I want to replace my state's bicameral legislature. What kind would be best?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:21:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  I want to replace my state's bicameral legislature. What kind would be best?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Partisan or nonpartisan? Unicameral or tricameral?
partisan unicameral (R)

partisan unicameral (D)

partisan unicameral (I/O/L/S/C/G)

nonpartisan unicameral (R)

nonpartisan unicameral (D)

nonpartisan unicameral (I/O/L/S/C/G)

partisan tricameral (R)

partisan tricameral (D)

partisan tricameral (I/O/L/S/C/G)

nonpartisan tricameral (R)

nonpartisan tricameral (D)

nonpartisan tricameral (I/O/L/S/C/G)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 10

Author Topic: I want to replace my state's bicameral legislature. What kind would be best?  (Read 833 times)
I知 not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 04, 2016, 06:47:03 PM »

I want to get rid of the current bicameral legislature of my home state of California because I'm not satisfied with it. Which one of these legislature types would be best: partisan unicameral, nonpartisan unicameral, partisan tricameral, or nonpartisan tricameral? I would like you to participate in this poll.
Cashew
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 07:08:14 PM »

Nonpartisan unicameral.

I am left wondering what the 3rd house you proposed would consist of however? Functional constituencies like in Hong Kong?
I知 not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 07:16:01 PM »
« Edited: December 04, 2016, 07:31:20 PM by ERM64man »

Nonpartisan unicameral.

I am left wondering what the 3rd house you proposed would consist of however? Functional constituencies like in Hong Kong?
The lower house would be the Assembly, the middle house the Senate, and this third upper house would be regional districts larger than the Senate districts. The idea behind this is to balance the power between the legislature and governor in order to prevent controversial bills from being passed without the governor's approval. Each regional district in the third house would be apportioned according to "one person one vote". Members of the third house would be directly elected by the people.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 12:36:21 AM »

Nonpartisan unicameral.

The lower house would be the Assembly, the middle house the Senate, and this third upper house would be regional districts larger than the Senate districts. The idea behind this is to balance the power between the legislature and governor in order to prevent controversial bills from being passed without the governor's approval. Each regional district in the third house would be apportioned according to "one person one vote". Members of the third house would be directly elected by the people.

So literally just creating larger constituencies.

Typically in tricamerical systems the third house is elected through a different method than the other two houses, or the third house is comprised of members of the lower two houses selected by the executive/legislative leadership.
I知 not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2016, 01:51:36 AM »
« Edited: December 06, 2016, 01:53:18 AM by ERM64man »

Nonpartisan unicameral.

Typically in tricamerical systems the third house is elected through a different method than the other two houses, or the third house is comprised of members of the lower two houses selected by the executive/legislative leadership.
Yes, just larger constituencies represented by regional representatives elected by the people. It isn't modeled after any specific system, it was just my idea. What advantages might this system have?
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2016, 02:14:52 PM »

Nonpartisan unicameral.

Yes, just larger constituencies represented by regional representatives elected by the people. It isn't modeled after any specific system, it was just my idea. What advantages might this system have?

None its redundant.

Bicameral state legislatures are dumb if both houses are elected FPTP, single district.  If you're going to create an upper-house then base it on the concept of "one-state, one-vote" or "one-county, one-vote".
I知 not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2016, 08:20:33 PM »
« Edited: December 06, 2016, 08:32:08 PM by ERM64man »

Nonpartisan unicameral.

None its redundant.

Bicameral state legislatures are dumb if both houses are elected FPTP, single district.  If you're going to create an upper-house then base it on the concept of "one-state, one-vote" or "one-county, one-vote".
California does not use FPTP, it uses a two round runoff; but my idea is to make all three houses use IRV. Is that a good idea? What about bicameral with IRV in both houses, is that better than unicameral?
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2016, 11:04:45 PM »

Nonpartisan unicameral.

None its redundant.

Bicameral state legislatures are dumb if both houses are elected FPTP, single district.  If you're going to create an upper-house then base it on the concept of "one-state, one-vote" or "one-county, one-vote".
California does not use FPTP, it uses a two round runoff; but my idea is to make all three houses use IRV. Is that a good idea? What about bicameral with IRV in both houses, is that better than unicameral?

Question:  What is the point of a bicameral legislature?

Most would say its so that either house can provide a "check" on the other.  The fundamentally different natures of the U.S. House and Senate allow for each house to serve as an effective check on the other.  I fail to see the benefit of bicameral legislatures where both houses are operated almost identically except for the difference in constituency sizes.
I知 not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2016, 04:20:11 PM »

Nonpartisan unicameral.

None its redundant.

Question:  What is the point of a bicameral legislature?

Most would say its so that either house can provide a "check" on the other.  The fundamentally different natures of the U.S. House and Senate allow for each house to serve as an effective check on the other.  I fail to see the benefit of bicameral legislatures where both houses are operated almost identically except for the difference in constituency sizes.
Each chamber is different in terms, not just constituency size. The CA Assembly has a limit of six 2-year terms, the State Senate has a limit of three 4-year terms. One class of State Senators is elected in presidential years, with the other class being elected in midterms. Do you think a partisan or nonpartisan legislature is better?
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2016, 05:01:02 PM »

Each chamber is different in terms, not just constituency size. The CA Assembly has a limit of six 2-year terms, the State Senate has a limit of three 4-year terms. One class of State Senators is elected in presidential years, with the other class being elected in midterms. Do you think a partisan or nonpartisan legislature is better?

There's no such thing as a nonpartisan legislature. You can take the party labels off the ballots, but factions are inevitable in any legislative body in a representative democracy.
I知 not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2016, 05:10:52 PM »

As opposed to six 2-year terms for assembly and 4 for state senate, why not three 6-year terms for the house of regional representatives (the third house, which is the upper house)? Regional representatives can serve longer than members of the other houses. This should serve as a check to the other houses. Is this a good idea?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies