32:59 PM »

Lieberman is even questioning Roe v Wade, which might be good politics for the general election, not good politics for the Dem primary.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2003, 08:46:57 PM »

That's one of the things I always liked about Lieberman -- his willingness to question some of the dubious Democratic orthodoxies.
jravnsbo

« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2003, 10:20:10 AM »

--Dean: save me from the Democrats! and how ridiculous that sounds as Lieberman points out.

Lieberman: Dean Will 'Melt' Under GOP Attacks
Rival Says It Was 'Outrageous' for Front-Runner to Suggest Party Shield Him

Sen. Joseph I. Lieberman (D-Conn.) charged yesterday that former Vermont governor Howard Dean will "melt in a minute" under Republican attacks if he becomes the Democratic presidential nominee and said it was "outrageous" of Dean to suggest that Democratic National Committee Chairman Terry McAuliffe step in and shield him from growing criticism by his rivals.

Lieberman pounced on a comment Dean made Sunday in which he criticized McAuliffe for allowing the other Democratic candidates to attack him. "If we had strong leadership in the Democratic Party, they would be calling those other candidates and saying, 'Hey look, somebody's going to have to win here,' " Dean said. He added that "if Ron Brown were chairman, this wouldn't be happening," referring to the late former DNC chairman.

Dean spoke with McAuliffe yesterday morning to clear the air. They chatted for about five minutes, according to Dean aide Kate O'Connor, who called the conversation "very, very friendly," but refused to elaborate. DNC spokeswoman Debra DeShong also declined to describe the content of what she said was a private conversation. She offered no indication McAuliffe was prepared to intervene in the escalating fight between Dean and his rivals. "The chairman understands and the message is that politics is a combat sport, and ultimately it's going to be up to the voters to decide what they like and don't like," DeShong said.

Dean and McAuliffe talk often, as do their top aides, but several Democrats described the relationship between the front-runner and the DNC chairman as civil though sometimes awkward. McAuliffe is a close friend of former president Bill Clinton, whose former top aides are playing leading roles for some of Dean's rivals. As party chairman, McAuliffe has remained neutral in the race and turned to Dean for fundraising help on a few occasions. If Dean wins the nomination, he could shake up the DNC leadership.

Dean's rivals have no plans to back off.

Lieberman, who has been one of Dean's harshest and most persistent critics, said he found it "stunning" that the former governor was calling for help to fend off attacks after launching the first negative ad of the campaign and after answering criticism "not with substance but with personal insults." Earlier this year, Dean ran the first ad of the campaign that specifically mentioned one of his rivals.

Rep. Richard A. Gephardt (Mo.), the target of that ad, yesterday echoed Lieberman, as did Sen. John F. Kerry (Mass.). "Howard Dean has spent the last year criticizing me and other candidates at every opportunity," Gephardt said. "Now, as he makes a series of embarrassing gaffes that underscore the fact he is not well equipped to challenge George Bush, he suddenly wants to change the rules of the game."

Over the past few weeks, Dean's rivals have grown more pointed in their attacks, and Dean has been forced to explain or clarify several controversial remarks.

Lieberman said he believes the attacks are prompting many Democrats to rethink their support of Dean.

"I've got some news for Howard Dean," Lieberman added. "The primary campaign is a warm-up compared to what George Bush and Karl Rove have waiting for him. . . . He's going to melt in a minute once the Republicans start going after him."

Jay Carson, spokesman for Dean, said the Vermont Democrat is running a positive campaign that can generate the money and momentum to beat Bush. He said it is Dean's rivals who are doing the attacking -- out of desperation. "The politics of attack . . . is exactly the kind of politics that turns off voters and suppresses turnout," Carson said. "It's bad for the party."

Mort from NewYawk
MortfromNewYawk

« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2003, 10:33:23 AM »

Lieberman is the only Democratic candidate I trust to carry on the war against terror and theocratic tyranny in the Middle East with the perseverance the Bush team has shown thus far.

The best conservative Democrats have always been members of the Senate Armed Services Committee (Gary Hart and Sam Nunn come to mind - I'm not sure about the father of the modern conservative Democrat, Henry Jackson).

While Lieberman as President would give me confidence in our foreign policy (issue #1 for me), he would also create alliances in Congress to promote the public good with regard to the environment, taking on the oil and gas industries where necessary (issue #2 for me).
jravnsbo

« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2003, 10:46:22 AM »

Mort I got Sen Zell Millers "A National Party no More" and I think you would like it from your post.  I just read his chapter ont eh environment.  After I'm done I plan on posting some passages, but he just talks with common sense and what is right.  I think you'll like it with the issues you mention.

Lieberman is the only Democratic candidate I trust to carry on the war against terror and theocratic tyranny in the Middle East with the perseverance the Bush team has shown thus far.

The best conservative Democrats have always been members of the Senate Armed Services Committee (Gary Hart and Sam Nunn come to mind - I'm not sure about the father of the modern conservative Democrat, Henry Jackson).

While Lieberman as President would give me confidence in our foreign policy (issue #1 for me), he would also create alliances in Congress to promote the public good with regard to the environment, taking on the oil and gas industries where necessary (issue #2 for me).
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2003, 11:27:34 AM »

As one who would only vote Democrat if Lieberman is the nominee, I would hate to see the Democrats reject him.
Well I guess you aren't voting Democratic then.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies