Have you gotten snow yet this season?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 06:32:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Have you gotten snow yet this season?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Poll
Question: Have you gotten snow yet?
Yes!

No!

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 94

Author Topic: Have you gotten snow yet this season?  (Read 10061 times)
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: December 30, 2016, 11:52:13 PM »

No. It doesn't snow where I live.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #76 on: December 31, 2016, 03:56:52 PM »
« Edited: December 31, 2016, 04:19:47 PM by Torie »

It's called the Tug Hill, or "the Tug Hill Plateau" if you prefer being hyper-correct about geomorphology. No one says "Tug Hill."

I am a newbie to the region, so please be patient with me, if you find that within you to do so. Thanks.

Anyway, Wiki makes the same mistake. You might edit the page to make the appropriate correction. That was what led me astray in my nomenclature actually. It also notes that the Tug Hill Plateau is not in fact a plateau at all, and thus I eschewed using the term "plateau," but I digress. Cheers.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #77 on: December 31, 2016, 07:27:22 PM »

Thankfully, it has all melted!

My friend (born in Wisconsin, grew up with me in Iowa City) is currently in Nashville for law school, and he was telling me it was hilarious to have to explain to some of the Southerners that even once it has stopped snowing, the snow just ... stays on the ground until it's warm enough for it to melt.  They could not comprehend that we have snow on the ground for several weeks, and it never leaves, hahaha.
Yeah where Im from the average date when snow sticks until spring is Nov 20th and the average first day of no snow is early April.  But I remember a couple winters where we had snow lying the first week of Nov and it didnt fully melt until right around May 1st.

Yet other winters like 2011/12 we probably only had 3 weeks of decent snowcover and then only in February.  (By decent I mean at least 6"+)
kcguy
Romania

« Reply #78 on: January 01, 2017, 10:25:01 AM »

Yeah where Im from the average date when snow sticks until spring is Nov 20th and the average first day of no snow is early April.  But I remember a couple winters where we had snow lying the first week of Nov and it didnt fully melt until right around May 1st.

That sounds so depressing.  Snow here normally doesn't last more than 3 to 5 days.

A couple times a decade, we'll have a cold spell where the temperature stays below freezing for two to three solid weeks, and it feels at that point like winter will never end.

Of course, every region has its own drawbacks.  Here in KC we do that continual freeze/thaw thing that is so "wonderful" for our roads.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #79 on: January 01, 2017, 01:46:47 PM »

I actually find this freeze thaw cycle in Chicago to be thoroughly depressing...no snow, cold rain, cold wind...Chicago winters are dismal.

Not to mention Chicago gets the least snow of any place on the great lakes, rarely gets big winter storms, and generally is accompanied by 700mph winds wailing off the flat, treeless plain that surrounds the city. 

Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #80 on: January 03, 2017, 01:12:46 PM »

Next Monday to Wednesday a huge snow storm is predicted.

We will likely get 1-2 feet of snow here ... Smiley

This is going to be big, according to the forecast.

2-4 feet of fresh snow up on the mountains.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #81 on: January 03, 2017, 02:55:35 PM »

A vague semblance of snow for about a couple hours one morning.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #82 on: January 05, 2017, 04:14:59 AM »

Yeah, it dumped around 1 foot down here in the valley overnight and about a meter (3 feet up on the mountain).

Still snowing heavily and much more snow expected over the next few days ...
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #83 on: January 05, 2017, 12:59:20 PM »

I actually find this freeze thaw cycle in Chicago to be thoroughly depressing...no snow, cold rain, cold wind...Chicago winters are dismal.

Not to mention Chicago gets the least snow of any place on the great lakes, rarely gets big winter storms, and generally is accompanied by 700mph winds wailing off the flat, treeless plain that surrounds the city. 

Having lots of snow is depressing, give me -10 and wind for the whole winter and no snow and we're fine.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #84 on: January 05, 2017, 01:19:35 PM »

We had a dusting last Friday, but we might be getting something more substantial tonight.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #85 on: January 05, 2017, 01:59:06 PM »

Having lots of snow is depressing, give me -10 and wind for the whole winter and no snow and we're fine.

..You're talking about Celsius and not Fahrenheit, right? Shocked
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #86 on: January 05, 2017, 02:42:09 PM »

We'll get a Siberian cold tomorrow, with temps around -25°C and around 100 mph winds ...

And after it had 1-3 feet of snow today.

And more snow on Saturday and Sunday.

Winter is definitely here ...

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.thelocal.at/20170105/storm-axel-descends-polar-freeze-over-austria
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #87 on: January 05, 2017, 04:04:48 PM »

I understand the sentiment but I don't believe you would really prefer -10 and wind and no snow for months.  It would probably result in much of WI's forests permanently dying as the ground freezes too deeply and thoroughly to keep the tree roots protected.  Your house pipes would constantly freeze.  And you'd be very depressed.

The same goes for deep, constant snow for months.

The winter of 2013/2014 was the worst in nearly 80 years in MN.  We had weeks of below zero, heavy snow, etc.  Pipes froze, roads got ravaged, and immense numbers of trees died.  There were blaze orange evergreens all over.  It saps the life out of you.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #88 on: January 05, 2017, 04:07:34 PM »

Still nope. Sad!
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #89 on: January 05, 2017, 10:19:58 PM »

None yet, but we have some forecast this weekend, possibly up to four inches.
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #90 on: January 06, 2017, 03:40:15 AM »

No
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #91 on: January 06, 2017, 04:01:00 AM »

We'll get a Siberian cold tomorrow, with temps around -25°C and around 100 mph winds ...

And after it had 1-3 feet of snow today.

Webcam:

(Freezing cold outside ... but at least today is a holiday, so I can fire up my tiled stove Wink)

angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #92 on: January 06, 2017, 08:17:11 AM »
« Edited: January 06, 2017, 08:32:24 AM by angus »

We had a proper, but small, snowfall last night.  I noticed it coming down starting about 8pm.  It must have snowed only a brief period.  When I awoke the ground was covered with snow, but since my son's school was not canceled or delayed, I knew it would be a small one.  I estimate just over 4 cm, or just under 5 cm, evenly distributed.  The even distribution indicates that there was little or no breeze during the evening while it snowed.  I used my hand, not a ruler, and the snow came about midway up the proximal phalange on the index finger of my right hand.  

After the bus picked up the boy I shoveled the drive and sidewalk.  Normally I wouldn't bother with such a small amount but it will be cold all weekend and the snow may not melt quickly.  It is currently 21°F and the temperature is not expected to rise above the freezing point of water till after Monday. Better to push it away now than wait till people walk or drive over it.

World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #93 on: January 06, 2017, 12:59:24 PM »

About two feet today, with more on the way overnight and tomorrow.

Today was my first snow day in a couple of years. Enjoyed the time out of the office but wasn't able to make much of it. Most of the day was the kind of whiteout in which you can get lost in your own front yard.

I think Greenfield got a southeastern corner of this same storm. Just a dusting on top of the remaining accumulation from the past few weeks.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #94 on: January 06, 2017, 01:17:38 PM »

In the area i live, Porto Metropolitan Area, it rarely snows but December was very dry and there is few snow in the mountains, particularly in Serra da Estrela. In my area it only rained like 4 or 5 days and temperatures were quite pleasant at around 16ºC (61ºF).
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #95 on: January 06, 2017, 01:52:58 PM »

In the area i live, Porto Metropolitan Area, it rarely snows but December was very dry and there is few snow in the mountains, particularly in Serra da Estrela. In my area it only rained like 4 or 5 days and temperatures were quite pleasant at around 16ºC (61ºF).

Somehow I'd love to be in Portugal right now.

But I also like the winter, so no problem really.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #96 on: January 06, 2017, 05:26:35 PM »

Well it just snowed today here. I swear this morning, there was just sleet and then I wake up after 4 to see that there is a Winter Wonderland outside. Lol.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #97 on: January 07, 2017, 12:43:51 AM »

No.  Might get a little wintry mix in the morning, but nothing that will stick.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #98 on: January 07, 2017, 10:25:16 AM »

In that depressing phase where there is barely any snow on the ground at all (hasn't legit snowed since well before Christmas and got warm enough to melt it) - just like "gusts" or whatever - but it is so God damn cold that it's not going anywhere for a while!

13 degrees right now, and it feels warm compared to last night.  Midwest!
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #99 on: January 07, 2017, 12:44:50 PM »

It's been so cold this week.  Depressing and dark and windy.  I use the pedway as much as possible.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies